• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crank no start

Need help

• Chevrolet 6.5 turbodiesel 1995

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crank no start

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello, over the weekend i made a lot of testing. Everthing seams ok exept the signal from the cps. Without replace the cps i plug a New acdelco cps in and hold it to a metal.
Ignition on but the check engine light is still on and Code 19. There is no Power on this line. I could not find where this po should come from.

I figure if it ever comes to replacing the CPS on My 2000 K3500, I`m going to look it over for grinding some off that mounting bracket to keep from having to remove and re install it to get the CPS replaced.
iirc, when I looked at it while doing the tune up, it did not seem like more than about a 1/16th of an inch would have to be sanded away.
I did install a new CPS while I had it all ripped apart for the timing chain/sprockets.

To replace the cps on my winnebago means to remove the Front Axel. The cps is behinde the oil pump with about three Fingers space.
But i am still wondering why i have no Power on the lines.

By oil pump do you mean the power steering pump- oil for the steering and brake power boosters? If so, yes that is normal for this engine in pickups, hmmwvs, power generators, etc. The cps normal needs replacement only once in the life of the engine (and way beyond warranty) therefore ease of labor is not considered.

I do not recall if there is a constant power supplied to the cps. I am thinking it was pulse generated signal from the cps magnet being interrupted by the reluctor wheel which sends the timed signal to the ecm.

As to removing the front axle- many rv get sold here for next to nothing because labor to repair a low cost part is near value of the entire rv. I was given a winnebago years ago that had a gas 454 engine with a bad waterpump. About a $30 part. But the engine had to be removed to replace it, and the front of the rv had to be cut off for engine removal and installation. So about $10,000 in labor and paint repairs for a simple waterpump issue. Nothing to say about that other than “it is what it is”.

Thats why i think the cps is not bad. When the check engine light comes up First the cruise control quit working. Is this for safty or could be the cruise control is the Problem.

Again, go back to post #9 and perform tests, answer questions.

You said you bled the air from injection line several times. Does This means you are get air in the lines? If you fully bled the lines that would imply the engine started and running to full throttle properly. But this is contradictory to your other statements.
I realize we can be loosing information in translation, however we are reading contradictory statements.

When you ask a specific question like the one about the cps, we can answer it. It just like how to change a flat tire can be answered. It doesn’t mean that is empirically the cause for your engine troubles.

Take apart and clean all the grounds. There are several grounds on the back passenger side head. One on both sides of the engine up front and probably one attached to the fender or somewhere to the body like on a truck. Check The connections at the pmd again since you changed it. If it has the extended harness to get the pmd off the injection pump check the connection at the pmd and the one close to the injection pump.

Welcome.

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID, it can destroy this engine easily.
Never!!!

If you try starting and post a video on YouTube, add link here- that can help a lot.

Are you getting any smoke when cranking before start? If so what color?
No smoke from the exhaust pipe. But little Black smoke comes for a second out of the turbo.

Install a clear line in place of the 1/4" diameter about 6" long fuel return line that comes out the front of the injection pump. Watch for air bubbles or other contaminates.

No bubbel in the back line.

Measure fuel pressure at the inlet of the injection pump. 8-14 psi is ideal. lower than 4 psi can create hard starting problems. New parts does not mean they are good parts. Measure, don't assume good just because new.

Preasure is 7psi..

Engine rpm is crucial for starting. what is yours?

I dont know, but it seams normal. But when i ad the two bord batterie for cranking it turns must faster.

Caution using battery chargers/ jumper as they can damage brand new glow plugs. Fully charge batteries then disconnect before cranking. Glow plugs- ONLY use AC Delco 60G.

New 60G acdelco.

Take apart and clean all the grounds. There are several grounds on the back passenger side head. One on both sides of the engine up front and probably one attached to the fender or somewhere to the body like on a truck. Check The connections at the pmd again since you changed it. If it has the extended harness to get the pmd off the injection pump check the connection at the pmd and the one close to the injection pump.
Hello,
I have a New Main ground.. But i cant find any other ground. Can you send me a snap where the should be.

Attachments

• DSC_8225.JPG
    DSC_8225.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 3
Maybe someone on here can post a picture of the grounds at the back of the passenger side head. It'll be dark when I get home. The negative battery cables should connect to the engine up front.

Ill try and remember to look in the 95 motorhome service manual and post some pictures of the chassis grounds when I get home.

Being that it is a motorhome all bets are off on ground locations. Might want to consider a service manual to help with the locations. I think Jaryd has some for sale.

Yup. The last four rv’s that i saw with this engine in it- all were different from normal trucks and different from each other. This is unhappy information, but you are simply going to need an original manual for that rv, or trace each one down by hand. If you go through that mess, I suggest making your own diagram because there will be a day in the future it is needed.

Just incase yours is like pickups- the right rear side of the engine on the head where the coolant block off is at is the most common failure point.

D23D6EE2-5BF0-488D-8AC5-40DE82E2BA7B.jpeg599E6ED4-FA41-43CD-A28A-E7C1890C9ACB.jpeg8300F5D2-7E96-4C60-A91A-A3B925C1634B.jpegB3F34FFE-64E5-4570-8EA0-61602C371BF8.jpeg

This is about all I could come up with when it comes to the ground locations. There is no diagram in the manuals showing locations that I could find

Back