• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crackhead

bobb

Reaction score
Got a 98 6.5 that came in blowing coolant out of it. Cracked a head. Block looks straight, anything else I need to look for while its apart. Who makes good heads?

Best head is made by GEP and would be a p400 head. Below that would be GEP optimizer head.
Iirc 2 vendors here have access to them. Leroy Diesel and Twisted Steel.

If you get Chinese heads for $ savings, have a valve job done.
Use new head bolts, TTY for these are one time use. New rocker buttons (rocker arm retainers made of plastic) and I would do both sides. Ensure correct side up on reinstalling pushrods, crucial.

Be 100% the cylinder walls didn’t fail. Most commonly #8 & #7 get minor linear cracking to the water jacket.

Anything over 220 is deadly to this engine, 210 shortens life pretty good. Having the balanced flow waterpump & related components is a big difference in long term life. More details on what you have would help.

Many aftermarket jerry rigs of rear head coolant crossovers have been created over the years and all proven fatal. Keep the rear 2 head ports closed.

This is in a bucket truck that needs the engine running to work the PTO. What are the related components to the water pump?

Serpentine or v belt driven?
What thermostat crossover, if dual is restrictor in place?
What thermostat(s)? (AC Delco seems most reliable)
Heater hose circuity (most be constant flow, never blocked)
Having low coolant warnings well worth it if not stock in your application.

Being addicted to these engines, there is more to consider but not directly related to the head question.
permanent fuel pressure gauge tapped at ip inlet.
Ensure front starter bracket in place.
100,000 mile max on balancer
Always adding lube to fuel
Etc.

Many people get under 100,000 miles, and many get over 300,000 miles. More mpg; more power is available safely but depending on use and return if it’s worth it. Knowing how to set up as complete package is the key.

If the ECM has not already been set up, the ECM can be tapped into to get the PTO function live.
Two pigtails plugged into the ECM and grounded through two switches. One switch turned on = 1000 rpm, switch two = 1350 RPMs and both switches = 1850 RPMs.
I hooked them up on My 2000 K3500 and even just the 1000 rpm makes a huge difference in warm up times.
Leroy diesel has a bypass hose restriction fitting that will help balance the coolant flow to the rear of the RH head.

I think the ECM has been tapped into. This thing idles very fast till you press the brakes. Anybody try BMI heads?

Back