• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Change

Bump!! Yo Mike did you ever get your coolant changed?

Still procrastinating Barry. Got to get to it one day whan the heavy outside work tapers off. I'll be at 175k in a few days too...:eek:

Good to see ya stoppin' in pal!:thumbsup: Gettin' to be more of us DMax guys every day.

Wow! I know what you mean. I took a part time job with my county and had to work four days straight last week. It like to killed me. I am starting to work on my truck again and there should be an updated article about the Power Steering/Hydro Boost system including A cooler and filter for the fluid. I may even get to my coolant flush and filter install before the end of the year.

I know I am bumping an old thread here. Any updates on the coolant change Mike? I need to do mine soon. I looked at the whole underneath of the radiator, both sides, and I am not looking forward to this change. I see NO drain of any kind. I see the lower hose, but the clamp looks a little difficult to get to. Any insight and help appreciated. :D

Looks like I need to put on my bathing suit prior to doing this change, along with a diving mask.

I did mine last fall (IIRC) Jeff. Not sure where I commented on it but I'll look (could not find it). It's actually pretty easy.
Stick the nose outside where it can drain pretty easy, pull the RF liner back, the clip pulls right out, the hose pulls away real easy. Drain, fill with distilled, run to temperature, drain refill again with distilled and repeat. Drain it again then refill with your coolant of choice.

While I was doing glow plugs I took a pic of how easy it is to get to the lower hose for draining.
Just pull the fender liner back.

amuqezej.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

I just changed my coolant and coolant filter today. I do not like the way the hose connects to the radiator. I know GM can do better than that.
Just a few things to mention. The removal of the clip to get the bottom hose off, and be careful of the red O-ring inside the hose. Without it the hose will leak. Ask me how I know.
I did a flush with distilled water and then drained it and refilled with Dexcool 50/50 mix.
This wasn't very difficult, but it was a royal pain in the arse. I am glad it is done. I am only ar 125k on the odometer, but at the 9 year mark. I was debating on changing to the Evans waterless coolant, but decided to just put Dexcool back in. The Dexcool that I drained out looked brand new. I wonder if there is a test that you can get done to see if there was anything left in the coolant? Like a UOA for oil.

Back