• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Change

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Getting to be about time for me to change the factory DexCool. I intend to just drain and refill with the same. Is there a radiator drain? and where are the block drains? Should I run some flush in it for 100 mi before I drain it? I know about the bleed proceedure at the t-stat neck for refill. I'm sure there are some guys that have done this.

I'm coming up on year #5 in Sep so I'll be doing this also. My plan is to buy a couple of cases of distilled H2O, flouche it out with the distilled water and refill with the 50-50 mix of dex and distilled water. Not going to put any flush or cleaner in the system first because I know how fragile that dex is when it comes to foreign chemicals.

There is a petcock on a fitting in the lower radiator hose, but it looks like you'll be taking a bath when you open that thing. :(

Block drains I'm not sure of.

Bump TTT. Is there a block drain? I intend to do a drain, fill with 6 gal of distilled, run until warm, drain and refill with pink dex again but I'd really like to get it all drained out 2 times.

I did mine by draining the radiator at the bottom and siphoning the overflow tank. At 5 1/2 yrs and only 70k it still looked pretty good. I didnt flush mine or drain it anywhere else. I do have a coolant filter system so I was confident that any sediment was in that filter, my main goal was just refreshing the coolant from a PH and additive standpoint.

Bump TTT. Is there a block drain? I intend to do a drain, fill with 6 gal of distilled, run until warm, drain and refill with pink dex again but I'd really like to get it all drained out 2 times.

Yes, there are block drains. On my 01 there is a yellow colored bolt on the drivers side front of the engine right behind the water pump and another yellow colored bolt behind the starter on the passenger side.

I just pulled the radiator hose and drained the overflow tank, filled with distilled H2O, ran it until nice and hot, drained, filled with distilled H2O again, ran it until hot, drained and refilled with 50/50 Dex and distilled H2O.

I had to add a tiny bit of the final mixture over the next few days, but that's it.

The final drain of water came out clear, so I figure that I got everything through.

Intervals......

What is the recommended change interval for the coolant change. I've never kept a truck long enough to worry about it before, this one is a keeper. Is there a filter anywhere in the system?
Stay safe out there.
Ken

The change interval is 5 years or 150k.
Definitely use distilled water to flush and refill as everyone else has suggested. I would personally refill it with Dex Cool and distilled water again since I never had any coolant related problems from it.
There is no OEM filter.

Like SARATOGA said 5 years 150K miles, but I feel 3 years on the oEM stuff is more than enough. Only go back with DEX-COOL unless you flush teh system out about a dozen times or so as any traces of DEX-COOL mixed with other anti-freezes can and WILL cause a NASTY mess. Also only use distilled water as I have found even filtered water has enough particulates and debris in it to activate the sealant in DEX-COOL anti-freeze which in and of it self can cause a nasty mess. Not trying to sponsor pop here, but I will ONLY use ZEREX brand anti-freeze in ANY vehicle I work on or own from now on after my experience with PRESTONE and some store brands(as well as CHRYSLERS anti-freeze). ZEREX is the only one I have found that doesn'tr use a solid particle embitterment in them where as the others all seam to use an embitterment that is comprised of a brown particle that turns to mud after 2 or 3 years in your cooling system.

but I will ONLY use ZEREX brand anti-freeze in ANY vehicle I work on or own from now on after my experience with PRESTONE and some store brands(as well as CHRYSLERS anti-freeze). ZEREX is the only one I have found that doesn'tr use a solid particle embitterment in them where as the others all seam to use an embitterment that is comprised of a brown particle that turns to mud after 2 or 3 years in your cooling system.

well that's good to know...

but I will ONLY use ZEREX brand anti-freeze in ANY vehicle I work on or own from now on after my experience with PRESTONE and some store brands(as well as CHRYSLERS anti-freeze). ZEREX is the only one I have found that doesn'tr use a solid particle embitterment in them where as the others all seam to use an embitterment that is comprised of a brown particle that turns to mud after 2 or 3 years in your cooling system.

well that's good to know...

Makes me want to be sure and look at that fresh 6 gal case of premix I have sitting in the shop. 95% sure I bought Zerex.

Mike, I am coming up on 5 yrs in another. I agree with the distilled water minimum of two flushes possibly three as I plan on using the 7 yr Amsoil Propylene Glycol antifreeze and also installing a particulate filter at the same time. I am planning on keeping my truck for at least 300K mi and possibly more so I want to preserve what I have and minimize the maintenance. As a BT you know all about hi particulates in a piping system and the problems they can cause over time.

Heck, it's all good and what ever you do is better than nothing.

Coolant Filter

Like SARATOGA said 5 years 150K miles, but I feel 3 years on the oEM stuff is more than enough. Only go back with DEX-COOL unless you flush teh system out about a dozen times or so as any traces of DEX-COOL mixed with other anti-freezes can and WILL cause a NASTY mess. Also only use distilled water as I have found even filtered water has enough particulates and debris in it to activate the sealant in DEX-COOL anti-freeze which in and of it self can cause a nasty mess. Not trying to sponsor pop here, but I will ONLY use ZEREX brand anti-freeze in ANY vehicle I work on or own from now on after my experience with PRESTONE and some store brands(as well as CHRYSLERS anti-freeze). ZEREX is the only one I have found that doesn'tr use a solid particle embitterment in them where as the others all seam to use an embitterment that is comprised of a brown particle that turns to mud after 2 or 3 years in your cooling system.

Makes me want to be sure and look at that fresh 6 gal case of premix I have sitting in the shop. 95% sure I bought Zerex.

THat was my question Mike. Does Zerex make Dexcool?

Mike you need one of these next! :rof: It doesn't stop.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 23
THat was my question Mike. Does Zerex make Dexcool?

I know they make a DEX-COOL compatible one as that is in my BURB and I have a couple of jugs of it out in the shop. I have found that NAPA seems to be the only store that carries ZEREX, but the price isn't any higher than the PRESTONE universal from WAL-MART. And if you have an older diesel, the ZEREX green is a low silicate diesel approved formula.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/

Back