• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Convince me to/not swap a 02 dmax into my 95 burb

The CUMMINS would be ALOT less work as far as wiring goes, and if you don't intercool it it's a pretty easy swap. I would say a good 50-60 hours to wrap one up nice and neat with intercooler if you buy a kit.

while its a novel idea, IMO a suburban is a refined classy highway traveling rig, and a cummins is just a crude, tough ol beast of an engine that rattles and shakes like a traditional diesel engine. (except common rail of course)

IMO a Suburban needs a V-8 diesel, not I6.

The pickups on the other hand, a cummins is right in line with most pickup uses.

I agree on that, no way am I putting a 12v rattle can in my truck ,I hate the noise in the cab and that's the standard answer to anything ,lawn mower won't start....put a cummins in it I just wanted to keep it all gm. Would a guy have to do head gaskets to put the studs in or just pull them one at a time and install the studs? Remember this is a 30000 km old engine

Well if you want a world class diesel engine (inexpensively) you can't be the Cummins 6bt. The so called rattle can is not as bad as you've been told and with a good muffler can be tamed down. Excellent MPGs too. GM should have put an I6 in the GMT400 (like the Holden).
Edzzed was just tring to help by suggesting it.

I'm not disputing the merits of the 5.9 at all i just dont like the noise is all, i know that they are a great engine. and apologise if i came across the wrong way

I'm not disputing the merits of the 5.9 at all i just dont like the noise is all, i know that they are a great engine. and apologise if i came across the wrong way

same here. no offense intended.

the one at work is a bone stock 12 valve with a fuel plate and a stock exhaust w/ muffler cut out. 30K lbs. combination on too many occasions to count, so its definitely a great engine, but the shudder and shake on start up and shut down is what gets to me. seems to have more harmonics, but with an automatic and a fluidampr, it may improve.

I agree on that, no way am I putting a 12v rattle can in my truck ,I hate the noise in the cab and that's the standard answer to anything ,lawn mower won't start....put a cummins in it I just wanted to keep it all gm. Would a guy have to do head gaskets to put the studs in or just pull them one at a time and install the studs? Remember this is a 30000 km old engine

You loose clamping force on an old gasket and then squish it again. Things move and oil/coolant moves in with the bolt out.

Then there is the whole 3 steps to final torque you miss with 1 bolt at a time.

Last gaskets have a finite life of about 200K anyway. So was it miles or the install that failed them?

Save steps by pulling the heads with exhaust manifolds on.

Back