• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Claas Is Here!!! (plus other pics from spring)

No, in canada you have to buy in to the quota systems, I forgot how much it cost to add one cow but it was substantial.

I forgot to answer you other question, we run around 1000 acres. The forage equipment that is split between the three farms will run across 900 acres of alfalfa (4 times per year so 3600 total), 400 acres of grasses, and around 700 acres of corn silage.

Thanks. Right now, 1KG of quota is $25,000, and you need 1.3KG/Cow to milk twice a day. 1.5KG/Cow to milk 3 times a day. I do not dairy farm, (farm period.) but from what I was told, the quota exchange is basically closed right now. So, if you wanted to milk, you have to buy an existing farm. You need to 60 cows to survive.

http://www.farmsincanada.ca/

I was told afew years back it was around $20,000 to add one cow, I guess that number wasnt too far off.

I was told afew years back it was around $20,000 to add one cow, I guess that number wasnt too far off.

No, and not that long ago, it was $33,000/kg.

Silly question?? Do you guys pay trucking on milk?? And are you required to have extra storage incase the truck is held up?? (inclement weather??)

No, and not that long ago, it was $33,000/kg.

Silly question?? Do you guys pay trucking on milk?? And are you required to have extra storage incase the truck is held up?? (inclement weather??)

We get paid by the milk plant to haul our own milk, but yes trucking charges are deducted out of the milk check for farmers.

There is no such thing as a truck being held up in wisconsin. Milk trucks are the sole reason we have soo many paved roads, and soo many plow trucks, salt and so on. Our roads are all well kept and plowed very fequently. If it wasnt for the dairy industry we might look like Illinois or some other state with a lot of beat up blacktops and gravel roads. I remember the first time I went to illinois, the directions they gave me were take the first black top to the third gravel I was like WTF? There is one gravel road within 50-100 miles of our farm that I know of. You have to get pretty far north to find gravel roads.

20" of snow, the milk truck driver will be out there plowing through it. Most farmers will plow the road too if needed to get the milk truck there.

The milk is allowed to sit on insulated non cooled tankers for up to 3 days providing it goes into the tanker cool enough. 38* is the preference.

Last edited:
around 3000 acres of Hay through it and only two issues. The hydraulic motor that drives the suction screen went out and a seal for the input gearbox to the pickup head went bad. Other than that, running very good. Shearbar and knives will both be shot by the end of 4th crop just in time for corn knives and shearbar.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

I milked 140 Yersey's for a fella in Ontario one winter,I bugged him with saying " Don't wanna milk goats eh,and prob no money to buy holsteins eh,... was that the reason you got Yersey's? ;)
Sucker couldn't take a joke,got mad.:hihi:

I dairied alltogether for 30 yrs,don't miss it one bit :nonod:

We used to milk holsteins. But the Breed was going towards larger cows and our old barn at our old farm was too small. So we added some Jerseys, and within a couple years were 100% jersey.

We have continued with them due to their efficiency, calving ease, small size, and tolerance to heat. They are a much more economical cow, and have worked very well for us.

We always thought of starting a goat farm, those suckers make bank.

We used to milk holsteins. But the Breed was going towards larger cows and our old barn at our old farm was too small. So we added some Jerseys, and within a couple years were 100% jersey.

We have continued with them due to their efficiency, calving ease, small size, and tolerance to heat. They are a much more economical cow, and have worked very well for us.
We always thought of starting a goat farm, those suckers make bank.
Hey,i was just joking;),nuttin wrong with yerseys.

If you wanna learn to cuss,.. start a goat dairy.We had a handfull of these critters when i grew up(guess who had to milk them ;))

I havent touched a cow really since i was 15. Maybe help chase them when they get out but thats it.

That's freaking awesome! 5 swaths at a pass... If they're 9 foot diskbines that's 45' a pass. Yikes!
I'm also really impressed with the video quality of this phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535

That is pretty cool. I would have a heck of a time mowing my little yard with that big old thing.
I like how it sets up the cut grass for the baler.

I don't know much about new tractors so my ? is how do they get that many pto's going all at once? also is that grass?

I didn't look too close but those are probably hydro motor driven and that's alfalfa. Dairy quality at that.

I didn't look too close but those are probably hydro motor driven and that's alfalfa. Dairy quality at that.

That's canola in the background, yellow blooms. Must be Canada or across the pond, Montana, Wyoming, and Dakotas are nearly too far south to grow both simultaneously.

Source Unknown

I'm thinking Alberta. I noticed the Canola. Makes for a pretty view with the yellow flowers and deep green alfalfa. All those years of haying I did and I never failed to take in the scene when I was out in the field. Same with plowing or combining. Makes you grateful to have an opportunity to be there. Then you think to yourself..."alright, thats enough of that! Get to work!" :hihi:

Back