• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Choosing a transmission New or rebuilt?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
Been doing some shopping around for transmission parts, been checking out monster transmission site for torque converters and ordered one of their converters. Well i talked to them on the phone and they asked what it is for and i told them for my truck. They right away were like woah! Your gone need flange plate thingy and triple clutching and yadda yadda and so on. They acted like i had some big power house of a motor and i dont obviuosly.
Seems like they were trying to make big bucks off me but i dont think so. This shyed me away from them right away.

I am now on the hunt to get a proper torque converter and tranny for my truck that wont cost me thousands. Any suggestions on whats good?

I want a brand new converter at the least and might have my tranny rebuilt but i am nervous about the metal flakes in the pan.

Please help me here! Im really unsure what to do here.

Thanks.

Try Craigslist for a good core, take it and have it built. A bench job should be $800ish. I can check my supplier for a tq-converter if you like?

yes please check about the converter

thanks

looks im gonna rebuild the tranny. can remove the transmission and leave the converter in for now? Is it 6 bolts that bolt the tranny to the block?

Most trans shops send the TQ out for a rebuild while they rebuild the transmission. A unbalanced or bad TQ rebuild will make you miserable. They also share oil, so if the TQ lets go or the trans burns up all the metal goes through both parts. A fresh trans rebuild can be toasted by the metal debris left in the TQ converter or cooler.

Here is info on a TQ rebuild.
http://www.phoenixtrans.com/Lockup_Lowdown.html

This shop and Yank converters can build you a nice converter. Yank for example can build you a triple disc converter for $1,000. Any more than that and you are spending too much IMO. Recall some shops don't know GM had the 6.5 and think Duramax trans slipping power...

I beat the living snot out on my rebuilt converter, locking at WOT towing, locked compression braking etc. and still got 50K miles out of it. (But killed it dead at 50K.) Any more power like I have now and life wouldn't be so good with this kind of abuse. So you normally don't need more than a good rebuild. And even if you do there is a little time before they give it up depending on what you are doing.

Would i be alright with unbolting the tranny from the block and leaving the converter bolted to the fly wheel then removing it later?

Ive done this once before with 6.2 diesel and 700r4 with no problem, just wanted to be sure if its similar on a newer truck

If your not pulling the engine you may not clear the bell housing over the tqvert as trans go's back??

Also, I can get a rebuilt Dayco for $185. One year warranty

I've always been pleased with Jasper transmissions as well as there engines. And there rebuilds come with a new Torque Converter included. There prices are decent, but there customer service is second to none. If you have a problem, Jasper will most likely honor it. The only rejections I have seen from them are due to installer error.

If your not pulling the engine you may not clear the bell housing over the tqvert as trans go's back??

Also, I can get a rebuilt Dayco for $185. One year warranty

I'd run a slipping junk stocker before I would another DAYCO. Personally for a diesel I would at least get a billet cover and a single kevlar lock-up clutch in it. Your in it, why not do it right and be done with it. As fo kits, I like TRANSTAR myself as I have had good luck with them. They offer kits ranging from stockBORG WARNER clutches, to RAYBESTOS, all the way up to RAYBESTOS blue plates and ALTO reds. They also make some good converters for stock and mild applications.

No worries here, but I will say I've had good luck with Dayco in stock applications. I think Jorge is on a tight buget? Like anything where does it stop? Might as well rebuild the rear axle too!:hihi:
IMO a Dayco is a good stock replacement tqconverter for the money.

Yes I am on a budget i am going to have my transmission rebuilt. My only problem is hunting down a good converter. I guess my truck is stock, stock pcm but have a larger turbo but im not done upgrading the motor to put out more power.

Call up SUNCOAST and see if tehy still offer there billet single disc converter for the 4L80E. They used to run about $400-500 and were well worth the money. Otherwise go with a TRANSTAR. I've had a few DAYCO's come apart in towing apps, TRANSTAR's tend to couple better down low from what I have found. ALso give PRECISION INDUSTRIES(the one in Tennessee) a call and see what they want for a good single disc converter. They build just as good of a unit as SUNCOAST, for less money.

Call up SUNCOAST and see if tehy still offer there billet single disc converter for the 4L80E. They used to run about $400-500 and were well worth the money. Otherwise go with a TRANSTAR. I've had a few DAYCO's come apart in towing apps, TRANSTAR's tend to couple better down low from what I have found. ALso give PRECISION INDUSTRIES(the one in Tennessee) a call and see what they want for a good single disc converter. They build just as good of a unit as SUNCOAST, for less money.

I suggested to Jorge that he also look into the options you suggested. I don't care where he go's as long as he gets what he needs. And, im only making $20. on the Dayco.

I called suncoast and precision industries and they both want over $1000 for a converter. Trasnstar overs 2 types, a stock replacement for $185 and once with a billet pump which i know nothing about both come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

I think i want to go with the converter from transtar that has the billet pump. But i first want to here some feedback about this converter.

Damn so many choices.

Just out of curiosity, but if your looking to stay within a reasonable budget, why go for billet parts so heavily? The stock 4l8oe's are pretty darn stout transmissions, especially behind a 6.5. The stock trans in Big Blue, my 98 6.5L has never slipped once, and it has seen 30+lbs of boost (Optimizer block mind you), with loads just shy of 10K. I've always been pretty pleased with the GM 4l8oe's. I've also seen these transmissions hold up behind slightly modded 12 valve Cummins swaps. And despite the flame coming from the Dodge crowd (who swear up and down that there is no way a stock GM transmission will hold the power of a Cummins :rolleyes5:), they seem to do just fine.

Long story short, a stock trans overhaul will more than likely be just fine for your application. Keep the temps down, change the fluid and filter regularly, and I think you will be just fine.

Edit: I meant billet piston NOT billet pump just to clarify.

I would like to upgrade somewhat. I want it to hold the increased power of my bigger turbo and future upgrades. My tranny blew right after i upgraded turbo and was perfect before that but it does have 240,000 abused towing miles on it

I've used one of there HD TRANSTAR units in a 4L60E, and it is a stout converter for the money. It coupled alot better down low, and the lock-up in it is SOLID. For a 6.5 I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to put one in with the billet piston. I know that SUNCOAST used to offer a single clutch converter for teh 4L80E, but from the price you got it sounds like they are trying to sell you a triple disc.

Back