• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can we talk Electric Brake controllers?

This guy is NOT giving out correct information in that video. Neither the P3 nor the Prodigy have a pendulum inside. It is an electronic accelerometer. No moving parts inside.

Tekonsha does make less expensive Innertia brake controllers, but these two are NOT. Read more HERE

Looks like the BrakeSmart controller is a lot easier to use once you install it. It does NOT require any adjustment for the trailer.

A question about the maxbrake...if it is controlled by the hydraulic pressure given by applying the brakes, then does that mean that if you are applying little pressure via the brakes and applying alot of pressure by downshifting, then the trailer is just going to push you, right??

It seems like the prodigy would be the best bet since it is using the movement of the truck to judge how much pressure to apply.

Also, How are these different compared to an adjustable controller bought at a farm store or autozone? What do they run off of - as far as how much pressure is applied?

I know this is an old topic - but anyone? What does the cheap brake controller run off of? Just viewing the prodigy - it seems like that would be best if you start slowing down by down shifting because there is more movement then there is brake compression.

I absolutely love my PRODIGY,it works great,was easy to install and plugged right in too.In two years it has been flawless.

Bump!!! After reading the thread I think I will get the P3 as the most bang for my buck towing less than 10K and 20 ft.
You can't go wrong with it Barry. I've pulled up to 18k with mine and it works flawlessly. Make sure you get the Tekonsha plug in harness and add the 40A breaker (came with your truck) in the fuse box under the hood.

Darn almost 11 months since my last post on this subject. I finally ordered my trailer yesterday and it is a 7X17 V nose with 5K lb axles under it. I pick it up on 12/17 and I need to order my P3 Brake controller. I still plan on going with the P3 unless there have been some earth shattering changes out there to direct me other wise.

Inputs and suggestions are always appreciated.

A lot of people mount their controlers under the dash.
Personally i can't hardly reach that area with great amounts of effort.
I like an easily accessed spot for mounting. On my old 89 with 5 speed I had it mounted on the shifter. It was always right at hand.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the P3. Now I have to figure where i will mount it. Lots of great input on where to mount it an why. I will have to figure what is best for me.

Tekonsha P3 mounted in my 98:

DSC03888.jpg

Still haven't rigged up a way to get to the manual control lever yet. That's next on the list.

works great, no complaints.

The built in volt meter, display color choice and diagnostic features are a nice bonus!

Back