• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can we talk Electric Brake controllers?

I upgrade to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 last year...and will NEVER go back.

I had borrowed my neighbors truck (which had a prodigy) to pull my trailer...wow, what a difference.

I bought one the following week and love it.

It has to be mounted in a somewhat horizontal way, or else the G-force sensor doesnt detect the stopping of the truck to apply the trailer brakes.

I had the Tekonsha Sentinel...with no problems but when the Prodigy reviews came about...I made the switch...wow...what a difference!

Glad I made the upgrade even though nothing was wrong with my sentinel...

You are going to hate me when I tell you this.....Pull the plastic nut and the cover (holding tab on each side, then pull), that black cover you removed, look at the inside of that cover, it gives you the identifications of every slot in that panel. :smash: :mad2:

To make it easy on you, it's the top row, second from the left is the connection. :D

Exactly what I was going to post....lol

If you watch the Video on youtube by the company that sells them link above it explains the flashing.
Mine will be flashing like yours a lot. :biggrin5:
I watched the video on the previus page, and the only thing I can concur is that it flashes due to the G forces on it.

Yes the Prodigy is probably one of the best controllers available. I havent used any others, but I've been in friends rigs with other controllers and the prodigy seems to feel the best. Its very accurate and easy to setup.

If you get the custom harness for your rig, there will be two different ones avaialable. 99-03 and 04-07 classic. They are the same plug, except one of the wires is moved to a different pin. You can easily move the pin to match your year. I cant remember specifics right now, but if you need the info, let me know and I'll pull it out.

Big Dog thanks for the great info and I'll let you know!

Actually, the Tekonsha P3 is their "flagship" now, more advanced than their Prodigy controller. Both are excellent controllers.

The plug is under the IP on the left hand side. I would also order the harness from Tekonsha, it makes it a plug-and-play set-up. Don't forget to install the fuse in the under-hood fuse box.

You are going to want to mount the controller where you can easily reach it while driving, in case you need to manually apply the trailer brakes in an emergency or otherwise.

Your absolutely right about placement after thinking about it. Sure wouldn't want to have start opening compartments when a panic stop is needed.

So IF I can get it in the cassette player spot ,it'll go there if not I guess near the e-brake release will have to do.

------------------------

So the plug is behind the cover? I have a couple weeks to get this done but don't tease me! :biggrin5:

If I remember my stupid camera I get some pics tomorrow. Three days NOW I went to work and forgot it.

Mack..

as others have noted, the Prodigy units are good with their new P3 model being even better .... the best electrical unit I know if is the Hensley TruControl .... note: Hensley has 2 levels of the TruControl ... their lower priced unit is in the same category as the Prodigy .... their top unit is truly exceptional .... working at a camper dealership and through our own extensive traveling towing our camper in all of the lower 48 states (just returned from a 3 month, 7,900 mile swing through the Midwest) I've used all of the brake controllers mentioned in this thread .... for most circumstances, the P3 would not just be fine, it would do a very good job .... all that said, I have installed TruControl's in my current and former truck and they are exceptional .... the P3 and TruControl install processes are identical

Jim

Jim,

I've read Hensley's ads about their TruControl unit as well as the recent article in Trailer Life and they sound quite impressive, but I've never seen one or knew anyone who's used one.

Could you explain what it is that makes the TruControl so much better than the P3 to justify their much higher price ($357+$12.20 S/H)? :yikes:

How hard would it be to transfer it to another vehicle if needed? Can you get a "Plug-N-Play" harness like you can with the P3? Thanks.

Jim,

I've read Hensley's ads about their TruControl unit as well as the recent article in Trailer Life and they sound quite impressive, but I've never seen one or knew anyone who's used one.

Could you explain what it is that makes the TruControl so much better than the P3 to justify their much higher price ($357+$12.20 S/H)? :yikes:

How hard would it be to transfer it to another vehicle if needed? Can you get a "Plug-N-Play" harness like you can with the P3? Thanks.

as already noted, the P3 is a good controller .... the TruControl is the easiest/quickest unit of its type that I have found to fine tune when moving from towing one camper to another .... working at a camper dealership I may well tow multiple campers of various sizes during a single day so that feature is important to me .... I've also found it does a smoother job of handling large, heavy triple axle units (specially ones with disk brakes) .... I don't know of "Plug-N-Play" harness but it wouldn't be difficult to make one .... all wires (even to their color) are the same as with the P3 .... the first vehicle I installed a TruControl in was an '02 Chevy 3500 .... it replaced a standard Prodigy and the difference in performance was easily felt on large units .... right after the P3 came out I had an opportunity to do some long distance towing using one and I have no doubt that it is a better unit .... when we bought our current truck, the first mod I made was to replace its controller with a TruControl .... unless I ever buy a truck that comes with a factory built in unit like the ones from Ford and now Chevy, I wouldn't hesitate to and in fact would be highly inclined to install another TruControl

Jim

Not sure if the guy is oversimplifying or if he is just mistaken, but there is no actual pendulum in the Prodigy. There is an inertia sensor in there that is all electronic, no moving parts.

Mac,

You should look into the Maxbrake controller. The performance is way superior to the prodigy and other inertia activated products. It basically converts the trucks hydraulic brake pressure to a proportional electrical output signal so the truck and load brakes in complete unison. You will definitely feel the difference. It also has the ability to troubleshoot and display braking issues and compensates for heat induced brake fade. Jerky low speed stops in traffic are also non existent. Your truck and load will perform as one unit. It cost a little more than the Prodigy but IMO it's well worth the extra $$.

http://www.maxbrake.com/

Mac,

You should look into the Maxbrake controller. The performance is way superior to the prodigy and other inertia activated products. It basically converts the trucks hydraulic brake pressure to a proportional electrical output signal so the truck and load brakes in complete unison. You will definitely feel the difference. It also has the ability to troubleshoot and display braking issues and compensates for heat induced brake fade. Jerky low speed stops in traffic are also non existent. Your truck and load will perform as one unit. It cost a little more than the Prodigy but IMO it's well worth the extra $$.

http://www.maxbrake.com/

WOW that's pretty slick! I'm going to look into it more

That's the old Brakesmart controler that went out of business, then it either got bought up by these guys, or the new company name Brakesmart used to keep doing business. Something like that. Still a good product, just don't know if I could justify the extra coin, just like a Hensley Arrow.

That's the old Brakesmart controler that went out of business, then it either got bought up by these guys, or the new company name Brakesmart used to keep doing business. Something like that. Still a good product, just don't know if I could justify the extra coin, just like a Hensley Arrow.

Actually they are still two separate companies and both still in business. You do get a little more bang for your buck with the Maxbrake. It costs a little less and does a little more than the Brakesmart. However both are excellent products.

Back