• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can we talk Electric Brake controllers?

MACKIN

The Original Sheriff
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some help here for a dumby.

I picked up my trailer yesterday and although empty at 4290 plus my truck stopping is marginally ok under normal conditions once I start to carry a load near my GVW of 10k I feel the brakes on the trailer will make it a safer excursion(s).

1) What brand have you used and pro's and con's?
2) Ease of installation?
3) Where is the plug in for the GM harness?
4) How do they work as far as light load verses heavy load adjust ability?

I'm a picky bastard as far as mounting stuff in the cab also. Under the dash or should I say in the drivers cockpit seating area is no way no how. Under the dash I have numerous hidden switches (don't tell anyone) for other goodies.

So I have four options.

1) Glove box
2) Mounted on side of center console ( I don't like that option)
3) In my center console
4) Custom install (I want to do this) is remove the cassette player install a piece of alum and mount there so I need some dimensions to see if possible.

My cubby is all ready occupied. :biggrin5:

I have read alot about this but honestly never paid attention.

TIA

A prodigy is always a good unit kinda expencive but good quality. I can't remember what I just put in my 07 but it is currently back in the United states and I am kinda far away right now. I just mount mine by my right leg but it depends if you have the big ass center console or not.

A prodigy is always a good unit kinda expencive but good quality. I can't remember what I just put in my 07 but it is currently back in the United states and I am kinda far away right now. I just mount mine by my right leg but it depends if you have the big ass center console or not.

Yes I do have the center console.

I have the Prodigy in my truck...it is mounted right next to the door tucked in under the dash. Tight fit, but I can easily reach it with my left hand and it is out of view to passengers.
If you've ever needed to respond quick on a slippery road, you'll appreciate having your right hand for the wheel.

...and the plug is right behind it...two screws for mounting and plug it in.
Very easy and performance is outstanding with the low medium high button.

Here you go...I just bought one online for my old work partner...this is about the best price around.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchan...re_Code=E&Product_Code=90185&Category_Code=BC

Don't forget to order the harness for your truck.

I pull a 37 foot travel trailer and a 16 foot work trailer. Have it adjust for the travel trailer and use the low medium high for the work trailer without adjusting the fine tune. Different weights obviously need recalibrating, but this works for me.

X3 on the Prodigy...

The harness should come with the controller and be truck-specific. You then just plug one end onto the MBEC and the other end into the controller. The other way to do it is to splice the GM harness into the controller harness, but IMO I like the cleaner look and function with the Prodigy harness.

On my truck, I use the "pocket" mount that came with the Prodigy and it allows me to unplug the controller and slide it out of the mount if I'm not going to be towing for awhile. I have it mounted right above the go pedal. Pretty slick.

If you get the ready made harness, it may not be long enough for reaching the console.

Correction on the ready made harness......It's extra at 14.95. Still worth it in my opinion.

The harness that comes with the box has a plug on one end and bare wires on the other. This is what you splice together with what came with the truck.

Ya, Prodigy all the way here. I've used regular, run of the mill controlers for years and never thought anything of it, had some money burning a hole in my pocket and I bought the Prodigy for the hell of it (thanks to these no good for nothing, spend a million bucks on truck accessories web-sites) and was very impressed on the way it performs. It's almost like the trailer isn't even back there. The two stop as one unit, if you need more, 'boost' the controler and you are there. Very nice.

Mine is mounted under the dash, next to the park brake lever. Just enough sticking down to use the emergency lever and push the boost buttons if I need to. I'll try to dig up a pic when I get home.

X-Whatever on the Prodigy, the trailer dealer installed one after the last craptastic one failed, and it is amazing. We only have one trailer with brakes, our Horse Trailer, but on that it works wonderfully, brakes like normal, no jerking, just smooth braking. Positioned on the bottom of the dash right over the Go Pedal, but it interfered with my leg at first (I'm 6'6") but i adjusted to it after a while, and now all is good. We don't have the console, but on our suburban we have the same model that failed on the truck, and that has a similar console to yours, I assume, being it an 02 to your 01, and it is right next to the console, on the bottom of the dash, and that position is fine as well, although it doesn't stick out as far as the prodigy. One think I've noticed about our Prodigy is that it flashes 2 bars when accelerating, until you let off, I really notice it at night, it is bright enough to see, but you get used to it, like everything else. Anyone else notice the flashing with theirs?

Where is the dam plug behind the black cover above the kick foot area? I've looked twice now and haven't seen it,man I hate when I'm handy-capped. :cryin:

The cover has a plastic long barrel nut on it,and looks like perhaps some clips?? I see fuses behind it also

Ya pictures would be good,real good for the blind :yesnod:

X-Whatever on the Prodigy, the trailer dealer installed one after the last craptastic one failed, and it is amazing. We only have one trailer with brakes, our Horse Trailer, but on that it works wonderfully, brakes like normal, no jerking, just smooth braking. Positioned on the bottom of the dash right over the Go Pedal, but it interfered with my leg at first (I'm 6'6") but i adjusted to it after a while, and now all is good. We don't have the console, but on our suburban we have the same model that failed on the truck, and that has a similar console to yours, I assume, being it an 02 to your 01, and it is right next to the console, on the bottom of the dash, and that position is fine as well, although it doesn't stick out as far as the prodigy. One think I've noticed about our Prodigy is that it flashes 2 bars when accelerating, until you let off, I really notice it at night, it is bright enough to see, but you get used to it, like everything else. Anyone else notice the flashing with theirs?

If you watch the Video on youtube by the company that sells them link above it explains the flashing.
Mine will be flashing like yours a lot. :biggrin5:

Actually, the Tekonsha P3 is their "flagship" now, more advanced than their Prodigy controller. Both are excellent controllers.

The plug is under the IP on the left hand side. I would also order the harness from Tekonsha, it makes it a plug-and-play set-up. Don't forget to install the fuse in the under-hood fuse box.

You are going to want to mount the controller where you can easily reach it while driving, in case you need to manually apply the trailer brakes in an emergency or otherwise.

Where is the dam plug behind the black cover above the kick foot area? I've looked twice now and haven't seen it,man I hate when I'm handy-capped. :cryin:

The cover has a plastic long barrel nut on it,and looks like perhaps some clips?? I see fuses behind it also

You are going to hate me when I tell you this.....Pull the plastic nut and the cover (holding tab on each side, then pull), that black cover you removed, look at the inside of that cover, it gives you the identifications of every slot in that panel. :smash: :mad2:

To make it easy on you, it's the top row, second from the left is the connection. :D

Back