• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

California Cold Start

colbythekid

Reaction score
Up in the local mountains for a few days and am having some issues with the cold starts. Yesterday is was about 16 degrees outside when I started her up. I knew it was going to be a hard start so I let the glow plugs cycle through a couple of times. Even with that it took about three minutes of on and off cranking to get her to catch.

Today it was a bit warmer maybe in the low thirties and had the same problems. After she starts up she smokes for a about two minutes then runs like a champ.

I have read other posts on this site saying that they have had no issues starting in temps in the single digits.

My timing is set for -1.35 could this be an issue?

Is there anything that I can do to help her start? Run the glow plugs longer?

Being a California girl she does not have a block heater so I can't plug her in and keep her warm at night.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Will try and post some video tomorrw.

Thanks

Colby

Are you sure there's no block heater? I'd do some careful looking on the drivers side

No block heater.....it was my truck and it's always been a CA truck. Glows (AC Delco 60G) were replaced this year along with new reman (Badger Diesel) injectors. He just installed programmable tuner. Prior to this, it has always started up at Big Bear in the cold, albeit with a lot of white smoke. Can't say I ever recall taking 3 minutes to get her to catch.

Colby, we set the TDCO at -1.94 earlier this year. Are you telling me that now it's changed since then?

Last edited:
If you just installed a new tuner, I would say that's the culprit... Not enough glow time - and cycling ac-60's doesn't do it- they need to engage longer, not engage short repeatedly

Options:

- unplug the CTS - that should get you longer glow time unless that's been programmed out
- do the glow plug mod found in the 6.5 technical library - that should solve your problem

Don't go through too many 3-minute crank sessions- your starting system isn't designed for that

Also how many miles on the injectors? My 6.5 had new plugs with a manual over ride, and I still couldn't hardly start it when it was 30 outside due to the worn injectors.

With the new chip the glow plugs run longer then the stock setup. The stock would shut off just before the setbelt alarm would say 10-15 seconds. With the new chip the glowplugs stay on about five seconds longer, and once the truck is running they turn on and off two or three times for about two to three seconds.

I have my laptop with me and the GMTDscan is loaded on it. I know that there is a way to control the glowplugs using the GMTDscan. How long is a good time for the glows to run before the cylinders are warm enought for a easy start?

Colby

OK on the chip running longer ... that was a question.

If you have AC-60g's, they're self-regulated, so you can safely run them for a minute if you want to... they won't burn out. When all else fails, stick a hair dryer or heat gun into your air intake for a minute and let the engine have a big gulp of warm air.

Never fails.

I have the same problem and same year as you. also new inj. and glows. If you can increase the glow time go to about 20/25 seconds and if it still doesn't catch feather the go pedal like it's carbureated. Otherwise do what JIFAIRE said with the CTS and feather the pedal if it doesn't catch right away.

It always works for me.

OK on the chip running longer ... that was a question.

If you have AC-60g's, they're self-regulated, so you can safely run them for a minute if you want to... they won't burn out. When all else fails, stick a hair dryer or heat gun into your air intake for a minute and let the engine have a big gulp of warm air.

Never fails.

I will give the hair dryer a try. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the advice.

It is fun filling the neighborhood with smoke when I start her up for the first time in the morning.

Colby

Mine is!.....Why?

Mine is responisive and clears out within 2 seconds of starting. also If I override the glow times and run them for 20/25 seconds it fires right up.

Also I did the headlights on while WTS last night and they didn't dim much at all.

I'm hoping that it is my glow/controller and not the I/P, although my I/P is the original and I feel like I might be on borrowed time there. It just runs to sweet right now and I think the controller might be my issue.

Back