• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

California Cold Start

[video=youtube;pgb-T0BcReU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgb-T0BcReU[/video]

I took video of the truck starting this morning, but she started right up with little smoke. I guess it's like taking it to the mechanic and suddenly the problems go away.

This was one cycle of the glow plugs and that was it.

Will try again tomorrow.

Colby

Be careful on multiple cycles of glow plugs. Sometimes after the first long cycle, it doesn't do the full cycle. At least on OBD2 I've noticed. Probably compeltely different obd1 though.

[video=youtube;OO7CtgHI4wM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO7CtgHI4wM[/video]

This is today's cold start. I think I have it mastered now.

Colby

I counted 2 seconds from the time the door closed until you started turning it over. Did you even let the glows cycle.

The scary part for me is, that's how mine starts and that's after about 8/10 seconds of glow cycle, and I just put injectors in this past june and only have about 15,000 miles on them and new glows past month.

The only thing that has me thinking I'm not in the same boat as you is When I turn on my headlights and then turn the key forward they don't dim during the WTS cycle.

I'm afraid to start mine now. I guess I'll take some injs. out and have them tested.

If I extend my glow times though it fires right up with out feathering the pedal. CRAP,Now I'm afraid to start it. I guess I'll let it sit until next month.

I counted 2 seconds from the time the door closed until you started turning it over. Did you even let the glows cycle.

The scary part for me is, that's how mine starts and that's after about 8/10 seconds of glow cycle, and I just put injectors in this past june and only have about 15,000 miles on them and new glows past month.

The only thing that has me thinking I'm not in the same boat as you is When I turn on my headlights and then turn the key forward they don't dim during the WTS cycle.

I'm afraid to start mine now. I guess I'll take some injs. out and have them tested.

If I extend my glow times though it fires right up with out feathering the pedal. CRAP,Now I'm afraid to start it. I guess I'll let it sit until next month.

You might have corroded contacts in your controller which is limiting the amount of power thru it. try bypassing controller

I played a trick on you. I set up the camera on the tripod then let the glow plugs cycle as I came back to the camera to press play. As you see me walk back to the truck the glow cycle has already turned itself off. I did that so there would not be 15-20 seconds of dead time at the begging of the video clip.

Ok cool, that had me thinking for a minute.

Although I just went out a little while ago and against my better judgement fired mine up.

And wouldn't you know it , it fires right up with a little puff and smooth as a babies ........... well you get it.

I played a trick on you. I set up the camera on the tripod then let the glow plugs cycle as I came back to the camera to press play. As you see me walk back to the truck the glow cycle has already turned itself off. I did that so there would not be 15-20 seconds of dead time at the begging of the video clip.

Can't fool the old man.

Curious, were you into the pedal on the first 3 minute episode?

Is it possible that Dad remembered to put some anti-gel in his fuel before driving into freezing temps? If you drove into the mountains with normal CA diesel you might have just got some gelling on that startup. And Big Bear and CA got snow all over down to 2000ft so I imagine it was cold recently more than normal. My friend has a house 1/4 mile from the ski slope, and he lets us borrow it whenever and its a great time.

Also best to crank as soon as the glow light goes out, since they will lose heat pretty fast.

This one needs to be in the library and stored in the back of everyones mind too: To get maximum glow time you need to unplug both the CTS and the IAT sensor. If unplugging the CTS gets you a better start its likely more from the additional cold advance, and you might get a second or two more glow since the IAT may be reading colder than the CTS. Glows use the warmer of the two readings on IAT and CTS.

Dad proudly has a full head of hair and he's always been anti-gel, but never with respect to diesel fuel. So it is plausible that he experienced fuel gel. Temps were down in single digits. I do know they sell winter grade diesel up in Big Bear.

Our place is out on Ispiration Point which forms the east side of Boulder Bay. Also own property at the end of Lassen Drive on the east side of Bear Mountain ski area. Never have built on that.

Its always neat going to the mountain houses, 4 stories, built up, rather than laterally, awesome balconies, ect...

I would also recommend for people with these kind of problems to try setting the timing around -0.75 TDCO to see if it helps at all.

Back