• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C3500HD Tow pig

Mounted, lights wired up, fuel tank plumbed, and the boxes washed out of a few inches worth of dirt/sand. Rolling tailboard moves once again. Still need to cut into the headache rack to make room for the winch, it's too tight for it and the fuel tank without mods.

20210713_135210.jpg20210719_195030.jpg20210719_195052.jpg20210719_202252.jpg20210722_200959.jpg20210722_201030.jpg20210722_201052.jpg

Decided to mount the winch just outside of the headache rack, weather permitting will have it mounted up this week.

Got a heavily water contaminated batch of fuel on my trip to Dallas 2 weeks ago. Between that and the leak prone stock filter I was motivated enough to upgrade the fuel system. Forgot I had the raptor 150 lying around from the old deuce and a half. So better filters, higher end fuel pump, and 1/2in fuel line from tank to injection pump. All that's left for performance now is a tune.

20210801_210657.jpg

Have any priming issues with the Raptor up that high? Or are you using the factory lift pump to lift fuel up to the Raptor?

Drained roughly 2 quarts of water out of the fuel so far, New fuel system is certainly an upgrade. Having the water separator in an easy access location is nice.

Did a test fit regarding the trailer and the new bed which has the gooseneck at the top. As expected it's too high, not dangerously high but a few inches higher than it should be. Talking to a welder about installing the b&w hitch recessed into the bed. Question is how far to lower it.

20210810_152941.jpg

The standard on newer beds is 4in, which would be enough to get the trailer level with the trailer hitch at its maxed height (where it currently is). This is the easiest option and least amount of work. Mounts the hitch even with the top of the bed frame.

The other option is to drop the hitch all the way down to on top of the truck frame. This would allow the Cody Cushion hitch to be used and places the ball at the same height as option 1, maybe an inch lower. Problem is there's a bed crossmember that sits directly over the front 2in of the air hitch. That support isn't in a critical spot so it could be cut and have a new one placed forward, probably double the labor.

20210810_190034.jpg

20210810_190049.jpg

20210810_190143.jpg

20210810_190150.jpg

Interesting past week. Got the hitch mounted all the way down in the bed, made the trailer sit level while still having the Cody Cushion hitch, nice smooth ride.

20210813_121148.jpg

20210813_121200.jpg

Hitch lowered

20210816_100109.jpg

Trip to Utah went well until past Cortez Colorado, at which point had a massive increase in blowby and felt like lost a cylinder, couldn't keep temps at or below 210F anymore. Had to stop in Monticello Utah, getting a friend to pull the trailer tonight and coming back for the truck later this week. No question about it, the rings are toast.

20210817_112208.jpg

20210817_112214.jpg

Seems to be constant problems for me when traveling right now. But got the HD loaded and moved up here using the new f350.

As for the plan, only thing known for certain right now is the performance stuff besides the lift pump is sold.

Is what it is. Comes a point when pulling the pin is the only answer left. Hope you at least come out of it on top money wise once miles and use are figured in.

If ya get the chance to shoot the box red even with spray paint), or the whole bed before it goes on the ford, sure makes it easier than on the rig.

Haven’t heard about the k5 lately-how’s that doing?

Is what it is. Comes a point when pulling the pin is the only answer left. Hope you at least come out of it on top money wise once miles and use are figured in.

If ya get the chance to shoot the box red even with spray paint), or the whole bed before it goes on the ford, sure makes it easier than on the rig.

Haven’t heard about the k5 lately-how’s that doing?

I'll do a thread on the f350 soon. Bed will get sandblasted and properly painted but not till sometime next year. Maybe rattle can before it goes on the f350.

Since I'm keeping the bed financially I'm not down too much from the HD over the last 2 years.

K5 was totaled by insurance since the frame was bent throughout the whole chassis. Few inches in front of the hitch was bent down, and the framerails were slightly offset throughout the rest of the k5.

Down to F350 and motorcycle. Hopefully the f350 can beat my average vehicle lifespan of what, 2 years?

Back