• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C3500HD Tow pig

I was wondering off the ground, Can’t tell from angle of pic. Ive seen many underbody boxes mounted there a hair too low and get smacked. I helped a guy mount one there but he used an old spindle so if it made contact with the he tire would just spin and deflect the blow.
And, uhhh, 37x12.5- are you stealing my tires? Haha

I was wondering off the ground, Can’t tell from angle of pic. Ive seen many underbody boxes mounted there a hair too low and get smacked. I helped a guy mount one there but he used an old spindle so if it made contact with the he tire would just spin and deflect the blow.
And, uhhh, 37x12.5- are you stealing my tires? Haha

The bottom of the fuel tank mounts are still higher than the bottom of the frame reinforcement plates, good there. Spare tire will hang down a similar amount, still above the bottom of the frame. Do like the idea of using a spare hub as the tire mount.

Lol can't fit humvee wheels, nothing smaller than 19.5 wheels will clear the brakes hahaha. But I am considering going to 35 or 37"s eventually which would require a swap to 20" wheels.

More like his wife lean on the spare expecting it to be solid and fall on her butt putting her jeans in the dirt.

Oops haha.

Not much work planned for the truck during the winter, mostly gather some parts up for spring/summer work for it. Started a new job as a truck driver so will be making progress on the truck again soon.

Did some checking with the physical size of the things that will be carried on the bed (jumper cables, some tools, lifting equipment, etc) and, well, the minimalist bed essentially becomes a flatbed from cargo boxes. Damnit haha. With that realization confirmed I started looking at the local stuff for sale and found a gin pole bed in good condition that is sized for this truck in good shape. Priced well enough that I might just go back to that plan instead of finishing the build.

The toyhauler will be paid off by early march so the truck will get financial priority after that. Bit of performance upgrade (turbo, tune), cooling system, air intake. Bed, then the dana 60 front axle will be rebuilt and installed.

Now 100% sure I've killed the stock gm4 turbo haha. Significantly down on power when towing, feels just slightly more powerful than the 82 6.2 diesel was. Turbo whistle isn't audible anymore either. Add to it, that's even with the wastegate wired shut. So decided to bite the bullet and order a super54 turbo rather than mess around with cheaper turbos building the right hybrid. 54 makes sense being a stick shift and the lower rpm range I use.

Also looking at picking up another truck next week. Lack of a back seat and no 4x4 are problems that can't be economically overcome on this truck.

Gonna be headed back to Utah in August, have 3 semesters left to finish my bachelors degree and since I hurt my elbows last fall figure it's time to get away from physical labor jobs.

Sold the 1 ton and using some of the money to focus on the HD. Original turbo was worn out, even with the wastegate wired shut it wasn't able to make boost anymore so went ahead and upgraded to a performance turbo. Super 54, from Quadstar tuning. Seems to match up perfectly for the low-mid range rpm that I drive the truck at. Higher boost at the rpm's needed, lower EGT's, lower turbo drive pressure and not terribly expensive either.

20210629_184101.jpg

20210629_184035.jpg

20210630_193837.jpg

20210630_193826.jpg

20210708_204133.jpg

Now for the gin pole bed. Stripped the stuff off the tail end of the frame, planning to do the cutting either today or tomorrow, then place the bed on the truck when the lifting equipment rental gets here later this week. Being that the stock fuel tank has a hole in the bottom of it (patched with JB Weld last year) decided to go ahead and go with the shorter option.

20210711_152604.jpg

20210711_152616.jpg

That looks sharp! Attached, or just sitting there awaiting final alignment/fastening?

Sitting, got a welder coming Friday since my stuff can't handle that thick of metal. Going to have him do the mounts and maybe go ahead with the hitch change. Cut out the current gooseneck and mount the B&W recessed into the bed deep, so the air ride hitch can be used. The top of the ball would be just below the bed deck.

Back