• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bye-bye Gov-Lock, Hello Tru Trac, plus gear swap and brakes

I saved the document in the link as a .pdf. I am attaching it in case the link doesn't work.......or stops working in the future.

Attachments

• Kelsey Hayes ABS info.pdf
    303.1 KB · Views: 3
If you have a 96+ I found a PC based setup you can use from amazon. It's called the GM nano I believe. It does pretty much everything a GM tech 2 does, but can only work on the 96+ obd2 because of how the adapter is built. I'm looking at getting one of the cko tech 2's for mine. 95 was an off year with GM for abs. I know I tried a tech 1, and couldn't connect because the latest mass storage card only covered up to 94. I found out 95 requires a seperate adapter or supposedly the tech 2 can do it. The reviews are mostly positive, and you can get one for around $300 shipped, and a candi module to do 06-13 for another $60 or so.

I have the CKO Tech 2 and it does not pull ABS or Transfer Case codes.

Well crud. It looks like these instructions are for 95 and earlier trucks. So I’m still on the hunt for a reliable and inexpensive way to trigger the ABS module.

I actually found it for $145 on Ebay, so it's really not a bad price. If I sold my current OTC scan tool I could hopefully recoup about half of that.
The OTC Genesis is one of the few tools that will read timing and off set on the 6.5. If that is what You have and it were Me, I would hang onto the OTC.
Unless it would be to get a Tech 2, but then, the OTC will work on more vehicles than the Tech 2, I believe, not sure though.

The OTC Genesis is one of the few tools that will read timing and off set on the 6.5. If that is what You have and it were Me, I would hang onto the OTC.
Unless it would be to get a Tech 2, but then, the OTC will work on more vehicles than the Tech 2, I believe, not sure though.
I have an OTC 3111

I have the CKO Tech 2 and it does not pull ABS or Transfer Case codes.
I'm getting ready to buy one to see. Theres hundreds of people with nothing but positive to say about them on the corvette, pontiac, and some opel boards. Most have problems navigating the menus because I swear GM had them made confusing on purpose.

Unless you have an obd1, then otc doesn't care as only GM & gmtdscantech do obd1. You can normally find a snap on mt-2500 for $250or so, and they do most everything the others can.

I know the amazon reviews aren't the best, but I've read alot of good feedback on several forums about these. It's bootlegged software, so theres no real manual for using them which causes alot of issues as most can't figure out the software and menus, and many have trouble installing them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074365Q6H/?tag=jhdiesel-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know the amazon reviews aren't the best, but I've read alot of good feedback on several forums about these. It's bootlegged software, so theres no real manual for using them which causes alot of issues as most can't figure out the software and menus, and many have trouble installing them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074365Q6H/?tag=jhdiesel-20
Ok great. That's the one I found, but was scared off by the reviews. This seems like a decent option. I ordered it. I will have it Sunday, so I can play around with it then. Thanks for the link and info!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok great. That's the one I found, but was scared off by the reviews. This seems like a decent option. I ordered it. I will have it Sunday, so I can play around with it then. Thanks for the link and info!
Theres alot of positive feedback on it on the corvette boards. I started to buy one, but I need obd1 as well, so it's a no go for me.

Update:

1. I drove around a while yesterday. It was raining fairly heavily. One of the early stops I made yesterday, the ABS kicked in because it hydroplaned in a puddle momentarily. After that happened my pedal felt better and has continued to feel better ever since. That must have relaeased some air from the module. Now I need to bleed the lines again to get the air all the way out. I should go try to trip the ABS some more but.....

2. I received my GM Nano today. I got it installed on my laptop but it’s saying I don’t have the Tech2 license or it’s out of date. So I’m in the process of figuring that out. There aren’t any install instructions with the unit and the website is mostly in Chinese. There are some threads online so I am trying to get info from there. I want to use the Tech2 to run the ABS Bleed procedure rather than do the work around method of locking up the brakes to run the module.

I will update when I make progress. I hate computers.....

You know, I have heard to get on a gravel/dirt road and try locking up the brakes several times.
They say it'll help to bleed the abs unit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You know, I have heard to get on a gravel/dirt road and try locking up the brakes several times.
They say it'll help to bleed the abs unit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Or some wet grass

Yes, I believe all of those will work, especially since I experienced an improvement when my ABS cycled in the rain, however what I want is a solution to do the job at home without having to drive to my ABS bleeding location with air in the lines. I have to drive about 5 miles to get to a dirt road and I'd rather not do that with iffy brakes. Nor do I want to tear up my lawn trying to bleed the system.

I think I may have found the problem: my laptop is running Windows 10 and the Tech2 software isn't fully compatible with Windows 10. I think I'm going to have to learn how to set up a Windows XP or 7 or 8 virtual machine on my computer and install the program there. Good thing I'm friends with the IT people at work.....

Any road will work to trip the ABS, especially if there is sand or loose substance on the ditch side. Two tires on the solid, two tires on the slick and You have an immediate ABS trip.
That was how I used to test them.
If on solid ice, apply the brakes solid enough to lock up all four tires, speed sensors register it as You are stopped so the ABS will not kick in.

Yes, I believe all of those will work, especially since I experienced an improvement when my ABS cycled in the rain, however what I want is a solution to do the job at home without having to drive to my ABS bleeding location with air in the lines. I have to drive about 5 miles to get to a dirt road and I'd rather not do that with iffy brakes. Nor do I want to tear up my lawn trying to bleed the system.

I think I may have found the problem: my laptop is running Windows 10 and the Tech2 software isn't fully compatible with Windows 10. I think I'm going to have to learn how to set up a Windows XP or 7 or 8 virtual machine on my computer and install the program there. Good thing I'm friends with the IT people at work.....

KISS: Just get a junker Windows XP/7 laptop off fleabay or the IT department if they are giving them away. Virtual machine = complex and STILL may not work.

Any road will work to trip the ABS, especially if there is sand or loose substance on the ditch side. Two tires on the solid, two tires on the slick and You have an immediate ABS trip.
That was how I used to test them.
If on solid ice, apply the brakes solid enough to lock up all four tires, speed sensors register it as You are stopped so the ABS will not kick in.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure it will work for the rears for me now because of my locker, but I do like the theory here.

KISS: Just get a junker Windows XP/7 laptop off fleabay or the IT department if they are giving them away. Virtual machine = complex and STILL may not work.

I think this may be the way to go. I tried playing with my laptop some more last night. I've come to the conclusion that my laptop is just too flakey anyway. Only about half of the time would it recognize the disk in the drive. I decided to try installing the software on our desktop. I had the same problem there, but that machine is also Windows 10, so I can't yet rule out the operating system.

I am looking into a used laptop, but I think in the meantime I'm going to try messing around on some back roads to trip the ABS a few times and then give the whole system another good bleed and see what that does for now.

Ok. It’s good having friends in the IT department at work: he let me borrow one of their older laptops with Windows 7 on it.

I finally got Tech 2 to work. It took a lot of fumbling and the opening of programs in a specific order, but it finally works. Unfortunately I got this message:

E8C18DBE-8942-4383-8121-C777984C732D.jpeg

Sonuva!!!! That’s the one thing I bought this for and what I’ve wrestled with this thing for 3 days for!!! I’m going to contact the manufacturer and hope I get someone that speaks English.

Back