• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bully Dog? Anyone using it?

Bigburban

Reaction score
Found this Bully Dog 40402 engine monitor. Looks like it has some great features for monitoring engine ect. Anyone using one of them on a 6.5?

I went to the website a read about it. It will only work on 96 up OBDII vehicles.

They have it for the Duramax but nothing about the 6.5TD.

Like stated above call them up, see what they say.

From what I have seen most companies that cater to the Duramax do not know the 6.5TD even exist.

Quoted from jegs:

Vehicle Monitoring Functions:
Real Time Fuel Economy - won't work. Serial 2 data in the 6.5 doesn't have the required parameters
Average Fuel Economy - won't work. The 6.5 obdII has no fuel quantity input for the calculation
Trip Fuel Economy - won't work, see two above comments
Load - will/should work, in % load
Coolant Temperature - will/should work
Fuel Pressure (gasoline vehicles) - won't work, duh!
Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel vehicles) - won't work, not a 6.5 monitored parameter
Manifold Absolute Pressure - may work, probably show boost pressure, or maybe baro in the S trucks
Engine RPM - will/should work
Speed - will/should work
Timing Position - may work, depends on the PID input. Only way to find out is try it. Meant for gassers
Air Intake Temperature - will/should work

Mass Air Flow (grams/sec) - may work, if you have one of the mass air equipped trucks.
Throttle Position - should/may work, in % throttle
Fuel Level - won't work, see average fuel economy commets
Battery Voltage - will work
Ambient Air Temperature - I'm gonna say won't work. Only input I've seen is for IAT. The 6.5 trucks don't seem to care about AAT

Transmission Temperature - depends on what PID they're monitoring, I'm gonna guess won't work
Pyrometer #1 & 2*(optional) - won't work, you need to add a probe
Boost* - see MAP comments
IPW (Injection Pulse Width)* - I'm gonna won't work, this is meant for common rail trucks, although I can adjust it on 6.5 trucks ;)
Barometer* - see comments already made
Oil Temperature* - I'm gonna say won't work. Not monitored on 6.5 trucks
ICP (Injection Control Pressure* - I'm gonna say won't work. Not monitored on 6.5 trucks

*Diesel Specific Monitoring functions

It should also work to read and clear DTC's as it states and it should have enough parameters available to do the performance calculations it claims (ie: hp, 1/4 mile, etc) but I wouldn't put money on it's accuracy there....

That's all from memory of what PIDs are available in the 6.5 OBDII serial 2 data stream. I'd have to get out my programming stuff and dig around to say absolutely one way or the other (memory isn't quite what it used to be these days :rolleyes5:)

So, I'm gonna say you're wasting you money if you buy it with the expectation of it all to work as advertised.

If you are ok with limited monitoring functions, it may be the kit for you.....

:)

Great info Thanks! Doesen't look like I am gonna get the Bully Dog. DennisG01 have you used the Scangauge? Just looking for something with a little better measures versus the factory gauges and maybe fuel economy data if possible.

I have the ScanGaugeII in my truck. Well, I haven't mounted it in the Sub yet, but I had it in my 96 ECLB for 8 months or so. I used it to monitor IAT, ECT, RPM and voltage. Not much else that it can do is of merit on a 6.5. It has fuel mileage calculation ability, but it takes some learning to get in the ballpark. My fillups are anything but consistent due to an empty wallet, and it never learned it right.

It is certainly nice to have, especially for the ECT. It reports in real time, with maybe 0.5 second lag so you know exactly what temp the sender is reading.

I just got it about a month ago, but am impressed. I got it mainly for reading/clearing codes while driving. But the extra features it has are nice.

Having IAT is great. That's one (of 4 available on the screen) that I usually have up all the time. But you can change what gauges you see on the fly.

It also does Load, expressed in % - which is nice as it tells you how hard you're working the truck.

Like bfourman said, it can do fuel stuff like MPG and GPH, but I haven't set that up so far.

It can do 0-60, 60-0 and other stuff, but I haven't played with that, yet, either.

I just recently found out I can add some customization to it to monitor even more features (called x-gauge).

Did some checking and looks like scangauge II is the way to go. I emailed the company to see if they have a list of what all it would monitor.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I have this one. I was actually part of R&D. When the guy came out with this, he gave one to me to try out and give him feedback. Works pretty good, but as stated, the instant fuel mileage isn't supported because our trucks don't monitor fuel level. But you can do partial fill and full fill up and input numbers to it to get it close. Plug it into my wifes 2001 Malibu though and it is really close to what I calculate after fill ups. I mainly use it to monitor ECT, IAT, and codes if they arise. Was towing trailer home from camping one time and this beeping started going off, didn't know what it was, grabbed the ultra gauge and it said code pending, forget the code number but it said wastegate solenoid malfunction. Looked down at my boost gauge, and sure enough, there was no boost. I have had it for probably 2-3 years now, and haven't had a problem with it.

Back