• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

broken glow plugs

06 gmc lly

Reaction score
hello everyone.. first off thanks for the add.
i had 4 glow plug codes. cylinders 1,2 7,8. was dreading cylinder 8 but it came out. i went to use the air chisel attachment for cylinder 1 and the rusty glow plug broke off. so i stopped. resprayed knock loose on it. heat cycled the engine and resprayed. . oddly the head of this glow plug was a 10 mm not the 12mm cylinder 8 had. in fact the rest appear to be a smaller hex side. . my question is what techniques have you tried that worked. . i was going to try an easy out but they seem to cause more problems . however irwin makes a nut extractor set that may work on the protruding peace..
just looking for ideas. my early 99 f-250 has well over 500,000 miles i'm hoping this 06 duramax proves to be as reliable..
thanks in advance

Welcome to The Truck Stop, 06 gmc lly.

Looks like btfarm has already provided you some tips on the glow plugs. Be patient, I am sure there will be others that might chime in on this topic.

Project Farm on YouTube did heads up comparisons and my beloved atf/acetone mix didnt win, but was high ranking and cost was low. In the end if price doesn’t matter ($15 per can) Gibbs is the absolute best. If you all want I can post links of the 3 videos he did in comparisons.

Definitely soak it and give a day to soak in. I’ve learned repeated soaking over a few days helps even more if you have a couple days to wait.

Another thing to do right before removing is Loctite “Freeze and Release”. It works just oike if you heat something with a torch - but obviously you don’t want to put a torch on your glowplug! Haha. The difference in temperature between the two metals works by getting the glowplug super cold it shrinks it slightly and helps it come free.

Back