• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Boost lag leads to bad vane position sensor

07HDClassic

Reaction score
I was having trouble creating boost between 1500-2300 rpm's and at idle the vanes in the turbo were opening and closing every 5 seconds or so. Then I got a CEL and took it to the dealer to check on. They read the codes as P003a (engine turbo boost controller) and P2563 (turbocharger vane control position sensor performance). The diagnosed the problem and found that the vane position sensor and possibly the vane position solenoid are bad.

The bad news was that it will not be covered under my warranty. both of these parts are covered under a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty, and I am at 57,000. So now I am getting ready to order the parts and install them myself.

I thought that I would give anyone else that may have a problem like this a heads-up of what you may be in for.

yes 5yr 100,000 mile. the factory warranty is that for powertrain also. that is bs. get a different dealer or call gm directly.

Since you have an 07, I would print this off and go back to the dealer with it. It specifically says on GM's site that all 07-09 vehicles are covered by a zero deductible 5 year 100K mile powertrain warranty. And it lists the turbocharger directly under the engine section of the powertrain warranty.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

I just got off the phone with GM, and told them about my issue and asked why these parts are covered under the emissions warranty. They told me that the turbo housing, internals, bearing, seals, etc are covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. The position sensor and solenoid are not covered under that warranty because they are not part of the internals and they are covered under the emissions warranty.

So the person that I talked to is going to go through the situation again to make sure that this is correct and then get back to me tomorrow morning.

.... but it doesn't sound like it will be covered. I just want to know so if I have to I can order the parts so I can get the truck back to normal and drive it.

Emissions warranty used to be 8 years or 80,000 miles which was mandated by the EPA, NOT the builder.

You may want to call back GM and reference this portion of there warranty.

6.6L DURAMAX DIESEL POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTYFor trucks equipped with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine, the complete engine assembly — including turbocharger components — is covered for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty also features a $0 deductible and is transferable to another owner at no additional charge.This is from there warranty page under additional warranty details.
http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

I listened to the voicemail the GM twit left on Brandon's phone...damn she dumb. I mean if they did a windtunnel test on her the whistle would be deafening. Now she's claming those parts would have only been covered onder the 3yr/36k miles section of the warranty.:mad2:

I listened to the voicemail the GM twit left on Brandon's phone...damn she dumb. I mean if they did a windtunnel test on her the whistle would be deafening. Now she's claming those parts would have only been covered onder the 3yr/36k miles section of the warranty.:mad2:

The part in red is straight from GM regarding the DURAMAX warranty and it clearly says turbocharger compnents, it doesn't get much clearer than that.

The part in red is straight from GM regarding the DURAMAX warranty and it clearly says turbocharger compnents, it doesn't get much clearer than that.

I read the link you posted. My only question is this: it clearly states "model year 2007-2009..." Is that GMT-900 only or does a 2007 Classic count?

gmt 800 counts. that warranty came out in late 06 for the early 07 models. it is covered. everything in the powertrain is covered 100k no questions. the older diesel warranty did the same except you paid 100 bucks for deductible. now you dont.

Just got off the phone with GM for the second time... and got no where again! So I called Tyler & Kelly Chevrolet in Lewiston Idaho and talked to a representative in the warranty department and finally got a few answers.

The vane position sensor:
covered under the 5yr/50,000 mile Emissions Warranty

The vane position solenoid:
covered under the 5yr/50,000 mile Emissions Warranty
and
covered under the 5yr/100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty

So the sensor is not covered under the powertrain warranty, because no sensors on the motor are covered. I am at 57,xxx miles on my truck, so the sensor is not covered under the emissions warranty either. :mad2:

I ordered the sensor (a $506 part) so I can get the truck back on the road. I'll install it and see how the truck runs. The diesel tech said that the solenoid was functioning but not all the time, so there is a possibility that the solenoid will have to be replaced too.

With this new information from the gentleman at Tyler & Kelly, the solenoid is covered under warranty.

that is crap. but it is true. i just had the service manager check. they have a list of things covered and its not on it. emmisions only. i would be on the phone with a lawyer and gm asking questions now. how they can offer a powertrain warranty for 100k and have people driving around, and buying cars thinking they are getting a better warranty when they dont is just corrupt. i am fuming now thanks guys:D. this needs to be brought up to the news or something for some investigative detective work. how sneeky they are putting things in lists that determine what is covered and not.

I figured that I would give everyone an update on the issues with my truck. As of last Friday, Oct 9th, I had not heard any news about the vane position sensor (GM #12635324) that I ordered on Sept. 16 from a local dealership.

I called a GM parts dealer (buygmpartsworldwide.com) to get another opinion on what part #'s I could/couldn't get and to get a time frame. The first time I called I talked to a lady that was not sure how to fully answer my question, so she left all of my info with her manager so he could better answer my question. On Monday I still had not heard anything, so I called again. The gentleman that I had talked to was very helpful. I had him look up GM #12635324 and the availability of it, and I was told "That part is on a board for approval and will not be approved by GM for sales until mid November at the soonest" :confused5: So the part that I had ordered was not even available yet!

I had him check the LBZ part number (98011739) that I had along with the LMM part number (98061570) also. The LBZ # number is no longer available and has been superseded by the LMM #. Then he looked up the LMM # and found that it has been superseded by GM #12635324, the part that is not available yet, but he did a locate on the LMM # and found many of them out there at dealerships.

I call the local dealership up and told them what I was told by the buygmpartsworldwide.com representative and had them run a locate on the LMM #....... There was one less than 3 hours away at a dealership!!!!! So I ordered the LMM part # on noon yesterday and it was in my hands today at 12:30 and it was $308 out the door.

I talked to the diesel tech at the dealership to see if he had any pointers on the install of the new sensor and he guided me through the procedure and even gave me his 1 inch crows foot to make it easier for me.

So after all that, the new sensor is in (in less than 15 mins) and it is going in tomorrow at 1 for the dealership to learn the new sensor with the tech2.

That is a crappy dealer if you ask me...that close out of warranty they should "good will" the repair... but you only get one good will per vin...at least thats what my service manager had told me...so use it wisely...they have done goodwill repairs on all my vehicles out of the 3/36 warranty...maybe things have changed??

That is a crappy dealer if you ask me...that close out of warranty they should "good will" the repair... but you only get one good will per vin...at least thats what my service manager had told me...so use it wisely...they have done goodwill repairs on all my vehicles out of the 3/36 warranty...maybe things have changed??

Well if it's one "good will" repair per vin... I've already used that one up. I started having troubles with my locker around 34,000 miles. It went in around 4-5 times until it was finally replaced and that was around 39,000 or so. And the dealership replaced my trans line twice after the 36,000 was up. They have been pretty good to me so far minus the run-around for this sensor.

Back