• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
Strange boost issue w/HX40w 18 cm2, normally starts to spool at 1.1k I have boost set to 30 psi (gauge) on a hot day it will boost a little less and on a cool day it would spike a little higher upon initial throttle to WOT there would be a very noticeable cloud of black smoke which would clear up right away.

After disconnecting vehicles batteries for a day to do some work on the Burb it was hard to start at first then started and restarts normally, however now I can only get 10 to 12 psi boost on gauge with a bellowing cloud of black smoke until I release throttle power is off and max EGT is 300 deg. f. higher than what it was before.

I checked TDCO it’s at -1.85 and there are no codes, and no matter how waste gate is adjusted from low boost to total lock down (gate locked closed) the boost never goes beyond the 10 to 12 psi boost on gauge. I did check the turbo to make sure there is not a bearing issue it’s ok and spins free for a little while after shut down and I can spin it easily by hand too.

“I’M STUMPED.”

Check air filter, then follow air flow to the turbo with a fine tooth comb. Lost hose clamp or split boot somewhere?

Did you double check wastegate is actually closing and opening when you checked the shaft?

Back