• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bolts in place of plastic rocker arm buttons.

Will L.

Reaction score
Wish I could afford the $600 for roller rockers, but not gonna happen.
But the plastic retainers that hold the rocker arm on the shafts - hated them since I first learned of them and still do.

I saw someone replaced them with bolts, but can’t find the thread. Help?

iirc they tapped threads into the shafts and used bolts and some brass washers? Guessing allen bolts to keep corners of bolt heads away?

The link was supposed to be to the same one AK posted, 'replacing Rocker buttons' by member Long Brown Train, 3 January 2019. Instead, I got this thread link copied in... mac vs windows dyslexia I guess.

Blast from the past, here's mine.
Don't remember who sourced the kit but Ted (635) bought them for the motor during his ownership.

Ok. That looks familiar. It was probably that one insaw years ago. I was thinking something with round headed bolts. Thanks.

I plan to use 3 flat brass washers which equal the same diameter and height of a single plastic nylon retainer with zinc plated grade 8 1/4” bolts and self locking nuts inside the shaft.I bought a package of 100 brass washers from eBay.Just trying to find time to get the rockers into place.

I'm not a fan of the stamp steel rocker arms myself. I agree the Hartlandsharp roller tip rockers are nice. But the price is crazy for just a roller tip rocker. They still use bushing on the shafts!! I'm using the early cast rockers. The shafts can be re hard chromed and machined back to spec. Fresh set of bushings and they should last a long while.

I always wondered why they didn't go with a bearing between the rocker and a shaft. If the shaft had to
Be replaced by a smaller diameter one for clearance, so what. The roller tip is obviously an improvement, but still a large amount of drag could be reduced by roller bearing.

I, too, have seriously considered the roller rockers for my build. In speaking with Chris from Twisted Steel, he recommended them. (Not to be a name-dropping smart-ass...but I highly respect his knowledge and experience!) However, I've now reconsidered, and am 90% sure the factory rockers will suffice for my use.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advantage of have a roller on the arm...reducing side load and friction...but, I agree with what has already been said:

...Hartlandsharp roller tip rockers are nice. But the price is crazy for just a roller tip rocker. They still use bushing on the shafts...

I always wondered why they didn't go with a bearing between the rocker and a shaft. If the shaft had to
Be replaced by a smaller diameter one for clearance, so what. The roller tip is obviously an improvement, but still a large amount of drag could be reduced by roller bearing.

Just not seeing $600+ worth of benefit. Can nothing be done? Is there no other option...putting something together with off the shelf components? Until something of greater value comes along, I'm going to use the stamped rockers...albeit, replacing the plastic retainers with something more substantial, as show here. But please, somebody, you are welcome to try and change my mind, or and/or offer a better alternative!

Back