• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blower Motor Works Briefly, Then Trips Off

Big T

Reaction score
After about 20 minutes, can repeat the process. Motor works for about a minute, then shuts off. I recently replaced the resistor on top of the motor.

Can you get an inductive amp gauge over the wire feeding it and see if it is increasing load before stopping? If so sign of motor going or loosing it’s ground.

Can you get an inductive amp gauge over the wire feeding it and see if it is increasing load before stopping? If so sign of motor going or loosing it’s ground.

Have no idea what you're talking about. Please explain with more detail and in simpleton language.

I was sayin Measure amp draw of motor when it is running and as it dies- the connection they are talking about is most likey issue

Is this the connector you’re speaking of? It shows signs of melting, but it's single wire. Does that mean the blower motor is going out? If so, which brand at Rockauto: VDO, Four Seasons, TYC?

Attachments

• 48947A4D-1B9B-45C8-8106-27CBDC0A3F7B.jpeg
    48947A4D-1B9B-45C8-8106-27CBDC0A3F7B.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 13
I separated that plug. Definitely single wire and definitely melting. It is for the blower motor.

Attachments

• D77F0C4A-0EB1-423A-AC0F-A3805D0C1430.jpeg
    D77F0C4A-0EB1-423A-AC0F-A3805D0C1430.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 6
It can point to the blower motor pulling more juice than normal but the connection is also a weak link. Measuring the amp draw is the only real way to tell

It can point to the blower motor pulling more juice than normal but the connection is also a weak link. Measuring the amp draw is the only real way to tell

How do I measure the amp draw? Where do I attache the amp meter for the test? On the exposed wire where it melted?

I went out and put the amp meter on it. It pulls 19.6 on the uA setting. After about 30 seconds, it starts to get hot and then it loses connectivity and motor goes off. Jiggling the wire gets the motor going again. So it sounds like the plug is bad. What do you do for a replacement?

Blower control module is only on vehicles with auto temperature control. All others got just the resistor.

Having trouble finding a plug replacement.

I would cut the wires back to where they are not burned, crimp, solder, and tape it up. The connector is for the assembly line. You may have to replace the wire if its coroded or melted a long run.

Then I would replace the high hour/ mile blower motor as IMO high amp draw is a possibility for failure. So is age and corosion on the connector. AC Delco IMO are quiet vs. cheap loud knock off motors.

Add a ground strap to the blower motor to body. Ground resistance adds problems to the circuit.

Rockauto does not offer an AC Delco Blower Motor. I looked up the part on AC Delco's site and they give a Part # 15-80665. I do a search and Amazon has this AC Delco Blower Motor for $77.73 with free shipping. However, I get the disclaimer that it does not fit my 1999 Suburban K2500. So I'm confused at this point.

Can you return the motor free shipping if it doesn't fit?

This is the type of wire repair I suggest. No crimp on this one. Aluminum foil catches drips.

100_5107.JPG 100_5106.JPG

Back