• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blow by question

And Actually mine is the four bolts. (Clutch fan) I'm just hoping that 99 water pump will fit when It gets here tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1559082890866248826433.jpg
    1559082890866248826433.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 15590829153351646741924.jpg
    15590829153351646741924.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2
It's okay... I can verify one thing... Since the wife is mad at me.. I don't want to be home LOL so went to my buddies and changed the fan clutch.. took her out on the highway..doing 70 and she runs about 185-190.. keep in mind that this is with no trailer... I get off the highway and climb a hill... And she spikes right up over 210... No good... I have to be able to do that with 10,000 pounds of behind me

And before anybody says it yes I know I have to take it right back off tomorrow to put the water pump on..lol. but hey I was bored

Yeah just found that out about an hour and a half ago when my friend was under the truck.. he said it's seeping... I know I'm going to get yelled at for this.. but I called AutoZone and told them to order me a original equipment one. They were the only place open and any part store around here was going to have to order the part overnight. I figure since you said original equipment is high output on a 97 and that one will bolt up to the clutch fan I already bought what the heck..

No but i have my exhaust gutted and coming out right behind the cab s it's pretty loud so maybe I won't hear it..??

I can hear mine with a 4" basically no muffler system. If it doesn't come on then you'll need to really clean that cooling stack

We're taking the whole front of the truck apart tomorrow...cleaning the cooling stack ..flushing the cooling system..puting the new water pump in ..a new power steering pump ..new thermostats..putting the block heaters in that I bought over the winter..and a/c pump I got off a friend...if that don't fix it dynamite will...lol

Ok so ..after much confusion..(and a couple returns )..lol..I have the right water pump ..which is high flow as ak and others said..was juuussst about to tear into it then decided to check YouTube video on doing water pump on this truck........ ....... ....... .....😒 There is a enginere at general motors with a very sick sense of humor...so.. since I have to tear half the front of the engine apart just to change the water pump .. and I have a brand new power steering pump that I've been putting off installing...I figured what the heck might as well change the timing chain while I have it apart since it's already going to be exposed cuz I have to take the timing cover off to get the water pump off.. I would love to do the full geared timing and eliminate a chain but then I saw the price.. $400...umm nope not feeling rich. The chain will be in tomorrow morning I think it was 30 something bucks.. just for the heck of it I'm going to go ahead and change the thermostats and plenum gasket... If any of you know any hang ups that I could possibly run into doing any of this please feel free to let me know because tomorrow is probably going to be a very aggravating day..the only question is do I drink the beer before or after the job..lol

When into timing chain- I like to do a front main seal while there.
Yeah, timing gears aren’t cheap.

Having learned gm on small block chevy gassers- yes I too believe an engineer lost his frickin mind coming up with this convoluted mess of a water pump. Of all the things to not copy from the gassers...smh

And yeah I've had mostly Chevy 350s all my life..this is my first diesel.. and a 6.5 was not the one to learn diesels on..lol..but I guess if I can learn to work on this I'll be able to work on just about anything

Back