• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blow by question

Stoney

Reaction score
Decided to do the blow by test where you use a bucket of water and a clear rubber hosehooked to the dipstick tube..at idle it doesn't seem to pull water up tube at all..at 1000 rpm it pulls it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up hose...at 2k rpm it pulls water about 2 inch up the hose ...she smokes out the oil filler hole a little..not a major amount.. how else can I test for blow-by.. she does have oil leaks in the valve cover gaskets not major ones though.. also how do you get your engine pressure tested and about what does it cost if anybody knows..just trying to determine if this engine is worth putting a lot of money into upgrades for.. anyone elses help and knowledge would be really appreciated

I just pull the oil filler cap with it idling. If you see only small wisps of smoke your ok. If it chugges like a freight train then the engine is getting tired. Other than oil consumption and a slight loss in power you won't be able to tell the difference in how it runs. My 96 chugged like a freight train but still run pretty good started easy etc. It died at 306k with a broken crank. Still on the original HB. I didn't do any upgrades to it until I had close to 200k on it.
Also that blow by test should be done with the air filter removed as it can greatly skew that test.
The biggest killer of the 6.5 is temperature. Anything over 210* kills, the higher the temperature you reach the faster it dies.

A.k. ..That leads to my other question..it's running hot like around 200-210 when pulling hills with a trailer.. today pulling a one car trailer with a Jeep liberty on it she just felt like she didn't have any power pulling the hill and hill wasn't even that serious although I was taking off from a dead stop at a stop sign.. by the time I crested the top she was probably at 205.. thinking I need to do something to help cool her better.. my thinking is if she doesn't have a lot of blow by and the injection pump is good then the engine should be healthy enough to do some upgrades to.. she's cab 235000 on her right now but she lived in Georgia her whole life so until I got her she has never had a cold start.. if anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears

I Can't hear the fan and it spins stiffly by hand..it's a 9 blade though..I was told there's a fan and clutch specifically for trucks that haul..gonna upgrade to 4" exhaust with 3" down pipe and diamond eye cross over when I put that hx 35 turbo on...what do you mean by cooling stacks?

Seems that with oil, tranny,and a/c coolers all in front of the radiator it would restrict sir flow pretty bad

Those items are the cooling stack, one on top of the other. If they're dirty it will restrict airflow and thus cooling. It doesn't take much dirt to make a big difference

Lol..new term in my vocabulary...I'll separate them tomorrow and take compressor to them..blow them clean.. I had been told that I should be able to hear my fan kicking in but I don't... Maybe time to replace .

Best cleaning is done by total removal and soaking the fins with scrubbing bubbles or something similar. Pia but worth it if you having cooling issues. I wouldn't use air or at least not high pressure air as you can bend the fins pretty easily. From your description of not hearing the fan I'd fix that first and go from there

Thanks Ak. I'm going to start going over all of it today I've got to figure this out.. I know I've heard you guys saying the 9 blade fan is good for cooling..but that does no good if the clutch isn't engaging right LOL.. at least that a fairly cheap fix.. kind of got used to this engine doing crazy stuff.. I really need to start posting everything on here that it does so you guys can tell me what's normal and what's not...

I would really love to see a heads up comparison of Kennedy’s to the electro viscous that @ak diesel driver did. If our AK resident friend had a photo reflecting tach, we would know simply by say—set the rpm @ 1000 steady and with overriding fan to the on position, read the fan rpm. A quick 2nd grade math problem and poof. I wish I still had mine, I’d send it your way to see.

If anyone has one and we have folks willing to measure theirs...

Kennedy’s advantages over the hayden is earlier to come in, and higher percentage lock up of 5%-7% by what testing I did. But we don’t know what % the ev one is.
As to the two in comparison, the Kennedy comes on at lower temp, but does everyone need it to come on at that temp? Same when putting to the grocery store and a rig that doesn’t work hard vs someone towing half a mountain up another mountain?
Some of you living where humidity is so common you should have gills vs me in a desert so dry that my radiator only performs half what the engineers intended?

The obvious advantage of controlling where it comes on is a monster win in beating the heat.

Then he fact that you could force it on with a switch for the times when you are at the bottom of the mountain towing crazy and you normally don’t. So kick it on early and beat the heat soak game before the load starts.

Then something many of you might not care about. A/C.
If you tap the A/C system and tie into a contol relay to kick on the fan to help it work better by pulling heat off the condenser- that is a win. Maybe you are in a mid humid place where the a/c is on lower setting most of the time. Hook up the other portion so instead of max on, you get a 35% on level to get improved a/c and not max noise, fuel burned.

Something I also like is the ability to shut the fan off for a few minutes- like fording water. Fans under water bend or brake when a hair too much throttle is used, or the plastic fans are old. Not just crossing water playing off road, but I see something occur here in the town that built the hoover dam. Boat owners- when they back into a shallow place or really steep one all is ok. Bit when it is just right- and there is one place here that makes it happen- they throttle hard to get out with the boat and the fan is under water-..bye fan. Then they climb the hill from the lake up And overheat. Something similar for some of you folks could be a concern. Simple switch fixes it.

I Can't hear the fan and it spins stiffly by hand..it's a 9 blade though..I was told there's a fan and clutch specifically for trucks that haul..gonna upgrade to 4" exhaust with 3" down pipe and diamond eye cross over when I put that hx 35 turbo on...what do you mean by cooling stacks?
If you are in the rust belt and plan to keep the truck, I'd go with the stainless system.

Just got a new tow /haul fan clutch today. I'm going to install it tonight... Already have a 9 blade fan.. and yes I live right in the heart of the rust belt good old upstate New York where we believe rock salt can destroy anything and use it liberally... I've been calling around trying to find a high flow water pump but everybody says there isn't one offered for that truck.. is that just a aftermarket custom part?.. I'll keep you all posted on if she starts running cooler for me... It's really sucked lately cuz I don't really dare take her on any hauling jobs because of all the problems I've been having lately... I'd rather stay off the road for a while and get the problems sorted out then risk tearing up my truck.

Um..so will the 99 git and work?..cause I ordered a 97 earlier today then when I saw your message about using a 99 I called and told them to cancel it and get me a 99

Back