• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heater question

the thermo start needs some fuel pressure and the valve inside it must be some sorta bimetallic spring deal it won't open until it gets hot from the electrical circut

That's the beauty of it: gets hot quick then once moving air hits it BAM-FIRE. Heating elements all need the moving air.

Ya know, If your oil pan was made from inconel under your stick on heat pad...

And all you cold weather people- inconel wood stove?

Yeppers. The 7.3's AIH draws hard on the system and browns the headlights with the motor running. Not hard enough a draw to make the engine stumble though.

For comparison, the Burb's headlights do not brown when the glows come-on after the engine starts.

For comparison, the Burb's headlights do not brown when the glows come-on after the engine starts.

My head lights do dim after the truck starts with the after glow... in fact all my dash lights do as well. would that be a bad connection some where? Or alternator going out the door?

Just a for the info statement, I forgot to plug the truck in last night and when I went to start the truck before heading out this morning she was quite stubborn starting. I could tell each time a new cylinder starting firing. So the block heater definitely helps with easier starting. :oops:

Get a timer. (One that is rated for outside use.)

I put mine on both a timer and thermostat so that I am not pre-heating if the night time temps do not get cold enough.

No real downside to running the heater all night except paying 600W's worth of electricity for a few extra hours ;)

Do you have the thermostat by the engine or for ambient air temp?

What thermostat do you use?

Does anybody have a link to a 220 volt thermostat that plugs in.

I would really like to get a few diesel heaters installed. You do not have to worry about plugging in. You're good to go no matter where you are and they have the remote start feature.

Diesel heaters are on my bucket list. Would have been great when I was traveling all the time and picking my parking spots based on being 100' from a receptacle

Tank style heaters can often be faster heating (compared to freeze plug block heater) when the plumbing circuit has a fair bit of vertical height difference, so convection can effectively drive directed water circulation. Keeps bringing fresh, cold water past heat element, so heater isn't being thermostat limited in it's heat output.

Block heater doesn't have as organized convection circuit, so the heater's thermostat is probably starting to limit heat output before all the water in the block extemeties is up to thermostat temp.

Just a for the info statement, I forgot to plug the truck in last night and when I went to start the truck before heading out this morning she was quite stubborn starting. I could tell each time a new cylinder starting firing.

Maybe time to check the glow plugs?

Do you have the thermostat by the engine or for ambient air temp?

What thermostat do you use?

Ambient and keep it in an adjacent car port so that (for grins) it stays out of the elements.

Attachments

• CAM00262[1].jpg
    CAM00262[1].jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2
  • CAM00264[1].jpg
    CAM00264[1].jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2
  • CAM00263[1].jpg
    CAM00263[1].jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
Maybe time to check the glow plugs?

I changed the driver side when I bought the truck and never took the time to do the passenger. Still have the new ones for it. Should I get 4 more and replace the newish drivers. While doing a different repair I figured out How to remove the passenger wheel well so it should be way easier now. How often should they be done?

I changed the driver side when I bought the truck and never took the time to do the passenger. Still have the new ones for it. Should I get 4 more and replace the newish drivers. While doing a different repair I figured out How to remove the passenger wheel well so it should be way easier now. How often should they be done?
As long as you used AC Delco 60G's or Bosch Duraterms you should be fine, If you used any other glow plugs I would pull them and pitch them. Glow plugs will last a good long time.

I like to pull mine, give them a visual and a fresh coat of anti-sieze every couple of years. But I onky change them when they need it. Often I only change the bad glow plugs. I had to change one out of the 4, I checked on the Tahoe a few weeks ago. We'll see how the other 4 look

I agree just change the bad ones IF LOW ON CASH. I also have turned more than 1 v8 into a v7 just to keep driving...

If cash isn't the problem then I say ALWAYS do full set. Think of the load 4 cylinders running and 4'not running puts on a proven bad block and crank. Factor in higher miles= more risk for unneeded wear or damage Imo.

If you just put in the 4 within last 15,000 miles then call them new.

Still disconnect them and test them. The bad AC Delco 60G I recenetly swapped on the Tahoe wasn't all that old either.

I've got my best prices on AC DElco 60G's at Autozone

Back