• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heater question

Not something I do normally but have done without problems. eg: I have the truck plugged in to feed cows, it snows a lot so I use the tractor from the shop. If it is cold enough I'll leave the truck plugged in, in case I need it for anything.

Get a timer. (One that is rated for outside use.)

I put mine on both a timer and thermostat so that I am not pre-heating if the night time temps do not get cold enough.

No real downside to running the heater all night except paying 600W's worth of electricity for a few extra hours ;)

Get a timer. (One that is rated for outside use.)

I put mine on both a timer and thermostat so that I am not pre-heating if the night time temps do not get cold enough.

No real downside to running the heater all night except paying 600W's worth of electricity for a few extra hours ;)
Good point. Didn't think of that one. How long before I leave in the morning should it be on? Couple hrs?

Have noticed as much as 20* F per hour and naturally there are factors that will affect this.

The timer is set at about 2 hours before I typically expect to leave which for most of the winter here is plenty of time. If it is cold enough that I do not think the 2 hours is enough to bring the block at least into the 40* F range, I will move the start time earlier.

Consder paying the few extra $$ for a digital timer so that you do not have to reset the time in the event of a power outage.

The thermostat is set for about 50* F. For the thermostat, I use an adjustible one that is commonly used for livestock watering holes.

Once you get everything set-up, the only remaining thing to figure out is a method so that you remember to unplug in the morning (Don't ask how I know this ;) ). Or put another way, you will probably forget not much more than once :D

Alright. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that stuff this week end. [emoji4]
Even though as far as winter/ cold goes this year it's only been below 35 for a few days in the past 2 months. Michigan is so weird that way. Its been 50s the last 2 weeks, this weekend 30 for a high maby and then back to 50s again.

Once you get everything set-up, the only remaining thing to figure out is a method so that you remember to unplug in the morning (Don't ask how I know this ;) ). Or put another way, you will probably forget not much more than once :D[/QUOTE]

Thankfully I haven't done that yet. [emoji3]

If you are hitting highway speeds within a mile or two of a cold start, consider heating the tranny as well. The ECM will not lock the torque converter until coolant reaches 130* F and the trans fluid reaches 70* F. If either fluid is colder than the respective temperature, the TCC will not lock.

I am going off of what the ECM is seeing. In fairness, I do not know the code's actual setting, but I do know what the ECM sees in real-time.

170* F might be the 'apparent' temperature if going off of the dash gauge (which typically indicates significantly warmer than what the ECM sees as the motor comes up to temperature). Seeing as the ECM and dash are getting measurements from different places, I can understand why 170*F might look like the TCC lock point.

Naturally, one of the tuners could have changed the value, but am not sure that this is common.

I used mine for 6 months here when I was learning about insta-fail-to heat plugs. I always plugged it in when I parked it and let it cook till the next morning. Never thought of waking up early.

And I will not admit to backing out of the driveway and then having to get out and unplug the extension cord. Twice.

And I will not admit to backing out of the driveway and then having to get out and unplug the extension cord. Twice.

That might have something to do with how I now lay out the cord. I allow for at least two opportunities for a wheel to yank the cord . . . Or, if I am not feeling particularly bright that week, I hang the cord over the drivers side mirror (this also helps if somebody else is going to borrow the truck). :)

I've used a timer before, but if a power surge happens it resets. Then out comes the "Tiger torch" and a piece of pipe:D

That's what I did was start hanging ext cord an my mirror.

I still wonder if using the cummins wire heater would be a better way to go. Maybe 2 side by side so there's a lot of air flow. I know they used to remove the set up for more air flow and a bigger inlet pipe.

Back