• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heater making a humming noise like a fan running when I plug it in

Harley Davidson 83

Reaction score
What is it when I plug in my 6.5 turbo diesel engine and it makes a humming noise like a fan running. Is it a good or bad thing

Sizzling is common when the coolant around the heater element is still cold.

Humming (as-in 60 cycle) sound might indicate a current (electricity) leak.

Consider trying to get some audio (or just a video with the sound) and post it.

I recently had an interesting thing happen when I plugged mine in.
It blew the radiator cap off. I mean like an explosion (well, it WAS an explosion).

Totally cold motor (of course). And it blew the radiator cap off and the block heater out a bit so all coolant leaked out in about 5 minutes of running.
Looks like the element inside was defective, grounded and blew when I put voltage to it. The pressure caused everything to go boom.

It was a serious pain in the butt but I was able to get a new one installed without pulling the motor for access.

Wow, never saw the last post from Harley Davidson 83- kinda a drastic jump- are you still around, anything we can help with?

Hink- yeah its a good shocker when that happens. Do a pressure test to make sure it didnt cause any other leaks or damage. Also test the cap. Didn't know you could overheat the engine without it running,huh?

If that was a new part I would be making a phone call or two about them paying for the part and coolant cost at least- and let them know you are letting them off of the labor costs, so they don't whine about it.

Wow, never saw the last post from Harley Davidson 83- kinda a drastic jump- are you still around, anything we can help with?

Hink- yeah its a good shocker when that happens. Do a pressure test to make sure it didnt cause any other leaks or damage. Also test the cap. Didn't know you could overheat the engine without it running,huh?

If that was a new part I would be making a phone call or two about them paying for the part and coolant cost at least- and let them know you are letting them off of the labor costs, so they don't whine about it.

The new block heater, NAPA will be paying for that. I've never been in a situation where trying to recupe all costs have ever been worth my time and grief.
The awesome Spectra copper core radiator was already leaking and I got a new cap. So far- so good. I will be changing the radiator out and trying to get a pressure test done this summer .

Back