• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

blazer's progress

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
Man this truck was full of holes. Then again it still is but i've made pretty good progress. i found out i can't weld to save my life, but i'm getting plenty of practice.

Here's some pictures of before and after on the body repairs so far. It runs great thankfully so that's a plus. Once it's solid again i think she'll make a good truck.

Before

passenger side corner and a glimpse of the floor.

picture.php

Whats left of the floor around the passenger side body mount.

picture.php

Driver's side corner and the random square-ish hole was where a seat bolt was, it pulled up with the carpet. :mad2:

picture.php

Close up of the rot before i started cutting and patching.

picture.php

Outside shot of the truck. even the rockers are rotted.

picture.php

Driver's side of the tailpan before repairs but after cutting out the worst of it.

picture.php

After some cutting and welding but it's still far from done

Passenger corner.

picture.php

Passenger side floor after first coat of primer. most of it came right up as there was so much scale in the floors. :mad2: you can see all the little pinholes and some of the larger holes that i just filled in, hence the huge globs of weld randomly.

picture.php

Galvanized welds like crap, but it's quite solid. The gray is zinc rich primer. supposed to "destroy rust" according the the can. :rolleyes:

picture.php

More friggin rust/rot.

picture.php

Passenger side of the tailpan finished.

picture.php

Driver's side of tailpan finished. This side was also boxed in with two 90* pieces of steel for reinforcement.

picture.php

A few more small patches on the tailpan center area.

picture.php

Passenger side floor body mount area patched. The body mount was still holding perfectly fine so i just cut the rust out and patched the holes.

picture.php

Zoomed out shot of the passenger floor after primer and one coat of paint. Looks much better than it did before.

picture.php

I just like this photo. :D

picture.php

And the engine

picture.php

picture.php

yet again, god awful welding "skills" :rolleyes: I still have loads of work to do. the replacement rockers should be in tomorrow. Hopefully that can get done this week. Once all the bodywork and hole filling is done, while it won't look pretty it'll get me around in the snow and be a fun toy to own.

- Dave

Last edited:
You posted 'em all on DP, Dave... we can't see them unless we're logged-in over there.

LOL... that isn't gonna work out for some of us :D

You posted 'em all on DP, Dave... we can't see them unless we're logged-in over there.

LOL... that isn't gonna work out for some of us :D

*smacks self in head*):h

how bout now? uploaded to DTR.

Dave, they are there now. That is one over sized project you have there but when you get it done I am sure it will all be good. By the time you are done you can compare welds to see if you have improved at all. ):h

Dave, they are there now. That is one over sized project you have there but when you get it done I am sure it will all be good. By the time you are done you can compare welds to see if you have improved at all. ):h

I'm sure the welds will still look like crap. if they pass the hammer test then they are good enough for me. ):h

Slow and steady wins the race, and its looking good. Good luck finishing it. Oh, and I like that hood ornament too;

Attachments

• Hood ornament.jpg
    Hood ornament.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 9
Nice, Dave! You're making good progress on her!

Thanks for fixing the photos! (good pictures, too!)

Wouldn't it be easier to get a fiberglass replacement tub?

It would last forever... even in all that salt...

Wouldn't it be easier to get a fiberglass replacement tub?

It would last forever... even in all that salt...

As much as i'd love to do all fiberglass i can't afford it. The steel was free from work(I've got a pile of light 90* angles and good size flat pieces as well) and a buddy of mine gave me an 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of 1/16" galvanzied steel on top of that. All i'm putting into the body work is time and electricity for the welder.

I was debating getting a rust free body from down south, but how would i get it up here if i'm struggling to just put fuel in the truck. That's why i've made good progress on the truck. I'm only putting in 10 hours a week at my job, so i'm pretty much out of work more or less.

I was debating getting a rust free body from down south, but how would i get it up here if i'm struggling to just put fuel in the truck. That's why i've made good progress on the truck. I'm only putting in 10 hours a week at my job, so i'm pretty much out of work more or less.

I see...sorry to hear that...once we get some decent folk back in office maybe things will turn around for you...

I see...sorry to hear that...once we get some decent folk back in office maybe things will turn around for you...

I hope so Pepp. Put in a job app today for parks and rec for the next town over. I'll take anything i can get for work right now.

On the upside the work i'm doing on this truck is good practice. I'm glad i have the opportunity to save this truck from the crusher. As long as i own it, it'll keep getting patches and replacement parts. it'll never have the fate of the junkyard and then the crusher, especially with that almost new motor in it.

Just listen to how well it runs. It runs perfect, and after a good run on the street it should clean the cobwebs out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQT-yflF3VE

It does sound good...I have always had a place in my heart for the (real)older blazers up to the body style that you have included...

Runs sweet, Dave!

Gotta thank DieselPro for that Reman IP. :thumbsup: That made a world of difference. Here's before the Ip swap with the water damaged pump on the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLsD3JrXupQ

I still get a little bit of smoke when i rev it, but that's probably due to the umpteen year old heating oil that's mixed w/ fresh diesel in the tank. A few fresh tanks and a good run on the road to clean her out will really help.

It does sound good...I have always had a place in my heart for the (real)older blazers up to the body style that you have included...

I love the older K-5 fullsize blazers as well. There's just something about them that i've always liked. My buddy has a late 70s one with the fiberglass 1/2 top like mine. it's all rusted even worse than mine but he won't part with it, and i don't blame him. He just put a 355 in it maybe a year ago.

You should put the truck bed liner style paint on everything to help fight the rust in the future.

I am told it is cheap at wal-mart but, can not contest to it since I am no where near one.

Good job on the old blazer!:thumbsup:

Keep posting pictures they are fun to look at!

You should put the truck bed liner style paint on everything to help fight the rust in the future.

I am told it is cheap at wal-mart but, can not contest to it since I am no where near one.

Good job on the old blazer!:thumbsup:

Keep posting pictures they are fun to look at!

I"m planning on coating everything i can find with the bedliner. The floors will get bedliner inside the truck, and hopefully on the underside after i clean them up a bit. My friend is a manager at walmart so i'll have him buy the stuff after i give him the cash. Discount. ):h

I've seen the bedliner in spray paint style cans as well. Wonder how well it works?

Back