• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big 6.5 Test

Will my truck overheat towing ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure exactly what you mean but it will stay at 1100 as long as I keep my foot in it. If I back off from 60-65 to 50 it will drop to 950-1000 and of course once i crest the grade it drops back down below 600. I have the original V2 Maxitorque chip.

Once again Kenny why do you insist on Going 65 up the hill? Why not just go 45-50 where everything is happy?

I think you misunderstand. I'm giving these numbers of different speeds to show what's happening. I normally backed it to about 50 but even at that it was still too hot.

Transmission is your next choice in reducing overheating. Real time trans temp gauge on the outlet cooling line will tell you when the trans is overheating. There is a company that makes an inline temp probe. The probe is in the fluid path and gives instant temp swings as the transmission heats up. Probes in the transmission pan are not designed to give instant temp swings.
Use a cooler in parallel with the transmission cooler.

Transmission is your next choice in reducing overheating. Real time trans temp gauge on the outlet cooling line will tell you when the trans is overheating. There is a company that makes an inline temp probe. The probe is in the fluid path and gives instant temp swings as the transmission heats up. Probes in the transmission pan are not designed to give instant temp swings.
Use a cooler in parallel with the transmission cooler.
I actually have an autometer guage installed. I just didn't get a chance to drill the pan for the probbe yet. Trans temp readings I gave were from GMTDScan. I was giving me live data. I should add that speed is not always a factor. The temps will also climb at 30 mph if I'm climbing a steep grade locally. I think TCC lock mod and some sort of intercooler would probably bring the temps inline more but I took a deposit onthe camper today so I don't think she'll be towing for a long time if ever so I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Gonna start with the simple stuff on my 2000. Open the exhast up,Dmax fan and see where that goes.

I actually have an autometer guage installed. I just didn't get a chance to drill the pan for the probbe yet. Trans temp readings I gave were from GMTDScan. I was giving me live data. I should add that speed is not always a factor. The temps will also climb at 30 mph if I'm climbing a steep grade locally. I think TCC lock mod and some sort of intercooler would probably bring the temps inline more but I took a deposit onthe camper today so I don't think she'll be towing for a long time if ever so I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Gonna start with the simple stuff on my 2000. Open the exhast up,Dmax fan and see where that goes.

i hope you have better results with the 2000, keep us updated

My experience in pulling with my '99 is that with stock ecm it defuels before it over heats. Is that the case with others? It sucks, but at least your somewhat safe from big time overheating. I have a feeling now that I have 180 stats, a flushed coolant system and a washed out rad, a duramax upgrade would be all I need, if that.
Where can you get one? Does the OEM for an 01 or 02 bolt on?

My experience in pulling with my '99 is that with stock ecm it defuels before it over heats. Is that the case with others? It sucks, but at least your somewhat safe from big time overheating. I have a feeling now that I have 180 stats, a flushed coolant system and a washed out rad, a duramax upgrade would be all I need, if that.
Where can you get one? Does the OEM for an 01 or 02 bolt on?
Heath or Kennedy. I think I would try Kennedys.Kennedys kicks in a little sooner from what I'm told. I'm not certain the Heath one I have is not part of my problem I was planning on buying the Kennedy one and swapping it then if it didn't make a difference put that one on my 2000.

A little FYI on the Kennedy vs Heath, I ran a Kennedy for a few years, does kick in earlier and keeps things cool, but stays engaged longer as well (more drag/less mpg) I swapped to a Heath spin on with plastic fan kicks in sooner than OEM but kicks out more often than the Kennedy, on my scan tool every time a clutch kicks in with steel fan & retuned fan clutch you see 25 Hp load, with retuned & plastic that is about 15Hp, this is calculated by scan tool, so probably not actual Hp nuimber but it is a change I can gauge.

My truck has the big "nuts"):h I mean nut on the the fan clutch too. Does the heath part fit this style? I guess it probably would, as Doc has a later version truck. Am I correct?

Yes. Heaths has the big nut. I'm not knocking theres just was going to try something different. I just towed my machine two blocks away up a fairly steep grade with the 2000 and it hit 215 at 25-30 MPH. Rad and coolers were removed and steam cleaned last fall. Truck has not been used much. It was doing the same thing then also.

A little FYI on the Kennedy vs Heath, I ran a Kennedy for a few years, does kick in earlier and keeps things cool, but stays engaged longer as well (more drag/less mpg) I swapped to a Heath spin on with plastic fan kicks in sooner than OEM but kicks out more often than the Kennedy, on my scan tool every time a clutch kicks in with steel fan & retuned fan clutch you see 25 Hp load, with retuned & plastic that is about 15Hp, this is calculated by scan tool, so probably not actual Hp nuimber but it is a change I can gauge.

X2...Only time I don't hear it is in the winter.

Louis

I don't know what your issue is/was Kenny I just pulled 2200 miles round trip to Iowa & back enclosed 7x7x16 trailer with about 5000# in it max EGT 1100, and max H20 212F running 73 mph cruise & up 80 mph when passing, "green machine" never missed a lick, low turbo back pressure, IAT, & trans temps may be the difference

I don't know what your issue is/was Kenny I just pulled 2200 miles round trip to Iowa & back enclosed 7x7x16 trailer with about 5000# in it max EGT 1100, and max H20 212F running 73 mph cruise & up 80 mph when passing, "green machine" never missed a lick, low turbo back pressure, IAT, & trans temps may be the difference

What turbo you have in there now? hard to keep up with you

I'm not upset about spending the money on te cooling upgrades. The camper was sold for more reasons than just running hot. I don't give up that easily. TD remember your running an IC. I think looking at my snapshot that high IATs were a large contributor to high engine temps. That combined with EGTs from pushing 12-14 PSI of boost out of a GM4 may have been my issue. Truck had no lack of power at all. It ran up hills with the trailer effortlessly. Just ran hot. I have two 6.5 truck so it gets expensive trying to upgrade two of them. Really have tossed around selling the 2000 a few times and buying a CUCV but i do love the way my 2000 drives on road and A/C is nice. Trucks kinda whimpy off road though. CUCV would be better suited for firewood cutting. Probably just end up lifting the 2000 and making some HD skidplates. Can't buy a CUCV for what I paid for the 2000:D
Had a long talk with Bill Heath about his heating problem. He actually called me a week ago to follow up. He isn't sold on the GM4 EGT thing because he runs some of them but I'm kinda following TD's turbo upgrade with great interest.

Boy, TD drives all the way out to IOWA (Idiots Out Walking Around) - truck driver humor - and doesn't stop by to say hi...Oh well, sorry for the hi-jack. We now continue with the regularly scheduled broadcast...

Back