• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big 6.5 Test

Will my truck overheat towing ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Well my first actual post on the old site was about my Tahoe overheating when towing. After extensive back and forth with ideas and opinions I did alot of work to it since last summer. Well tommorow is the maiden voyage towing some real wieght and it's a gonna be hot. Here's my list:
Heath Severe Duty Cooling upgrade
Heath Maxi Tq V2
gutted Kitty
4 inch kitty back
Flowmaster DP and crossover
Heath Turbo Master running 12-14 PSI WOT(may cut that back a little)
Feed the beast(my own version)
Airbox cut open
F intake swap no more EGR
New Bosch Injectors
new Dtech on a sink in front bumper
Lube spec Oil lines and cooler
New Radiator
TDCO @ -1.94
So that said and lots of money later how you guys think she'll do ?
IWill my truck overheat towing this weekend ?

Last edited:
CT isn't really flat so i'm guessing he'll be hitting a few hills. just keep an eye on your gauges especially the coolant temp one. if engine temps start to rise your pushing it too hard. gotta find the sweet spot that the truck will tow at.

are those bosch injectors stock or H/O? H/O's might get you higher egt's

Stock injectors. Some hills when I hit Pocono mountains in PA. Camper which is 26 foot weighs approx 6600lbs loaded with goodies.
Just the Heath Cooling upgrade alone last year brought it from 235 degrees on the hills to 215 max 210 average on hills. Flat no problem 190. Only known issue still with the truk is the Inj Pulse width slightly higher than normal. running 1.95-2.01. Normal 1.88 No codes.Truck runs great.

Acesneights1,
You saw 235 on the hills!!!! I thought that anything above 210 was bad news for the 6.5.

I pulled a car a couple of weeks ago and saw 216 and was freaking out.

Someone please set me straight.

Well, if you have gauges, then I am betting you will be watching them and will be smart enough to back out of it if it gets too warm. So, will you overheat? I'm betting no. Will you have to slow down on the hills so that you don't overheat? Probably a little. 6600 isn't light, and if you are headed into the mountains, then you will be pushing it. With all of your upgrades, I think you will not be disappointed with the trucks performance.

Acesneights1,
You saw 235 on the hills!!!! I thought that anything above 210 was bad news for the 6.5.

I pulled a car a couple of weeks ago and saw 216 and was freaking out.

Someone please set me straight.

anything above 210 is not desirable and anything higher and you could say your pushing it a little bit. aces, 235 on the hills is really high, i'm guessing you didn't have the cooling mods then. i know loaded down w/ 4k in the bed(no trailer hitch installed yet) my EGTs were a little higher but the engine temp gauge didn't move off its normal spot and i've got dual 195 degree t-stats in the truck. 4K isn't a big load for these trucks however.

I don't see any indication that you cleaned the bugs out of your radiator so I voted yes for the overheating. This should be set up as a betting pool.

Yep, sweet spot is key. In my big pig when I had the 2.5 yard Sander in it, that full, and my 9' welded many times plow, which weighs at least 1000, not to mention is blocking the radiator ... It had a sweet spot on the hills at 2k or a tad under RPM in 3rd. This being 4.11 gears it was only 35-40 safe MPH for this cat...

I think driving heavy (As my truck always is), you can really feel any momentum shift request and I try to avoid it at all costs... At times I say to myself, I know I could go faster, but do i need to? Then I say, I wonder what my EGT's are, and my Boost... ANd my tranny Temps... Damn I need guages... Then I think about my exhaust i need too, and my oil cooler lines.... And my GPS.... Then I come home and wife leaves a stack of bills on the puter and I stop thinking about my rig till next morning :) Well, obvoisly not, as I'm here... and still want my truck parts...

Cool thing is I started a new gig where I work out of my truck and do alot of driving and making really good coin, so these parts will become super preventinve maiuntenance Items so they will happen really fast, exhaust, SS Oil cooler lines, posibly oil pan...won't be long :)

Back from my tangent now... what was the question???:nopity:

Well the verdict is in...Anybody selling a Duramax ?
Hit 227 on the hills. It was actually worse this time than last. Yes the rad and coolers were removed and cleaned. The rad is 1 yr old. I'm gonna post a snapshot later of the engine during running hot but I've got it down to two things. either the air is not getting past the a/c condensor or the IAT is too high and I'm looking at an intercooler setup. I took a snapshot withGMTDScan and at 227degrees Engine temp the IAT was 260 Trans was 190 and EGT pre turbo 1100. Sad part is the truck has no lack of power climbing the hills. It's run up long grades effortlessly. Just getting too hot. Got another issue to deal with now two. Will update another post with that one.

Well the verdict is in...Anybody selling a Duramax ?
Hit 227 on the hills. It was actually worse this time than last. Yes the rad and coolers were removed and cleaned. The rad is 1 yr old. I'm gonna post a snapshot later of the engine during running hot but I've got it down to two things. either the air is not getting past the a/c condensor or the IAT is too high and I'm looking at an intercooler setup. I took a snapshot withGMTDScan and at 227degrees Engine temp the IAT was 260 Trans was 190 and EGT pre turbo 1100. Sad part is the truck has no lack of power climbing the hills. It's run up long grades effortlessly. Just getting too hot. Got another issue to deal with now two. Will update another post with that one.

sorry about that man! 260 is awful hot and I would imagine that is causing alot of the issue. can you fab up a true cold air intake?

Back