• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big 6.5 Test

Will my truck overheat towing ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Boy, TD drives all the way out to IOWA (Idiots Out Walking Around) - truck driver humor - and doesn't stop by to say hi...Oh well, sorry for the hi-jack. We now continue with the regularly scheduled broadcast...

If you would have read the post in OT; meeting in Waterloo, I posted I was gonna be in the area, http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=2922 nobody responded so ifffin anybody has got a rite to be miffed it's meee :ihih:

That said our church has adopted the church up there we plan to make some more visits up thatta way, iffin I git to go I'll let ya'll know I'm up that way again.

Moving past the 95 and on to the 2000 I had to rush my son to the doctor about 15 miles away so I was pushing the truck a little harder than usual and it was running200-205 which not towing I thought was a little high. was running about 85 mph at 3000 rpms. Again not normal driving for me but it was an emergency. I think the place to start with this truck is a cat ectonmy. Does autoengiunity give IAT temps like GMTDscan ? From the sig you can saee the truck is stock. I actually had a flowmaster crossover but put the stock one back on temporarily because I had to get a new one from Flowmaster(argued with a large rock and lost). From what I remember reading my 2000 should already have the high flow water pump factory like the one I got from Heath for my 95 correct ? Of course obviuos has been done as far as thourough cleaning of coolers and rad. Rad is still original so I may replace/have it boiled.

Last edited:
Man, I have never heard of a truck like that overheating running empty. Even stock I could push my truck to that speed and the temp never climbs, even during our hot summers. My step dad had a 2000 dually and he never had a problem either. I hope you can figure it out. Seems strange that both truck act that way.
Good luck,
Mike

I believe it has 4:10 but i never checked. It's a K3500 s/a. 4x4. The water pump upgrade definitely helped the 95 but I think the 2000 has the better one factory no ? Also the 2000 has a GM8 turbo. When I pulled the rad last fall I tossed the dexcool and put lifetime in with waterwetter.

Yes the 97's and up have the High flow water pump and dual t-stats from factory.

AC could make temps rise. Mine will climb up to 200 sometimes when pushing it up hills empty. I don't have AC. (and thankfully so it seems) ITs not often, but on highways with long drawn out climbs it can get there. I only drive 50 or so I try to.

Aces, did you have to fix yiour ABS problem to get your 'cruise control experiment' to work? I have no desire to fix my ABS light issue, yet I know I could save money longrun with cruise set to 50.

Yeah I had updated that post on the old site. ABS had nothing to do with the cruise not working. It was an intermitent failure with the brake light switch which also controls cruise and TCC lockup. That was on the 95. The 2000 has factory installed cruise. Never had ABS problems with the 2000 YET....So I won't do anything with the waterpump etc. Start with having the rad boiled and open up the exhaust. Yes A/C was on and I was pushing the old girl pretty hard. I generally never run either of them over 2500RPMs but I thought my sons arm was broken so I wasn't worried about the truck at that point. Luckily it was something called nursemaids elbow. I actually accidentally fixed it trying to see if it was broken in the parking lot of the doctors office because he had stopped crying.

Back