• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best tires?

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos for the truck. A guy I know from another board I'm on has the D-rated 265/75R17 on his 04 Avalanche, and he loves them.

i've got a set of Mastercraft Courser CT's (265/75/16's) on my truck now. they've got 23K miles on them now and have about 10K miles left on them atleast. they are a fairly aggressive tread pattern on them, which i like for stuff around the farm. they're not noisy on the road and don't pick up a lot of rocks. i make a couple trips a month of 250+ miles round trip pulling my gooseneck and have been pretty impressed at how they've lasted.

Michelin AT 2

Just purchased a set two weeks ago, two sets prior were the LTX great mileage Down the road, when they get down there pulling the camper they will spin on grass and the stones at the various camp sites. The AT2's look like they will do the job off road will have to wait and see on mileage. we'll keep you posted......:thumbsup:

I agree i didn't get more than 25000 out of my BFGoodrich AT KO'S 245-75-16- 10plys. I guess its like people getting 20 mpg out of there Duramax, its where and how you drive.

Something to consider about the TA KOs, the 285/75-16 8 plys have a higher weight rating (3305#) than the stock sized 10 plys (3042) and have a deeper tread 17/32 vs 16/32. I have about 37 k miles on mine right now and that includes 2 or 3 serious burnouts, and they are now getting close to needing replaced.
These tires like a wider rim though, if the wheel is on the narrow side of the range for the tire, they seem to wear faster.
Also something interesting is the 8ply, D rated 285s are snowflake "severe snow service" rated while the E rated 10 ply in 285/75-16 is not due to a harder rubber compound.

I know, I guess I'm not just an oil geek, maybe tires too a little.

Something to consider about the TA KOs, the 285/75-16 8 plys have a higher weight rating (3305#) than the stock sized 10 plys (3042) and have a deeper tread 17/32 vs 16/32. I have about 37 k miles on mine right now and that includes 2 or 3 serious burnouts, and they are now getting close to needing replaced.
These tires like a wider rim though, if the wheel is on the narrow side of the range for the tire, they seem to wear faster.
Also something interesting is the 8ply, D rated 285s are snowflake "severe snow service" rated while the E rated 10 ply in 285/75-16 is not due to a harder rubber compound.

I know, I guess I'm not just an oil geek, maybe tires too a little.

This what I have found as well, and was trying to explain in post #10 of this thread as far as weight rating.

I just don't get it. All these guys getting lot's of miles with bfg a/t's and my 265/75/16-10plys only made it to 20k worst set of tires I have ever had. I could watch them wear. All this and I like bfg. I typically got over 40k out of my mud terrains. I have also got very good wear on commercial traction t/a's. I am looking for some new tires and thinking about the new michelin a/t 2's anyone else running them. These will be for the wifes truck, need quiet long lasting and good snow/ice traction.
Do you drive alot of gravel? The BFGs don't last that way at all...

Even though I occasionally tow pretty heavy but only about 25 miles at a time, 95% of my driving is rural or interstate driving so I stayed with the D range. RWL on them for one and I prefer that look on the stock PYO alloys. A guy I work with has had 2 sets of E range 265s (KOs) on his 2000 2500 and he drives like a nut on 10 miles of gravel every day. He gets about 20k out of them. I told him he should be honest with the tire store about how and where he drives and maybe they could help him out with a better tire next time...

We live on a tar road, but a lot of the land we hunt on is on gravel or minimum maintenance roads.

EDIT: Also, my dad is afraid of 285's, since that's what I had on my 98 Tahoe, and he says they're too wide. Idk what to do.

Those Revo's were really highly rated by Consumer Reports, if they weren't #1 in A/T tires, they were a close second.

I only had one set of Revos, on my wifes last truck, they started to chunk a little after about 6-8k miles. We soon after sold the truck, so my data sample was small. I won't be buying them again.

The LTX is an excellent on-road ONLY tire. They'll spin in wet grass as others have mentioned. They also pick up and throw stones from gravel roads like you won't believe. I've always had good luck with them, but will probably change the next time I'm due for tires. Have right at 20k on these now, so it'll be a while yet.

picture.php

all we run is the BFG all terrain, dad had 50k miles on the ones on the 2006 then he sold the truck and those tires were half tread yet

The LTX is an excellent on-road ONLY tire. They'll spin in wet grass as others have mentioned. They also pick up and throw stones from gravel roads like you won't believe. I've always had good luck with them, but will probably change the next time I'm due for tires. Have right at 20k on these now, so it'll be a while yet.
I agree, Michelin LTX are awesome highway tires. they are ok in snow, but I think the BFG AT beats them in snow and all around traction.

But as far as the highway, the LTX is the way to go.

I have the BFG AT's and absolutely love them.

Yeah, with the stuff we get into, off road-ability is a MUST. I've had that truck to the frame in mud and thrown it into 4Lo and revved her to 4500 RPM and pulled right out. That was cool, LOL.

the mastercraft courser c/t's are a good combo tire from what i've run. i've got 23K on these tires and they've got at least 10K left on them. lots of on road stuff, with the need for 4WD occasionlly. not bad for $650 mounted/balanced/out the door in 25 minutes.

Back