• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best tires?

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Ok, so the time has come for new tires on the truck. The toyos we have on there were good, but only lasted about 25k, but did everything well. What we need in a tire is something that is E load range rated, has good highway manners, quiet, rides well, yet has good off road capabilities, and won't get stuck easily. I know that's a tall order, and if no one can come up with anything better than the Toyos, those will be gotten again. But, I want to know if someone has found anything better. This truck gets used for towing over GCWR, hauling a 7500 lb horse trailer 100+ miles per trip, plus hunting, and an over all farm truck, so we need something that's versatile. Any suggestions?

I'm going with Michellin LTX M/S when I replace mine. Look pretty good and a tire shop I deliver to has one with 130,000 miles on it and it still could have gone for more and passed inspection.

I really don't like the BFG's. Which model, anyone have over 30k on a set? How about noise, and towing? I guess I've heard too much bad about them.

The BFG AT KO's are the one's I'm going to put on this truck pretty soon. I had them on my '06 Dmax and loved them. They were the E rated ones, and I like having the sercurity of knowing I have a 10 ply tire as I do haul a decent amount time to time and towing the camper we have as well. I had about 20k on them at the time I sold it and they looked brand new. There were quite a few of the little rubber tags that are on them when new that were still on them after 20k. Being on the pipeline, I am off road everyday, some days worse then others, and made it threw hell and back several times. I'm talking going 1/2 mile or more in nothing less then mud that was up to the middle of the wheels. When on road, very good road manners, and low noise for as agressive a tread it has. Have read plenty of reviews of the T/A KO's that have said they have had 60-80k on them.

Had the Cooper ATR's on our work trucks at the last company I worked for and they did a very solid job getting us out of some crap that we shouldn't have gone into in the first place. We got about 45k out of those. We had 1/2 ton trucks so they were D rated tires. Not sure if Cooper makes them in E rated, but I would have to think so. Have seen a few guys out on the line that are running the ATR's and really like them. A guy on my crew has them on his Jeep Grand Cherrokee and was unsure about them at first, but from what he has put them thru, he is a big fan of them now.

I love my BFG AT's. I tried a set of nitto's and they sucked. I get well over 30k on every set. If you go off road I would stay away from the straight treads like Mich. LTX. If you want mileage than go the LTX route but you have to sacrifice mileage for traction off road as a general rule. The secret to high miles is keep them rotated.
Also, I run the D rated BFG's. If you look on there website and look at the load ratingss in lbs. you will see depending on the size you may get away with a D rated tire. I pull a 10k camper and haul gravel from time to time and have never worried about it.
I read somewhere that 10 ply tires don't actully have 10 ply's and so forth. The tire companies still use that analagy from the bias ply years. The construction, size and air pressure determine the weight rating not the actual ply's in a tire. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just last week put a replacement set of BFG AT KOs on. Other set had 79k on them and were still in excellent shape with a good 1/4-3/8 tread left. I just didn't want to go through another winter with them. This is my 5th or 6th set of them on 4 different trucks. I wouldn't buy any other.

I'm just about ready to replace my second set of Cooper ATRs with another set. I'm running 265s load range E on my Dmax and get about 60-70K out of a set. Just had a set put on my Dad's 1500 this morning too.

i have the cooper atr's 50k mile tire, and i got 56k out of my first set. i am on my second set now.... great road manners, good off road manners too..and QUIET on the road

I'm going with Michellin LTX M/S when I replace mine. Look pretty good and a tire shop I deliver to has one with 130,000 miles on it and it still could have gone for more and passed inspection.
X2 on the LTX M/S. I just put them on my wife's 2500 suburban and they do all you have asked, but we really don't off-road it.

If you need extra off road capability maybe the Michelin LTX A/T 2.

Either way you will get more than 30K miles. Rotating will extend the life of tires.... just in case you didn't know :)
JP

We rotate the tires every other oil change. Now with amsoil it will be at 5k, then every 7-10k

EDIT: Looking at TireRack, the BFG A/T KO's are not rated for severe snow, and I don't like the tread pattern. I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. A buddy of mine has a set on an 04 Avalanche and he loves them.

Last edited:
I just got a set of nokian vatiiva tires. They look like they will be great as far as traction. I had toyo open country tires on before. The backs were slicks at 30k miles, but I hadn't rotated them in about 10-15k. These new tires handle just the same and are just as quiet. They are also a soft compound tire, like the toyo, so I may not get very far with these either. I was babying it with the toyos because they should have been replaced about 7500-10,000 miles ago. I ran them right into the next layer of rubber.

Well I don't know about the best or not,, but heres what I did.
Being on a tight budget,, I shoped all around my area for tires, Walmart had the best prices, ($613.00 out the door) So I had them install a set of Goodyear Tracker 2 tires. This is a tire made only for Wallyworld, So they can say they well goodyears cheaper then anyone else. I called to ask before I drove there if they had 4 10ply tires in 265/75/16. "yep,, computer says we have them" So I went up there at 9:30am on a Wend morn,, got right in and out in about 1hr. As they were pulling the truck out, I said, "those look a little soft,, How much air did you put in? Guy says 35psi!! Wow really, there should be atleast 50 in there, I glanced at the side wall and pointed,, see it says 50cold right there. Ok he aired them up, and Off I went. I got to thinking on the drive home,, Didn't my old tires run at like 60-80psi?? So once in my drive 10 miles later, I looked and then I seen on the sidewall. Load range C. Get on the phone and call them up, turns out all of there Load range E's in that brand and size,, have wrong stickers on them, and they were all C's, except for 2. I told them to get 2 more E's from another store, and get it sorted out. He calls me back an hour later, and said, "if you can come back up we will put another set on for you, there a better tire and we won't charge you the extra!"
So I ended up with a set of Uniroyal Liberator AT's they were $15. more per tire. Now I'm all set, they seem to work great plowing.
Then he told me that they will have to throw away the one's they just took off my truck!! Store policy. Also got a full service lube/fluids & oil change while there, for $41. 8qts of Rotella and fram filter.

I just don't get it. All these guys getting lot's of miles with bfg a/t's and my 265/75/16-10plys only made it to 20k worst set of tires I have ever had. I could watch them wear. All this and I like bfg. I typically got over 40k out of my mud terrains. I have also got very good wear on commercial traction t/a's. I am looking for some new tires and thinking about the new michelin a/t 2's anyone else running them. These will be for the wifes truck, need quiet long lasting and good snow/ice traction.

Back