• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

? Best After market Turbo

There are lots of options out there if you are willing to do some extra work. The ATT is a great choice as well since it is bolt on and go and is surely a big improvement. Personally, I recently installed an HE351VE Holset VGT of a 6.7 Cummins. NOT a bolt on, it takes a lot of work to do. I did it just to try something different, and it performs very well, although I won't see the full benefits until I get the fuel where it needs to be. With all the extra work in fabbing up the exhaust and custom intake, oil drain, and wategate system, I still have less $$ in it than buying an ATT, or even a reman or new GM turbo for that matter.

IMO, every turbo has its pros and cons and it all comes down to how you are going to use it, how much $$$ you wanna spend, and how much work you want to do.

When it comes to an aftermarket turbo FOR THE 6.5, there really only is one (as far as I know), and thats the ATT I wouldn't mind trying one at one point myself. Although I am very happy with the VGT so far.

? Best Turbo to get

Based on experience what is your opinion of the best Turbo to purchase, for quality, performance and easy change over etc? I will be using this on a new P-400 in a year.

Thank You
MDS

Not too many people out there that have tried many combinations. I have a HE351VGT, a GM8 and an ATT, but havent used the VGT. Looking at them its easy to see why the GM8 spools great, and works well on a low power output engine and bad on a high powered engine. Having a true VGT would be ideal, so I think if you get the vanes moving thats better than a wastegate and could be the best option, but its not a simple install. The HE351 is a large turbo so when those vanes are opened it flows. The ATT is also large and is the only bolt on kit offered and it does work really well. Other Holsets may work well, and if I was going to try any others it would be an HX40, which they make 35/40 hybrids that are T3 mount, and there are really cheap knockoffs, like the HX40WII.

So tested and proven, the ATT has worked great when hauling heavy loads and highway/interstate travel, or even if you just like going over 100mph.

This is another option.
bankspower.com/products/show/156/11

Non site vendor hot link disabled

Last edited by a moderator:
A VGT with a real time control that makes it work fully as a VGT is supposed to work would be best, I have VGT on my VW TDI and it works well,

I looked at an ATS Aurora turbo as a possibilty but got skeert off by the $$$ wanted for it.

Options out there are fab in a used turbo from another vehicle, new or reman OE, ATT, or "wildcat" your own concoction and associated risks while R&D-ing yourself; ATT thus far has been best "kitted" option for the 6.5

Here's another kit (I think it's a bolt-in kit, anyway): schoolcraftpowertrain.com/index_files/PowerFlowTurbocharger. Non site vendor hotlink disabled

It's more expensive than the ATT. Personally, I'm waivering back and forth between the ATT and the Schoolcraft.

Does anyone happen to have a compressor map for the ATT? What other ways can one compare one turbo to another? Specifically, is there a way to compare them other than "I have it and I like it"? Is a compressor map a good way to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt get that Powerflow, it cost twice as much just for the turbo assembly. Does that mean you dont get the downpipe elbow or the intake connection?

I think its an HX40 with the wheels and housings of their choosing. I wouldn't be too impressed with their custom modifications, anyone can buy these wheels and housings and put them together for less money. It might be an actual genuine Holset for the price, but you can get a knockoff for like $320 delivered, and have a 3" elbow made. They seem to justify the price with the details about assembling them.

I'm not saying its not a good turbo, but anything that can drive to 25psi on what I am assuming is normal Kennedy performance programming is not as good on the flow as the ATT. It probably spools a little faster though.

A relative newcomer to the 6.5 pulled off 300hp with a GMx, granted it wasnt made for pulling, but I'm just saying Schoolcraft is touting some 5 year old achievements on the site and 225hp. Kojos ATT dyno run had as much horsepower and torque as the claims on Schoolcrafts site.

The HX40 is of interest to me, but not for $1700+

i personally think a vgt turbo with a fully programmble eletronic controller would be the best all around turbo but the controller is expensive from fleece.

If the dyno day runs we're discussing are the ones Kane & Kojo posted a while back, the aftermarket turbos compared OK to a stock turbo w/ IC. There may well have been mitigating factors, but that day's dyno sheets showed differences btwn those setups; not a clear superiority. But differences in torque output at different rpms. And that day's peak hp producer was surprising to some.

Not trying to start an opinion war here. Just saying there's a limited amount of quantitative & independently reproduced data out there regarding power production from various turbo combinations that have been run on 6.5's. Some data is better than none. More data is better yet & how turbo experimenters w/ other engine platforms have evolved/improved their turbo options.

Another confounding factor is chassis dyno results aren't always that comparable. Particularly if they're not of the same type. Results from the same day & the same dyno are one of the reasonably cheap ways to compare.

It's more expensive than the ATT. Personally, I'm waivering back and forth between the ATT and the Schoolcraft.

Does anyone happen to have a compressor map for the ATT? What other ways can one compare one turbo to another? Specifically, is there a way to compare them other than "I have it and I like it"? Is a compressor map a good way to do this?[/QUOTE]

Once again I will tell everyone, If a purchaser is not happy with his or her A-Team Turbo we will make every effort to make it right or I buy it back. That simple, I don't know what more someone can do than that other than to give the turbo away. I realize that you think you are taking a risk but there are plenty of owners out there to ask before you purchase a turbo.

I'm not saying its not a good turbo, but anything that can drive to 25psi on what I am assuming is normal Kennedy performance programming is not as good on the flow as the ATT. It probably spools a little faster though.

Thanks for the help, Buddy. Can you expand on that statement, please? I realize PSI isn't everything, but what if I could find a turbo that could flow higher PSI's and good flow (with a built, 18:1). I thought (admittedly without knowing a whole bunch) that the Powerflow did that. Ultimately, I'm looking for strong towing performance.

Do you feel compressor maps a good way (objectively) to compare one turbo to another?

To the original poster: I hope I'm not hijacking too much and that you are getting something out of this thread, as well.

Once again I will tell everyone, If a purchaser is not happy with his or her A-Team Turbo we will make every effort to make it right or I buy it back. That simple, I don't know what more someone can do than that other than to give the turbo away. I realize that you think you are taking a risk but there are plenty of owners out there to ask before you purchase a turbo.

Thanks for helping out with these questions, Slim. And, please don't take any of my questions to mean I'm not aware of the many people who are successfully using the ATT. Nor would I want you to think I don't appreciate the time and effort you've put into developing this. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new turbo, but unfortunately I have to make a decision without being able to objectively compare them side by side. Your statement of offering to make things right or buy it back is certainly beyond fair. But, I would feel reluctant to buy it simply to "try it". I wouldn't want to inconvenience someone like that.

Is there a way to objectively compare turbos "on paper"? Are the compressor maps good for that? Anything else?

I have another question (regarding 18:1 engines), but I don't want to bog this thread down with too much stuff about 18:1. I'll PM you, if you don't mind.

Thanks again!
"Another" Dennis:)

Back