• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Benefits of GooseNeck Trailer

I love goose necks. Easier to maneuver, they tow better, holds the weight better, the truck handles better. The only way to go IMO :thumbsup:

I agree to you! I also love gooseneck trailers. Gooseneck trailers have numerous benefits. You might need one to carry your belongings across the nation while moving or going on vacation, or you may need one to haul your team’s racecar to or motocross bike to the track. These trailers are great for hauling a variety of load capacities.

Also, what do you guys do to protect the wood bed? I've always slapped on a coat of oil based black paint every 2 years. Recently, someone said to use linseed oil instead.

Now I use Boiled Linseed oil on my wood handle tools after people advised it. There are wood preservative products like Brown's Wood Preservative. I think they are a bit better than paint as they soak into the wood deeper (at least if the wood is weathered and has lots of cracks/imperfections). But oil based exterior paint ought to be good. I don't like stain too much but I used Cabot's Austailian Timber Oil on my kids play set and seems like a pretty good product (its a mix of several wood oils).

Now I use Boiled Linseed oil on my wood handle tools after people advised it. There are wood preservative products like Brown's Wood Preservative. I think they are a bit better than paint as they soak into the wood deeper (at least if the wood is weathered and has lots of cracks/imperfections). But oil based exterior paint ought to be good. I don't like stain too much but I used Cabot's Austailian Timber Oil on my kids play set and seems like a pretty good product (its a mix of several wood oils).
Used motor oil is a good wood preservative at a great price. Works equally well on fence boards and posts, farm equipment, trailer decks...etc.

maybe that is why there are 5 spares on the front of the GN?:dunno:

5 spares because the previous owner was using it to haul the gravel handling contraption behind it for a business. It's quite obvious he basically would go as far as he could on tires since the 2 spares that are gone were gone gone worn the hell out. 3 of 5 spares are good and the rims are good for the other spares anyway.

It's rated at 16999 lbs according to the title, 3500 lbs curb. 7k rating on the Axles and they're straight, everything else works and it'll easily haul the around 8k on it I need (CUCV blazer and trailer plus household goods).

Can't really complain too much for $3,500, anyways. Planning on getting stake pockets welded on the sides plus some more D rings for chaining and strapping stuff as necessary, then building sides for if/when I want to carry stuff "loose" like firewood, etc. It'll be nice having a larger trailer to do things when the 8' pickup bed trailer and 6' bed of my silverado ain't enough.

2005 26ft PJ GN Carhauler auction project

View attachment 37763View attachment 37764View attachment 37765View attachment 37766

Thought I'd post a few pics of a GN trailer project I picked up, that had been an insurance fire loss. Spent last summer rebuilding; took a little more time than expected (my projects tend to go that way). But wound up with a trailer that I've got a bit less than typical used cost in, but all the components that give trouble when you buy a used trailer, were fixed the way an owner would have built it themself. Heavier, shielded wiring, way better paint, deck made from lumber rough cut out of creosote utility poles - then sealed with thinned, used diesel engine oil. New LED lights, conspicuity tape, bearings, seals, wheels, tires, etc.

I did paint & reinstall the spring-assist ramps. Paint wasn't dry yet when the "after" pics were taken.

Before - 2005 PJ 26ft GN Carhauler pic1.jpgAfter - 26ft PJ GN Carhauler - superwide 1.jpgBefore - 2005 PJ 26ft GN Carhauler pic2.jpgAfter - 26ft PJ GN Carhauler - superwide 2.jpg

Thought I'd post a few pics of a GN trailer project I picked up, that had been an insurance fire loss. Spent last summer rebuilding; took a little more time than expected (my projects tend to go that way). But wound up with a trailer that I've got a bit less than typical used cost in, but all the components that give trouble when you buy a used trailer, were fixed the way an owner would have built it themself. Heavier, shielded wiring, way better paint, deck made from lumber rough cut out of creosote utility poles - then sealed with thinned, used diesel engine oil. New LED lights, conspicuity tape, bearings, seals, wheels, tires, etc.

I did paint & reinstall the spring-assist ramps. Paint wasn't dry yet when the "after" pics were taken.

2nd try got the pics inline with post.

Back