• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Benefits of GooseNeck Trailer

Just curious but why is the smaller trailer more of a pain?
The little one is harder because the tires stick out past the deck and it makes it take up the whole lane. You have to make sure you're exactly in the middle at all times$

The little one is wider by just the tires and fenders being outside the deck. So its noth worth having except for when you pull 4wheelers or somthing.

bringing and old thread back to life.

I bit the bullet today and bought my first gooseneck.

It is a 2009 Heartland trailer. Rated for 14k, tandem axle, each for 7kw (I crawled under there and checked). The deck is 7' wide and 30', including an 18" dovetail. It comes with ramps, a spare and all LED lighting.

For being a 2009, the paint looks bad...guess they used cheap paint. I do plan on putting a coat of two of oil based black paint on the bed to help protect it from the elements.

Now to get a hitch for my truck so I can pull this beast. :)

Attachments

• IMG_7009.jpg
    IMG_7009.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7008.JPG
    IMG_7008.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7015.jpg
    IMG_7015.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7020.JPG
    IMG_7020.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7026.jpg
    IMG_7026.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7010.jpg
    IMG_7010.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7017.JPG
    IMG_7017.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7025.JPG
    IMG_7025.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Nice trailer but yeah, looks like the crappy paint prep done on my Interstate. More rust than paint on the damn thing. And they had all this talk about paint quality before I bought it... Yeah right!

I forsee a wire brush wheel on a drill and oil based paint in my future...gallons of it :)

That's how I did one of my trailers last summer. Wear safety goggles, I found out the hard way... :D

So I want to deck it out with some LED lights....I am not sure how far apart to put them, thinking maybe every 3'? That'd be 10 per side.

Then up top, on the gooseneck "V" I want to put some up there, not sure how many or where.

I also want to build a "storage" area inside the "V"...thinking of using wire mesh, then welding up a bracket to keep the spare tire there.

Also, what do you guys do to protect the wood bed? I've always slapped on a coat of oil based black paint every 2 years. Recently, someone said to use linseed oil instead.

So I want to deck it out with some LED lights....I am not sure how far apart to put them, thinking maybe every 3'? That'd be 10 per side.

Then up top, on the gooseneck "V" I want to put some up there, not sure how many or where.

I also want to build a "storage" area inside the "V"...thinking of using wire mesh, then welding up a bracket to keep the spare tire there.

What do they charge for 2" and 2 1/2" LED's? I was going to pick some up today for a flat deck I'm building for a customer. I can get 7 regular lights for 1 LED:eek:

He's not getting LED's:D

I was going to put these on. I bought some several years ago and put them on my 26' trailer and they've held up well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ambe...itemZ360146155250QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

I thought about 2" round ones, but that is a lot of holesaw drilling and I wasnt sure how many holesaw bits I'd go thru to get the job done.

Also, I want to add a second set of oval lights to the back....not sure how to get the holes in for them.....maybe I drill two round holes, then use a sawzall to connect the two, making an oval shape for the taillight.

What I use to cut the holes is a plasma torch, before I had that an Oxy/A torch. Then clean up with a cone stone on an angle grinder. For the oval hole I bought an oval bracket for lights and use it for the template, then I cut it with the plasma.

what Leo said. thats what i used when i cut the holes in my headache rack on my pickup. came out mint! the lights came with a template too, so that helped. they fit nice and tight

For wood care any type of oil helps... used motor oil is great when brushed in with a wire brush, but it can make a mess. We had 5 or 6 gallons of PWC two-stroke mineral oil and that worked really well too.

I am about to go from a bumper pull enclosed 16 ft 10k trailer to a 28ft (including gooseneck)enclosed 14k gooseneck. With the bumper pull you can feel every little bump in the road and I-20 in Miss and La nearly killed me loaded with 7k of carpet this week. I like not having to worry as much about pin weight with a gooseneck. Now to just find one.

Last edited:
Back