• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Benefits of GooseNeck Trailer

Drew

<font color=blue>Capa'n</font>
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my 26' flat bed trailer with a heavier duty trailer.

I dont want anything shorter as sometimes 26' isnt long enough and I have never seen a bumper pull trailer longer than 20' for sale anywhere.

What are the pros and cons of a GN trailer?

My truck has the bed cover on 95% of the time, so I imagine that could pose a problem f or me.

I use this trailer to haul my tractor and sometimes extra implements. I have overloaded it as the dove tail is somewhat bent now.

I dont think I want a deck over wheels as then all my loads are too high.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 71
I love goose necks. Easier to maneuver, they tow better, holds the weight better, the truck handles better. The only way to go IMO :thumbsup:

I love goose necks. Easier to maneuver, they tow better, holds the weight better, the truck handles better. The only way to go IMO :thumbsup:

How would you compare a goose neck to a fifthwheel. Would the 5'r be a better choice in a deckover due to it's higher center of gravity? Not trying to be smart, I was just wondering.

negatives-
shortbed you have to be careful with some trailers.
$350 +/- for a B&W.
Everyone will want to borrow it.
Everyone that borrows it will abuse the hell out of it.
Expensive to register
there heavy

that all said I'd rather tow a load with a gooseneck over a bumper pull any day.

I have my 35' LoadMAx and my home built 30 foot tri axle bumper pull. There is a very big differnece in handling, and carring capacity. Both will get the job done. but the gooseneck I don't have to worry about waggin my trailers tail all over the highway with the big weight.

This is what I use. It's the first dual tandem that I have owned, there is no comparison between the stability of dual wheels as opposed to single's. I would only go with a deck over wheels, otherwise you give up to much capacity.

picture.php
picture.php

That's one NICE trailer there Brian!
If I had needed any bigger than my 18' tag along I would have bought a GN for the better handling and turn ability. Of course I already needed longer right away...;) Longer trailer that is...

This is what I use. It's the first dual tandem that I have owned, there is no comparison between the stability of dual wheels as opposed to single's. I would only go with a deck over wheels, otherwise you give up to much capacity.

I was wondering that, I was thinking my next trailer will be a tri-axle as opposed to the dual tandem, same weight rating, less tires to replace, and the rolling resistance, with tandem duals was more than I thought it'd be. I'd like to try a tri-axle out, but thinking about it another tandem dual is prolly a better idea.

Might have to do with just pulling with a GM as opposed to a Super Duty or Ram, thats the only down fall I really feel there is, those big trailers really seem to kick the shit out of GM's that 1000lb-1500lb weight difference sure seems to make a big difference when I'm pulling a trailer. I've pulled the exact same load with my uncles F-250 6.0 and my Duramax with a pretty decent tune, getting the load going, hands down the D-max, but as far and getting thrown around by the trailer and stoping, without the Allison's braking features, I wouldnt be too comfortable towing with a GM at least on a dialy basis

Last edited:
I always tought I would prefer a tri-axle to tndm duals.......but after pulling our company's tr-axle trailer for a few months I would def go with the duals....having that 3rd axle when you turn the corners really scuffs some tred off the front axle....just make sure when you get a trl with tndm duals that they are forward enough on the trailer so that all the weight isn't on the tounge of the trailer

I pull a tri-axle GN and prefer it over the tandem duals I have hauled. Trailer frame sits wider and seems more stable when loading equipment etc. I find it easier to pull thru the field with a load of hay as well.

IMO, a GN handles rough terrain better than a 5th wheel unless you go with a multi-directional 5th wheel hitch.

Check my photo albums and you will see our trailers. i like them both very much. but the capacity and stability of the GN tandem dual is unbeatable.

I pull a tri-axle GN and prefer it over the tandem duals I have hauled. Trailer frame sits wider and seems more stable when loading equipment etc. I find it easier to pull thru the field with a load of hay as well.

IMO, a GN handles rough terrain better than a 5th wheel unless you go with a multi-directional 5th wheel hitch.

I've heard the same about GN vs 5th - as far as rough terrain and grades. My parent's driveway is so steep, and with a near 90 degree half way up that a bumper hitch trailer with a dove-tail usually scrapes somewhere. I got the impression from browsing different sites, that with a 5th wheel I'd have a difficult time making it up the the driveway - whereas with a GN hitch it is a lot more maneuverable over different grades and terrain. I can't think of the last time I saw a farmer or contractor that wasn't using a GN.

Also - I don't know about tri-axle trailers, but my father (and not that I always agree with his opinions) said that dual tires on the trailer created more drag - which in doing research for tires for the truck - it seems to be the underlying them that if you go with tall and skinny (spreading out weight length wise) creates less drag and still offers the same as a wider footprint (such as with wide tires = duals on the trailer). But none of this comes from experience (because experience typically speaks louder than research) - so what do I know?? haha

I bought my goose neck trailer to drag my skid loader and attachments from Sioux City to my farm near Abilene, Kansas, about 300 miles. The goose neck trailer puts the weight directly over the axle, rather than on the back end of the truck. This keeps the front end from becoming light and unstable such as when a bumper type trailer is used. I think it's a lot better rig for a long distance pull.

My trailer has two 7,000 pound axles, but GVWR is under 10,000 lb, actually around 9,800 lb. The really nice trailer bighawg has with the dual wheels and tandem axles probably has a gvwr of 20,000 pounds or maybe more, and is capable of hauling loads like the tractor and baler. Keep in mind, if total gvwr of truck and trailer exceeds 27,000 lb (I think that's the right number), it forces the driver to have a class A license. Also, if you're more than 100 miles from home with a load exceeding 15,000 lb, you have to get a usdot number, then get truck and trailer inspected every year. The number is obtained by filling out a form on the usdot web site. I've been paying about $100 per year for truck and trailer inspection, and they put a sticker on each.

Bottom line, lots of hassle pulling heavy trailers across state lines.

What did you end up getting?

The exception to the rules that you stated is if it is for farm use. The driver doesn't need a CDL, and the truck doesn't need a DOT, but it must not exceed factory ratings. And IIRC it's 26,000 lbs. I'm 18 and don't have a CDL and if my dad owned a semi for the farm I could hop in it and haul corn or whatever, since's it's registered as a farm vehicle, and I'm his son.

if "Not For Hire" is on the trailer, and possably the truck, no DOT numbers are needed, and a log book is not required. but if you do exceed 26,000 GVW, you do 100% need a Class A CDL. (exception: farm owned and operated vehicle, as Ed has stated)

(i am 98% certain about these remarks. :D)

something i would like to see, and i will make someday, is a spread axle GN. two tandem dually axles, but spread, like on some semi-trailers. it would take extra wiring, both on the truck, and trailer, if the trailer has reverse lights, and some way to have on-board air on the trailer, or on the truck, and connected to the trailer. i would like to build a GN with the spread axle, and full air ride suspension,that way you can pick up the forward axle when making turns, and not damaging the axles too badly

l_517b49aa9e4a54438b43196dc94f38b2.jpg

Go with a gooseneck.. 5th wheels are just for campers and car haulers. No reason for one to be a 5th wheel. A tri-axle will eat through some tires compared to dual tandems. Your load won't be too high for a deckover either. They are also easier to pull because the tires are right behind your truck tires instead of sticking out of the lane.
demco-1.jpg

We have one that isnt deck over and its a pain to pull compared to the other one.
PIC-0057.jpg

Back