• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery - Largest Cranking Amps

Dave01

Reaction score
I've got a pair of 770 cca batteries now, I plan to put a new set in before winter. What is the highest cca rated battery that is made in the 34/78 size to fit the stock trays?

I went with the Diehard Platinum P4's. They're rated at 880 CCA's, 135 min reserve.

They were quite expensive at ~$ 180/ea. So probably not the best value/$.

They've been at the top of Consumer Reports battery performance testing results (by a considerable margin) for several years now. I like the idea of seeing some independent testing data on CCA's/performance. Over the years, their testing seems to show considerable variability btwn rating & what they measure. Also seems to show variability of the same brandnames year to year.

I saw the Diehard Platinums, I've always liked Diehard batteries so I looked there first. The reviews right on Sears web site were really negative, a bunch of people said the side terminals were poorly made and came loose. Based on that and the high price I decided to look elsewhere.

I looked at Autozone's site for the Duralasts. I see ones with 800 cca, 1000 cranking amps. TD and Pack, are yours 1000 cca in the 78 size?

I saw the Diehard Platinums, I've always liked Diehard batteries so I looked there first. The reviews right on Sears web site were really negative, a bunch of people said the side terminals were poorly made and came loose. Based on that and the high price I decided to look elsewhere.

The reviews are correct about the side terminals. They don't come thru the case, but instead are a strap (external to the case) that comes down from the top posts. Since the side terminal isn't "anchored" in the case, but instead essentially on a 2-3" lever arm, torquing down the side terminal wants to twist that 2-3" arm.

The battery performance seems good, but hasn't really been challenged that much 'til this coming Winter. I chose these batteries because they've consistently out-performed the next best competitor - the Optima red tops. When the Optima's first came out, I rarely heard anything but positive comments. In the past 2-3 years, I hear of failures more often.

I made 1-0 gauge batt cables with top post terminals. With my 18:1 engine, I wanted to enhance the starting system to help compensate for the 18:1 engine having a little less heat in the chamber to fire off in the winter.

With the dual terminal battery, this leaves the side terminals available for a clean way of connecting other stuff, like stereo amp power feeds.

FWIW I have heard that the more cranking amps, the more plates, the less longevity and durability a battery will have. Can't have it all.

Dave yes at autozone website p/n DLG-78 is 800-CCA/1000 cranking amp 8 yr prorated warranty, with 3 yr full replacement,

That is the one I have. It has been almost 3 years now. Most batteries will last about 4 years on the average. Some a little more depending on the geography. In TX with the summer heat, batteries tend to last about 4 years, usually failed in the summer like in my camry with Duralast Professional.

I used die easy golds. No issues. I use them in the big trucks as well. I had just the opposite with interstates. Always bad luck. I have two in the shed from my Tahoe that were 2 yrs old and won't hold a charge.

The Interstate MTP-78 you linked is 800 cca, 1000 ca. Seems like 800 cca is most I can find outside of the Diehards.

The Interstate MTP-78 you linked is 800 cca, 1000 ca. Seems like 800 cca is most I can find outside of the Diehards.

The exact batteries I have going into their 5th year of trouble free service.

Highly recommended. Fast cranks all the time in any weather. Started up 8df unplugged on 7 cylinders last year, when batts were already 4 years old.

Like I said before, the more CCA you get, the less longevity you will end up getting out of the batteries. Something to do with the number of plates effecting durability and longevity.

Another vote for the Autozone Duralast 1000 CCA batteries. The yellow color makes them last longer...:smile5:

Like I said in an earlier post, and Doc confirmed, the Duralasts are 800 cca, not 1000. If you know of a part number for a 1000 cca version I'd love to have it!

Matt, I hadn't heard that before about less life with more cca. I want the power for cold starts so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Like I said in an earlier post, and Doc confirmed, the Duralasts are 800 cca, not 1000. If you know of a part number for a 1000 cca version I'd love to have it!

Matt, I hadn't heard that before about less life with more cca. I want the power for cold starts so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

They might be 1000 CA, my 800 CCA batteries are 1000 CA.

Back