• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BATTERIES????

Reaction score
Update on the "Square filter of doom" problem. Found out it was my lift pump. The old one would not even "buzz", just would sit there and get really hot. Purchased a new one (framemount) tested it before install and it almost shook out of my hand. On to a new problem...batteries. The redtop "Opti-crap" have left me stranded twice now. They just do not seem to have enough spine to spin the 6.2 diesel the required revolutions to fire it off. Any suggestion on group/size/cca for this engine anyone?:mad2:

First make sure all grounds and cable connections are clean. The cables can also corrode internally with age. A jump up in cable size also helps starting.

I like batteries with 850-1000 cca. Brand of your choice.

Check all the cables and connectors. Load test the batteries one at a time.

I have been having good experience with Duralast Gold out of AutoZone.

Of course, they are mostly made by the same company.

Is the Optima still under warranty??

The zone advance napa wallyworld just about anywhere that sells batts.

I went with wally world for the warranty, and had to use it , but 3yr. free replacement was best I could find for what I paid. $100.00 a batt. was what I paid for 1000cca.

Yep a no brainer and no paper work and no hassle policy. Test and replace and on my way.

I hate wallyworld but they are everywhere and if I need a batt I'm never that far from one.

And when I'm towing the camper their parking lot is big enough so I don't have to un-hook to have them check it out.

Convience is the reason they got my buisness, Try pullin in to the zone or other parts store with a camper behind you if need be.

You have an excellent point about the china-mart. Do you remember what the group/size or name of the battery you bought? Although, I bought my two "Opti-craps" at advance auto parts under a commercial account. They may only want to do a swap for the bad to new. Not sure?

Duralast Golds from AZ what I run in both my 6.5s, and in my TDI as well now, 3 years no pro-rate followed by another 4 with pro-rate has been what I've been running since 2000, as was said all USA Batts regardless who's label on outside mfd by same 2 -3 companies now, so shop for the price vs warranty.

AZ last time I looked had better warranty than Wal-mart, AZ everywhere also, when one of mine died in the K1500 there was enough warranty in the pair that I only had to pay for part of 1.

IMO the key to buying/replacing is to buy/replace with same mfg date group as paired batts of different dates my experience don't last same as if replacing the set, the weaker battery works the strong so every other year one batty is being replaced,sort of like 1 sulphated cell in a single battery shortening the life of the rest of the cells.

Many years of watching/participating in this & other forums guys who just replace 1 battery seen to have continuing battery issues, I won't mention any names of folks who have called me saying yup you were right TD I finally replaced em both & now after replacing both I'm starting/running better.

^^^Same warranty as wallyworld,^^^ and they replaced weak battery as well as bad one because he agreed that It would take out the new.

He just tested the bad one twice so as to give me two without hassle from manager.

You are right on the replace with same group and type at same time to help longevity.

Look for the best warranty, as there are only two companies that make all brands of batts.

It only comes down to price and warranty IMHO.

Theres a few more than just 2, but 2 companies do make the majority of all car batteries. AZ, wally world, and I ADVANCE all use JOHNSON CONTROLS batteries. CARQUEST uses DEKA which I feel is a better quality battery, and I believe NAPA uses DEKA as well. SEARS is a roll of the dice as they use some of everybody. There PLATINUM line is a AGM top of the line battery(can't remember who makes it right now, but I want to say it was ODYSEY). Interstae still makes there own labeled batteries, but they also make some lower level batteries sold under other labels, OTIMA makes there own but have gone to crap since they were bought out about 4 years ago(if you notice they slashed there warranty to only 2 years now with no pro rate), ODYSEU makes there own batteries, and DEKA also sells under there own name. AZ used to use DEKA, but switched to JOHNSON CONTROLS about 5 years ago. I have them in my BURB now, but am NOT impressed with them anymore and wish I would have gone with the CARQUEST labeled batteries instead as the DURACRAP's are leaking acid and corrdoding my trays.

Who makes the batteries for O'Reilly Auto Parts?

That is who I have in my truck right know. They seem to be doing well but, I need new battery cables.

Back