• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aux fuel tank install

I haven't gotten over 10.5 on gas but I haven't adjusted for tire size.

W/ 0.50 off in taxes I'm at 1.18. I pay 1.68 at the pump. 1.88 for home fuel.
Source Unknown

My dang timer isn't working! It pops the fuse each time I turn the activate my relay directly with a switch until I get it figured out. :nonod:

One issue you may run into with this style system is many times the PCM will freak out when it sees the fuel level increasing while running, and when it does the gauge will go to empty as a safety measure. not all do this, but many have run into this with diesels. The cure is to go to a dual tank operating system and hook it up like factory. GM offered dual tanks in all 3500 cab and chassis trucks, as well as 2500 SUBURBANS from 01+. So you could set it up so that your fuel gauge would read total for both tanks and let the PCM control your transfer pump.

One issue you may run into with this style system is many times the PCM will freak out when it sees the fuel level increasing while running, and when it does the gauge will go to empty as a safety measure. not all do this, but many have run into this with diesels. The cure is to go to a dual tank operating system and hook it up like factory. GM offered dual tanks in all 3500 cab and chassis trucks, as well as 2500 SUBURBANS from 01+. So you could set it up so that your fuel gauge would read total for both tanks and let the PCM control your transfer pump.

Where can I find more info on how to do this?

My 03 does this running on propane. Once it sees the gas not moving it goes to E after ~30 miles.

Where can I find more info on how to do this?

It's done in the tuning. I know I have done it with EFILIVE where I have made custom tunes that run dual tanks for the DURABURB swaps. A custom tune is pretty much your only option to keep all of your factory accessories working.

MPG Update

Got back from TX Monday morning around 2am. Just finished MPG calcs.
2000 mile trip average = 12.7mpg --> 13.7 with tire size correction using GPS speed/miles.
Highway miles only fillups = 13mpg -->14mpg corrected.
I was running 'with traffic' not the slower ones.... :)
I am curious what I could do with highway tread. I am running 285-70-17 8-ply BFG AT KO tires.

1500HD IN KILGORE CROP.jpg

What kind of top end speeds were you doing? Next time try and set the cruise at about 63-65 mph and see how you do.

What are the calculations that you are doing to correct for tire size? The stock OEM 245x75x16 tire measures 31.5 inches around. What does the 285-70-17 8-ply BFG AT KO tire measure out at? Just curious, as I feel that the MPG's are on the low end of the spectrum.

On edit, I just remembered that this is for a 6.0 liter gasser. Not bad I guess. If it were a diesel, you would have experienced about 5-7 mpg more.

I was running 70 - 85 for most of the trip, based on traffic. ;) The 285-70-17 is basically at 33" tire based on specs, I have not measured it. But, I am basing my corrections on my speedo being about 8% off from the GPS. So when running 75 on the speedo the GPS reads 81-82. I don't know how far it was off before the tire change...
I do know that my 6.5 Burb didn't like running more than 70mph or the mileage would be as bad as the 6.0L gasser. And, it sounded like it was going to fly apart. :eek:
This truck is happier the faster I run..;)

Get this. I plumbed and wired everything up for the aux tank (pics are coming). Then I couldn't get the pump to prime. Frustrated and out of time, I had to wait until in TX and I added a pump bulb at the top of the tank, thinking that I could help prime it that way, and that didn't work. So, I pulled the gauge and cap, used an inspection mirror and flashlight, and found that they had not installed the suction tube! I was furious! :mad2: The literature for the tank says that it comes with it installed. So I had assumed it was inside. :WTF:
So, after I got home I had to call the store; and after some back and forth, the manager says that that the manufacturer says that that model doesn't come with a suction tube but I can order direct if I want.... You know that went well.. Rrrright. Needless to say, the are ordering me a suction tube & fitting and having it sent directly to me. Dang.

I was running 70 - 85 for most of the trip, based on traffic. ;) The 285-70-17 is basically at 33" tire based on specs, I have not measured it. But, I am basing my corrections on my speedo being about 8% off from the GPS. So when running 75 on the speedo the GPS reads 81-82. I don't know how far it was off before the tire change...
I do know that my 6.5 Burb didn't like running more than 70mph or the mileage would be as bad as the 6.0L gasser. And, it sounded like it was going to fly apart. :eek:
This truck is happier the faster I run..;)

We typically cruise 55-62mph uncorrected, MPG is pretty consistant. I ran 75-80 back from houston and got ~9.8, my truck doesnt care what speed I run its made up its mind what mpg it will get.

@72 MPH in my 06 LBZ I get 12mpg.

My 01 burb 6.0 gasser (2500hd 4wd stock tire size all terrain pattern) gets 13.5 normally. 14 on road trips. My
Wife and I drive it like a bat outa hell. Oil changes at 10,000 miles. Road hard put away wet, always. The fleets that run them here that I know of get the same mileage.

Tanner, maybe you're too easy on them? Beat it harder and see if it improves?:dunno:

I had an 02 Chevy 5spd 2wd reg 2500 6.0 that I regularly got 14-15 mpg empty and I have a heavy right boot. When I would pull a trailer she got 10-11 mpg. Working her with a load in the box and no trailer 12-13 mpg. Owned her 4 +yrs and 65,000 miles and she was always consistent.

Yeah. Well, I did have a lot of crap in the bed of the truck. The shell was packed pretty tight. Tools, luggage, coolers, supplies for family, bicycles, etc. Dropped off some stuff in TX then ended up bringing a treadmill back, so load may have got slightly more for the return trip. Cab was of course loaded for the family trip. We have two boys.
Long story short, we were not running empty. I also have a heavy right foot, especially traveling. :thumbsup:
Overall, I am happy with the performance of the truck.

Back