• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aux fan temp switches

millsroger

Reaction score
Where did GM put the temp switches for the aux fans?? I got two, one on passenger side runs with the AC and OK, other runs with a temp switch, never comes on. Where is it??

No 6.5 that I am aware of came factory with an electric fan. It was an option on 454's for A/C improvement and stop and go cooling, but not on a diesel. Sounds like they are aftermarket add ons to me.

Truck shows RPO code V05 HD Radiator, V08 HD Cooling System, V12 Aux PS cooling, V14 Aux Trans cooling, V16 Aux Engine oil cooling. Might be part of one or another of these. I do know that the trans cooling lines do NOT go into radiator and the core is 3" thick.

Got a WTA intercooler on the way and will pull the grille then and do pics.

Normally those are 3 independent heat exchangers air over fins/tubes only no aux electrical fans to move the air, problem with GMs thinking on them they are in front of the ac condenser & radiator stacks compromising with additional heat load the ability of air to flow thru to the ac & radiator cores.

As for a WTA IC am I reading correctly you plan to put it in the grille ??? If so, Id revisit the location of that in front of the existing stack.

AC is full width, trans, engine and PS stack is on drivers side to about half way across, leaves passenger side available for heat exchanger. I live where I need to haul water to underground tank. Normally I use an 86 Ford 350 CS with a 500 gallon tank. This morning I slid the tank to the Chevy and did the run. Also pull a trailer with a 1000 gallon tank. That's a 4000 lb load plus the truck, and a 10000 lb pull. 2000 ft clumb in about two miles on a gravel road in low range. Temps stayed right on the tstat at 85 degrees ambient with AC on. Point is that I think I got some BTU room for the added heat exchanger. Mechanically it's not quite as thick as the combined stack is so will fit nicely. Intercooler is 4.5 x 5.5 x 14 and will sit above the driver's side valve cover. System is rated for 600CFM with a 1 lb drop at max flow. Chart says IAT will hold ambient +15 at 18 psi boost with 1100CFM fan. Way better than I need but I don't trust specs much anymore.

This aux fan was only used on 454's. Sounds like in the last 18 years somebody has modified yours quite a bit.

Hey Ferm,
I might agree with you, BUT, the wiring harness appears factory. Has the split harness covers taped up at the ends and wire colors match up. Relays are factory type mountd in line with the rest along the top firewall. I doubt any 'john doe' would do the job that well.

It was cheaper for the OEM to put the relay plugs and stuff in all the harness's than it was to make a bunch of cutom harness's. I know I ran into this alot with CHRYSLER as they would put plugs in for everything, but only use half of them.

Elec fan I think runs at slower rpm than the engine fan. This creats a slow down of the air movement caused by the elec fan. That was the way the deere tractor mechanic explained it to me n warned me it would hurt not help air movement at higher than idle rpms. Hey I am a cowboy, darn good one. Cowboying is easier, dont have to bruise my brain like this. Physics n me dont jive, I still say if the elevator is falling that jumping straight up at the last minute should save you! LOL

Orrum, couple of good points but not always true, fans and cowboys. It's not the rpm of the fan it's the cfm thru the fan size. For cowboys, here's a test: If you wanna ride a proud horse when do you cut em???

answer: never

Nother Q, when are guys in western shirts, jeans and boots attracted to girls in straw hats with pink feathers? When they drive trucks instead of horses. Why? cause they are both wannabees.

LOL We derailing the heck outa your thread but u got a lotta good ones there. I always tell my girlfriends, they get all impressed with how fancy I ride. Hey u cant tell I got one leg on a horse, specially with a vicadan in my system. Anyway I tell em a cowboy comes into this world bald, toothless and penniless! Then I tell em I still got my hair! LOL

Back