• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ARP main stud instructions

Yup. Thats why I want a couple new gm bolts and arp studs for test. I will also test with my old bolts that have been installed twice now to see difference. They follow same torque procedure as headbolts which we all replace after one use. I have reused them twice on many engines without failure. Gm says head bolts once and nothing mentioned on main bolts. Thinking about it, wonder what military manual says.
Also- S.O.P. All military manuals is never reuse locking washers of any kind, ever.

Then again, military says 6.5 is good to 240f - I think that f in this case doubles as the lead in to what the result is- fubar.

I’ll have to do the math in that. Ballparking it -it is close to 6,000 psi. Still painful pricetag.
Playing the back and forth miscommunication game with a Chinese seller on fleabay trying to get specs on the rams they sell. if one they have works, I might get away with under $500 into this whole thing.
Speaking of 6,000 psi and chinesium parts...image.jpg

We are getting closer folks. 1-2 days out for some accurate numbers.
I will have at minimum exactly what torque on ARP main studs apply exact clamp force as factory bolts, but will have far less main web/ block stress. So that means anyone can buy studs, install, NOT NEED align hone/ bore because factory clamp for being identical wont distort main caps.

I have old sets of main bolts and new main bolts to look for variations due to stretch. I will find ARP nut torque to clamp force scale so people can make better estimations of how much to torque beyond that if they choose to bore/hone and torque beyond factory clamp levels for cap walk and cap lift concerns on high power builds, but there is one last math component waiting to verify.

There is someone behind the scenes that I would love to thank for really making this happen more affordably but they might want to be anonymous so until they say so...I will leave it at THANK YOU MYSTERY MAN!!!

Oh my this is taking a long time. But a torque wrench is on the table with everything hooked up right now!! Woo hoo.

I stepped inside to get find the factory torque specs and make a sheet to write down everything as I go. Absolutely numbers will be done before this weekend. I’m Still dealing with sore belly and light duty so teaching my son to properly torque not jerk it Is next.

I am asking for ANYONE that has any different MAIN bolt torque specs than what I show here to please post it.

This is the latest torque specs I have from anything. Note it has the 10mm bolts listed.
It is from printing #05745159 for Hummers. I do not know if it is for GM or GEP listings, but the individual that sent me it said it is from a 2004 Hummer book. At that point ONLY GEP should have been in use

The 12 mm main bolts are EXACTLY the same part from gm 6.2-6.5- gep 6.5.
The 10mm main bolts are EXACTLY the same part from gm 6.5 and gep 6.5.
The main caps on gep are the gm maincaps up through 2010 that I can find on 6.5.

Note- all the hummer manuals (2-60 here) call for NEVER reusing the main cap bolts just like head bolts. They are considered TTY one use only. The only function they serve is the preload testing of bearing clearance, then once all clearance is good, remove and discard them.
I have read GM manuals that never said to discard main bolts, but the same manuals never said to discard head bolts either. Imo this is clerical error and ALL main and head bolts should be ONE USE ONLY. I have gotten away with reusing them both in the past-but will never recommend it again.

Page 2-82 is the new book for use with 12 and 10 mm bolt engines.
page 2-99 is from the 1995 hummer book when only 12mm bolt engines were made by GM.
D8F5BF6A-023F-456F-A99B-2AA8EFF3CED8.jpegB56B31DB-188B-447A-990D-784131101AC0.jpeg

Attachments

• FE2E90A7-25F7-4944-A520-C39419102720.jpeg
    FE2E90A7-25F7-4944-A520-C39419102720.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 4
I also have this page. I believe it is a compilation page and therefore may have incorrect info possibly. Note the difference in torque. 5F33C11F-06E2-42E4-8E1F-66B1ACC356AC.jpeg

The reason torque specs are listed is most don't truly understand how to do TTY bolts and a torque number is easier ...

The way the torque specs were achieved is to use a new bolt, say a head bolt, install them per TTY instructions,, then with a torque wrench slowly incress the wrench setting and attempt to turn said bolt until the bolt barely moves, that will be the same torque load as TTY is...

Here’s what I have in paper. I have this 1993 G van manual.

720F9277-10F5-477B-ACC8-0867E3CB486D.jpeg

Unfortunately it says to look at the C/K manual for detailed specs, but it does have the torque values, for what it’s worth.

75C60263-B576-4AA6-9631-74340F99D4B2.jpegFB59ECAE-0FC0-4DC7-8A94-5D57C5CA4F15.jpeg

I also have this 1992 GM 6.5 diesel service training guide.

38AECA8D-9B28-4FA4-B4B3-52BBA8939599.jpegADC18ACE-A55E-4267-B703-4AC04BC9A2CC.jpeg

Here are the torque specs (these of course are for 12mm outer bolts.

E5A38296-5C5A-4A76-AD0B-AC0B3A20A2FE.jpeg

Here is the tightening information. It doesn’t say to discard used bolts, in fact it tells you to add sealant to used bolts. Obviously this is old data and their recommended procedures could have changed, I’m just sharing for more info in the pot.

F77B6CB1-12A3-4DEA-9E37-E628B0B346EF.jpeg

Just for funsies, here is the head bolt info.

709884E5-9166-4A49-8A49-3EC8B92F014A.jpeg37DD117E-3F91-4324-9A02-4D1E7CAF7B3C.jpeg

It doesn’t say to discard used bolts, in fact it tells you to add sealant to used bolts. Obviously this is old data and their recommended procedures could have changed, I’m just sharing for more info in the pot.

Back