• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone running a big CB amp with a 6.5?

great white

Reaction score
I'm planing to try a CB amp with my new cobra 29 rig.

Now, lets get this out of the way right off:

Anything that boosts the CB watt output past the 4 watt FCC maximum is illegal and can net you some pretty hefty fines.

I'm planning to but a Texas Star DX 250:

http://www.texasstar.com/id6.html

Says "250" on it, but the pills are probably only gonna give around 160w by the component rating. I chose this one becuase it's classed as an AB and is supposed to have a very clean signal (little or no splatter).

Anyone running something like this or bigger?

I'm wondering if the RF is going to cause issues with the electronics in the 1998 truck (IE: PCM, etc)....

Is it 4 watts? Thought it was 5..?

I have an old Midland that's been 'massaged' and a Turner mic. Not in service yet. Used this deal when I drove for a living.

BJ I'm running a peaked Uniden 66 or 122SSB depending on vehicle I'm in, with good atmospherics on good day I can get out about 20 miles (the 122 goes a little farther out with SSB) both radios pushing more power than it came with another of Tim's tool time "more power" arh-arh-arh projects anyway the extra oomph hasn't/doesent do anything to the vehicle or other electronics Running Wilson 1000 mag base antennas.

Not too many CB talkers anymore most guys running bluetooth cell conversations these days from what I see, but I keep mine on to hear/report speed traps, but even not many folks reporting those anymore

BJ I'm running a peaked Uniden 66 or 122SSB depending on vehicle I'm in, with good atmospherics on good day I can get out about 20 miles (the 122 goes a little farther out with SSB) both radios pushing more power than it came with another of Tim's tool time "more power" arh-arh-arh projects anyway the extra oomph hasn't/doesent do anything to the vehicle or other electronics Running Wilson 1000 mag base antennas.

Not too many CB talkers anymore most guys running bluetooth cell conversations these days from what I see, but I keep mine on to hear/report speed traps, but even not many folks reporting those anymore

hey Tim, nice to hear from you.

I'm not worried about the truck 'tronics messing with the radio, it's the other way around. To much Rf tends to shut down those fancy bits attached to our old oil burners.....

I'll be running the cobra 29 NW WX BT on about a 2 watt deadkey (haven't figured out the swing yet) into the Texas Star DX 250 amp. Antenna is a Wilson FGT-5B drill through mounted in the roof.

Started off as something to listen to on the drive across the Continent, but like everything else I do I just can't seem to keep it "small"!

Maybe I'll catch you on the skip sometime.......;)

That is what I was referring to BJ RF from my radio does not mess with the trucks tron systems, power you are contemplating is what might be :) on my 122 radio I'll not confirm nor deny what is actually on it.

PM NVMTNLION (John) he's a ham operator and works installing radio equipment in county vehicles and 6.5 guy so could shed some light on how far you could go power wise in your 6.5.

I dunno tim, unless you have one hefty set (IE: illegally modified), I don't think you're broadcasting 160-200 watts.

Most sets, even peaked and tuned, swing around 18-40 watts without an add on amp....

I had a TEXAS STAR 400 watt back in the day in my JEEP that would swing 525 EASILY. I was pushing a COBRA 25 into it with a 7 watt dead key and a 25-27 watt swing, worked nicely and would hit the other coast on clear nights(and open automatic doors at 100 yards along with set off motion lights at 150 yards). I have no experience with a diesel, but it never bothered my old style EFI my JEEP had. I would think with a good antenna mounted above the cab that the cab's ground plane would shield most any RF from the vehicles electronics. Just run a good high quality mini 8 cable or better and I would say you'll be fine.

Back