• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

anybody try ''starbrite startron'' additives ?

I went to wallyworld this eve and they no longer carry Startron. I used the last I had today when I mixed a fresh batch of 50:1 for one of the Stihl saws after I put a new carburator on it PRECISELY BECAUSE ethanol ruined the original one.
Anybody know where I can get some?
Edit: I see WM says they keep it in the boat equipment aisle...Sheesh!

Turns out I got sent out on a quest by the boss today - if I wanted to eat a nice dinner...;) and stopped at WM. Sure enough, there it was right under the sign that said trolling motors. Right where you would normally look for it. :rolleyes:

Lots of guys also use Seafoam also Mike. Just an alternative. I still use Stabil.
I keep Stabil on hand too and use it on the 4 stroke designated gas that is for equipment that has less sensitive carburators than the small 2 stroke equipment. That's where the Startron goes.

Lots of guys also use Seafoam also Mike. Just an alternative. I still use Stabil.

SEAFOAM actually makes the effects of ethanol worse as it is an alchol based product. STARTRON works, and works well and is what I personally use in my small sensitive 2 strokes. The other thing I do as I got tired of cleaning out my chainsaw carbs is to drain teh tank after using it and run it out of fuel. No fuel in teh tank or carb=nothing to go bad.

I got lucky a station nearby started selling non ethanol fuel. So all my small engines get that plus Stabil, Startron, and Seafoam.

For my small engines that are going to sit for a long time I empty tank run it out of fuel then put enough TruFuel in the tank to crank it up and refil carb. Note should only be above fuel in it anyway but TruFuel is suppose to last up to 5 years sealed.

Local Stihl dealer said they prefer that to an empty tank and dry diaphrams in in carb.

My saws get used often and I don't like the little carbs drying out so I've settled on the Startron there as well as the weed trimmers and blowers. The 4 stroke equipment, I have had good luck leaving them filled and with Stabil and now a bit of Startron for good measure. All of it starts well after sitting several months.

The Stihl dealer talked me into the trufuel when I bought my hedge trimmer. I figure I'd use it for that as it sits much longer than than anything else. I am hoping it will be easier on hoses and stuff. Most other stuff gets used enough not to worry so much. Haven't had too many problems lately knock on wood

I keep Stabil on hand too and use it on the 4 stroke designated gas that is for equipment that has less sensitive carburators than the small 2 stroke equipment. That's where the Startron goes.

I have only used Stabil. It has worked well for me. I will get some Startron and try that next.

SEAFOAM actually makes the effects of ethanol worse as it is an alchol based product. STARTRON works, and works well and is what I personally use in my small sensitive 2 strokes. The other thing I do as I got tired of cleaning out my chainsaw carbs is to drain teh tank after using it and run it out of fuel. No fuel in teh tank or carb=nothing to go bad.

On the arborists website, most all of the engine builders use this seafoam and swear by it for its cleaning properties. I had not heard anything negative about Stabil, and thought Startron was more marine oriented. :???:

SEAFOAM is good for cleaning and decarboning, but sucks for stopping the effects of ethanol and phase seperation as it is an alchol based cleaner which adds to the ethanol problem.

Back