• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any news on the 3.0L I6 Duramax?

Its not just you with that opinion. Even big rig owner operators and small semi fleets are buying “new” semis that are basically 2/3 new, then getting old transplanted engines like the ol series 60 detroit ddec back in the mid 90’sof course rebuilt completely for reliability. Glider or Gliding is the term iirc. They are not allowed to drive California, but everywhere else. Breakdown time is less, support is easier found anywhere, repair costs are less, even allowed to still use paper log books still.

Seems to me that the marketing bar to beat is Ferd's 150. Weight rating is up to 18,100# GCWR for 2019.

Well lets talk about the Ford F150 a minute. Yesterday I saw one towing a 30 some foot bumper pull camper and the poor F150 looked like a 747 taking off. I swear it looked like the rear bumper was about to drag the ground. The guy was with two other campers and trucks, I know one of the other ones was a nice looking Chevy Avalanche. The Chevy was towing a pretty good sized camper also but it didn't appear to be squatted down as much. The third truck might have been a 3/4 ton truck and camper, heck I couldn't take my eyes off of that poor F150.

I know the direction those guys was traveling, in about 12 miles they were about to encounter an eight percent grade (climb) with about a 7 percent grade going down hill on the other side. I have pulled campers across that mountain before, I wouldn't have been driving that F150 for anything. :nailbiting:

It all boils down to some people thinking since their truck has a powerful Eco Boost engine that it will man handle a big camper that a 3/4 or ton truck should be towing.

Definitely not arguing practicality of whether some people know how to load the weight . . . If that 150 was a bumper pull and squatting, was more likely a driver issue than the vehicle and, given the description, a lack of a WD hitch appears likely. Depending on the age of the 150, the older ones are true 1/2 tons where the current generations are more capable. As a comparison, my current tow vehicle pulls that length RV with an IRS / struts and has zero squat. Combined is ~15K#. Naturally, a weight distribution hitch in my rig plays a large part in the lack of squat.

FWIW, that Avalanche was available in a 3/4 ton suspension which might explain its appearance with the trailer in tow. Or it could have had a 1/2 ton suspension with a WD hitch.

The point of the discussion is that I have no confidence that GM marketing team will avoid going down the 'we-gotta-up-our-numbers-to-one-up-the-competition' path either. And, am sure that they will have the Legal folks work to back-up the marketing claim with some limited-scope engineering test that was executed in ideal conditions ;)

So, Yes, the marketing target to beat is 18.1K# and I have confidence that GM will work to get there no matter how limited the test scenario . . . Operator intelligence is a completely different topic . . .

I come across that news this afternoon.. such a bummer! That was likely my next truck this summer, but it appears I'll be waiting a bit. I'm assuming this fall (later) we might see it.

This statement in the article was a bit off:

The 3.0-liter Duramax engine is GM's first turbodiesel in a full-size GM pickup since 1997.

I'm assuming they mean GM's first diesel in a half-ton? When did the 6.5 stop?

Can we talk about an engine that GM promoted and actually rolled out on time? I think the last one on time was in the 1950's. Some one over there must be on the same pie in the sky schedule as elon musk uses.

imo GM needs to take a page from Honda since they are never first to market anyways: sit back, let the other mfrs have all the problems and come out with the new and improved version 3 years behind everyone else. Then run that unit for a decade or longer. Think of how well they did with the small block engines. Same with ls engine. simple bore/stroke alterations with fueling (carburetor) improvements every few years. take 5 years before releasing the next ignition "improvement" then when it hits it actually is an improvement.

It's pretty dumb really. complete alteration of every thing in the engine bay every few years... why? build a good base and go with it.

Hey!!! Be nice now. LOL

I was really interested in that 4.5 V8 Diesel that they shelved. Exhaust through the inside top, Intake on the outside. Reversed from current engines. That was narrower and innovative, but.... it seems to be gone. 😏

Yes- that engine is a prime example though. Why on earth should any of us know that engine was ever a theory. It obviously didn’t cut the mustard unfortunately so was discarded. It’s like the PR dept has nothing to work with so they.go snooping in the R&D building. “Oh look, Black matter drives! Let's put that in a commercial.”

Ever see the documentary on how the c-7 was developed and brought into production? The engineer on the cooling system looked panicked as hell watching the test drive in front of the public. Then it overheated and they said a safety device kept it from starting so they towed it away. BS. That engine seized and it was so obvious! Safety device of rings grabbing the cylinder walls so it didn’t grenade! Haha.

Next thing ya know they stole some air from the braking system and the brakes overheated, but the change helped the engine shed enough heat.

They just need to pump the brakes. Not on the c-7, on the entire R&D- PR- sales floor pattern. It used to work back in the 70’s. They changed how that all operates and we have seen pass the buck panicking every since.

Innovation is good. But remember there used to be Buick and Pontiac for that. And Buicks & Pontiacs had higher warranty issues but by the time the gadgets hit Cadillac and Chevy- amazing levels of reliability. And consumers new more hiccups but you get an advanced low price rig in exchange for it.
Now we need the “X-Class”. Latest tech w/ fun gadgets at a bit over production cost. Just know you will be in the shop 2-3 times a year, with crappy warranty but your truck could tow 75,000lbs and do a 10 second 1/4 mile. Then 2-3 years later, a super reliable pickup that tows 25000 and does a 13 second 1/4 mile with a reliability through the roof.

From what I've read, this isn't GM's fault. If you want to blame somebody, blame VW and FIAT. This is the EPA holding it up certifying the engine. The same thing happened to the Colorado because the EPA just KNEW GM used the cheat like VW did. It was found even though Bosch put the cheat in ALL the software, GM didn't use it. Then it was found that FIAT used the cheat in the RAM with the 3.0l ECODIESEL(hence why they haven't had a diesel 1500 for 2019, the epa made them stop building/selling them until the lawsuit was settled). So I'm betting the epa is scrutinizing the new GM diesel because how long the Ram snuck by with the cheat in place.

From what I've read, this isn't GM's fault. If you want to blame somebody, blame VW and FIAT. This is the EPA holding it up certifying the engine. The same thing happened to the Colorado because the EPA just KNEW GM used the cheat like VW did. It was found even though Bosch put the cheat in ALL the software, GM didn't use it. Then it was found that FIAT used the cheat in the RAM with the 3.0l ECODIESEL(hence why they haven't had a diesel 1500 for 2019, the epa made them stop building/selling them until the lawsuit was settled). So I'm betting the epa is scrutinizing the new GM diesel because how long the Ram snuck by with the cheat in place.

Agreed. The EcoDiesel is suppose to return "redesigned" by 2020 model last I heard.

Back