• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AM General/GEP' New 6.5 6500 Optimizer

I just got off the phone with a company that sells these am general engines. No intake, no ip, no injectors. You get the engine with heads that's it. But they want $5800 delivered. No core. My 6.5 is still running very well. It's a 2000 so from what I've been told it could run to 250-300 thousand miles if I maintain it. I am restoring the truck and if I could sell my engine for 2000.00 I'd consider the swap. So what's the verdict on these am general engines?

Why? If you are getting 100K - 200K out of the older crack prone blocks, can get a low mile surplus 6.2 long block for $1000... How many surplus military blocks can you get and do a re-ring on for $5800? I would put the restoration money on other things. With studs and rings you are at $2k per engine. Your upper limit is around 200K average before you need head gaskets.

That said the price isn't bad if it is the real deal.

6.2 bottom end with 6.5 upper end is a very capable combination, still plenty of 6.2 blocks around, unless you can come up with a "killer deal" on a GEP block I'd look very close at the 6.2/6.5 combination.

Back