• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AM General/GEP' New 6.5 6500 Optimizer

chevytrucksonly

Dixie Ridge Runner
Reaction score
250 HP, A 22% INCREASE
550 LB-FT, A 25% Increase OVER 440 LB-FT

210 AMP ALT STD,
400 AMP ALT OPT
HIGHER TURBOCHARGER BOOST PRESSURE WITH IMPROVED FLOW OUTLET
NEW MOTOR DRIVEN ACTUATOR FOR WASTEGATE CONTROL

STRONGER, THICKER CROSS SECTION CONNECTING RODS
HIGH STRENGTH,FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT
NEW DUCTILE IRON LADDER FRAME/GIRDLE REPLACING INDIVIDUAL MAIN BEARING CAPS
NEW CHARGE AIR INTERCOOLER
RECALIBRATED HIGH OUTPUT ELECTRONIC FUEL PUMP

Attachments

• New 6500 Optimizer.jpg
    New 6500 Optimizer.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 71
Old news.

Been out since about 2008.

That's the p400 and it's the hummer variant, not the "garden variety" 6500 optimizer.

All you get for your money is a bare p400 long block. You dont even get injectors or glow plugs. The rest of the "gucci" stuff comes with the H1 the p400 comes wrapped in.

Drop the p400 long block in a gmt400 with gmt400 turbo, fuel system, etc and you'll get gmt400 performance.

IOW; 185-215 hp, approx 350-400 ft/lbs...

Old news.

That's the p400 and it's the hummer variant, not the "garden variety" 6500 optimizer.

All you get for your money is a bare p400 long block. You dont even get injectors or glow plugs. The rest of the "gucci" stuff comes with the H1 the p400 comes wrapped in.

Drop the p400 long block in a gmt400 with gmt400 turbo, fuel system, etc and you'll get gmt400 performance.

sounds like that is info on the N/A engine, http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/gep/specifications.php , chevytrucksonly, sounds like your info is on the marine versions, http://boatstoreonline.com/mddurable.html .

Facts

Sir, with all due respect most of what you state is not clear or accurate. This is not a P400 Longblock or a Marine 6500, according to the documentation and schematics that GEP sent me, it is the "High Output SCCS Optimizer 6500" if I could load the PDF files I would. it has been out for a couple of years-but not to the public.
I only posted this for the sake of informational facts, since it's so difficult to get current data from AMGeneral.

Michael

Old news.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does SCCS stand for?

Maybe something a different marketing brochure. The question is is it a new pickup truck (oil pan compatiable with truck/suburban) version then mabye its new. But like GW posted its probably not a pickup truck drop in is what GW is saying.

It could be a VAN - Truck morph or something??? It appears to be a centermount turbo whereas trucks are side mounted. Then that too is not a "drop in" and would require a new truck exhaust????

Don't take offense to replys tell us more about the background of what you are doing and truck info.

............... if I could load the PDF files I would......................l
there is NO reason why you can't load the PDF file, i think you CHOOSE not to. show us the PROOF and we might start to believe you. the OP was so vague, it was as if YOU were looking for something. just do it, with all due respect................

Thanks
Just trying to stay clear about the post-nothing personal intended if it was taken that way. SCCS - I don't know.What I do know is it seems it a commercial level application delivery vans as you eluded to etc-I do know that CAT has contracted with GEP to use these in certain applications.
My reason for posting this data was to share some of the technology advances that GEP is developing for this engine that has been applied to this model, which will be available on the other engines-like the supercharger option they are offering. I wouldn't imagine it's a drop in for a truck, but more than likely converted to fit.
Whats up with me and my trucks is I trying to decide what GEP engine to use and what options to apply when I order it.

Thank You for the suggestions sir
Michael

What does SCCS stand for?

Maybe something a different marketing brochure. The question is is it a new pickup truck (oil pan compatiable with truck/suburban) version then mabye its new. But like GW posted its probably not a pickup truck drop in is what GW is saying.

It could be a VAN - Truck morph or something??? It appears to be a centermount turbo whereas trucks are side mounted. Then that too is not a "drop in" and would require a new truck exhaust????

Don't take offense to replys tell us more about the background of what you are doing and truck info.

I'm not trying to get into a pee-ing match here, so I'll just suggest you go to google, enter "p400" "diesel" "page" and hit search.

Open the first link that shows up, read the content and note the thread date.

The block with the cast "girdle" is a p400 casting.

You get the bare long block when you order it.

I've done this dance with GEP before.

If you want the toughest block by all means get the p400, but unless you upgrade your trucks systems you can expect stock power levels.

I'm not trying to get into a pee-ing match here, so I'll just suggest you go to google, enter "p400" "diesel" "page" and hit search.

If you want the toughest block by all means get the p400, but unless you upgrade your trucks systems you can expect stock power levels.
X2

Sir, I am only replying to your reply for the purpose of keeping the facts straight about the topic of this post-not to argue or to prove a point.
First, the post is about the SCCS 6500 Optimizer not the p400 which you incorrectly keep referring to.
1) You suggested a link to Jim's articles at TDP - which adds no value to this topic.
2) All GEP's Block have a "girdle".
3) The SCCS 6500 Optimizer is not sold in long block form- it is sold as a complete engine because of the newly developed tech components i.e IP etc. Which are not available on the p400.
4) The p400 can be bought as a Longblock or a complete - ready drop in.
5) The p400 produces 205 hp vs the SCCS optimizer produces 250 hp.

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."
Sir Issac Newton

Respectfully
Michael​

Ok, this is my last try:

Open google, search for - "diesel place factory sccs chart"

Read post #26.

The p400 is the casting number for the block, all girdled GEP engines carry that casting number.

The "regular" optimizer from GEP does not have a "girdle", it is a redesigned 506 casting by international. It is made as a replacement for the h1 and GEP supplies them to gm parts group as 6.5 replacement engines. I currently have a "non girdled" optimizer 6500 506 block in my truck. Bought through gm parts group and built by GEP in the Franklin plant.

A p400 in full sccs trim will not fit into a gmt400 chassis. The center mount turbo system will not clear the firewall. Extensive sheet metal work would be required. The hvac would also most likely have to be removed or extensively reworked. The oil pan as delivered will not fir in a 4x4 gmt400 either.

Believe these facts or don't, your call. But I've investigated these options before, and have corresoponded with the factory myself.

Like I said, I've done this dance before...

;)

Sir, I am only replying to your reply for the purpose of keeping the facts straight about the topic of this post-not to argue or to prove a point.
First, the post is about the SCCS 6500 Optimizer not the p400 which you incorrectly keep referring to.
2) All GEP's Block have a "girdle".

Sorry, but this is not correct. The Optimizer 6500 AMG blocks do not have a girdle, they are standard 4 bolt main caps.
GEPPistonsin4.jpg

Here is a picture of the main caps in my AMG block. Its basically an improved GM 6.2/6.5 block

Sorry, but this is not correct. The Optimizer 6500 AMG blocks do not have a girdle, they are standard 4 bolt main caps.
GEPPistonsin4.jpg

Here is a picture of the main caps in my AMG block. Its basically an improved GM 6.2/6.5 block

I don't have pics on this computer, but my AMG block looks exactly like bobbiemartin's.

I just got off the phone with a company that sells these am general engines. No intake, no ip, no injectors. You get the engine with heads that's it. But they want $5800 delivered. No core. My 6.5 is still running very well. It's a 2000 so from what I've been told it could run to 250-300 thousand miles if I maintain it. I am restoring the truck and if I could sell my engine for 2000.00 I'd consider the swap. So what's the verdict on these am general engines?

I just got off the phone with a company that sells these am general engines. No intake, no ip, no injectors. You get the engine with heads that's it. But they want $5800 delivered. No core. My 6.5 is still running very well. It's a 2000 so from what I've been told it could run to 250-300 thousand miles if I maintain it. I am restoring the truck and if I could sell my engine for 2000.00 I'd consider the swap. So what's the verdict on these am general engines?

The verdict is that I hope they're still making them by the time I'm done with 6.5 in my '99.

Teds truck seems to have a great deal. Some here say bad experience some love his product. Ill drive to nj and pick out what I want.

Back