• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator ?

hookedup50

Reaction score
I've been watching the factory volt guage go from 13.6 and slowly drop to 11 ish over the last week. I got a new remy on order from rock and got a AD244 that Ferm said was a better upgrade. My question is. The truck started fishbiting about the time I started noticing the Alt taking a crap. Am I assuming correctly that not enough voltage would cause a new fishbite condition. PMD is new, fuel system is new and had fishbite from sock that is now deleted. Grounds are clean. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I figure its like HEI on a gasser when the alternator staerts going south. I'm just paranoid. Whenever I get this truck running how I like it, something else happens. The alternator it the only old part left on the truck. I want to get it painted and then either stuff my Grand wagoneer body on a 6.5 military blazer or a 6.5 in the jeep. I can't decide which direction is best.

The batteries tested out OK. The alternator was spewing out grey dust and was smelling like clutch burn or that smell(every now and then) when a little old lady leaves the parking brake on and drives. I was lucky to get home from Boston the other night. Today, I am going to vacuum and charge the AC system and finally replace the oem tranny mount with prothane one. I also need to adjust the rear brakes again. Seems like every 3k for that. Does anyone have adjusters that actually work on these trucks?

Nope, your not alone with the rear adjusters not working. You have to make sure and stomp them in reverse to get them to do anything.

I found that a light coating of nickle anti seize on the threads helped. Idk how much the humidity difference makes it worse, but when I spoke to other fleet guys they always seemed to fight that more than I did.

I adjust the rears every other oil change. I hate obsolete rear drums. However with expensive shoes they work well. Using Wagner on mine that cost ~$100 a set.

My next project will be to delete the rear drums and convert to disc. I figure with 210K miles I'm looking at shoes and drums which is most of the way cost wise to a set of rear disc brakes.

Rear discs are on my list as well. I've got as way to go before the shoes wear out though. The new alternator got rid of the fishbite.

Well the alternator was bad, but the fishbite was not from the low voltage. It didn't fishbite for 2 days and started again yesterday I believe. I started watching the FP guage and at heavy throttle it was going down to 5#. At WOT with the walbro Leroy sold me it never goes below 9#. I changed out the prefilter Leroy sold me and the FFM in the engine bay. FP back to normal. The good news is that there was no slime, meaning my biocide program that I use from WarWagon's thread is working. The filters lasted 5 months, but who knows what crap was in the new tank from manufacturing.

Back