• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator Support Bracket

renaissance

Reaction score
Just lost an alternator and belt on a '95 Yukon. When I bought it in December, previous owner had told me he had just put on a new alternator because the old one had a cracked housing at the lower mounting bolt.

Here's what I found. I remembered reading about alternator bracing and vibration from a diesel, so I checked my '94 donor. Sure enough, there was a support bracket for the alternator coming up off the intake manifold mounting bolts. There was no support for the alternator on the '95 Yukon.

2 broken housing at the lower mount in less than 4 months is a pretty good indicator of the importance of the alternator support. Mine failed on a country road. If it had happened in traffic - no steering and even worse, no brakes, could have been 019.JPG BAD.

I have one sitting on my bench for putting a CS144 onto a 92-95. I made it for my BURB. I also have the upper bracket laying around somewhere. Wish I would have known when you were here, would have gave it to yeah.

Upgrade to a CS-144, a much more reliable alt, and build your own rear support bracket or beg one off Leroy. - Remember to keep your special sized diesel alt pulley.

I also found that bag of sensors I told you about. I looked and couldn't find the top bracket for the CS-144 to a 95, but I do have the rear support bracket layed out.

Back