• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Allison peed her pants today

Running DEX3 won't hurt it in any way. Actually early 6 speeds got factory filled by ALLISON with TES-389 fluid(DEX 3), and GM simply topped them off with DEX VI on the assembly line(each and every ALLISON is dyno'd before being installed). ALLISON released a bulleting saying until around 05/06 they didn't use seals compatible with DEX VI, but GM said it was fine.

Ok, I figured I could find steel braided oil cooler lines for the allison but they dont seem to exist. Does any one know where to find these?

All I have found it trans cooler line repair kits, not sure thats what I want

If you can tell me what hose ends are needed I might could get some hoses made up for you??

I love paying for overnight shipping and not seeing anything in the mail for a couple days.

I really need to get my truck up and going. I have 2 trailers full of trash to haul off from my dads housing addition and time is running out on me borrowing his furd.

FML...

I got all the lines on fired up the old whore and blew my oil cooler even after using a back up wrench.

Bypassing w/ male to male fitting for now...

Leroy is going to try and get me a large oil cooler.

For an 06" your pretty well limited to the OEM or SATRAB(Mike L./PPE) cooler. It is a pretty odd size cooler as it is only about 4 inches tall, but something like 28 inches wide.

Any size will fit if you are willing to fab a bit.

There is 13" from the mount bar to the splash pan, 17.5" between mount holes, 3" of forward space.

486a01688225a97e098ae8170ee29e25.jpg

Also keep in mind it mUST be a high efficiency type stacked plate cooler. I know I ran a B&M super cooler, and it was not up to the task. Also it must be capable of handling 220 pSI of pressure as you can see pressure spikes of 220(or higher) on a cold start.

Comparing Leroy's cooler to the stocker.

924ded855c6769f0e61a992e8cb9aa5e.jpg

Holes drilled in the original top mount. Use 5/16 bit, 2 1x1/4 bolts, 2 lock nuts, 6 washers total (2 between the cooler and bracket and 1 under the nut).

f9c79af05be4654868f2ef503fc368a9.jpg

Marked and drilled 2 holes in the lower core support, reused the original thread insert clips and bolts from the top mount.

735c1015e3c1aeb8af2b3db6a30d4dd3.jpg

This moves the original top mount up 1⅝”, I used self taping screws here because I didn't have the right length of bolt to keep from hitting the condensor. Looked like 1.75-2" bolt on my truck. I also put 3 washers between the top mount and core support.

7dfd8e76ba37e9928a1c575014436c99.jpg

I have more pics for later. If this cooler doesn't improve my cooling I cal always use it for a 6.5 engine cooler

Can't say if this has improved my cooling. I went from amsoil x transynd blend to the cheapest Dex 3 I could find. I also obviously drained my fluid at wot and could have done some damage.

I was grossing 25-30k w/ a load of hay immediately after this and temps stayed 160-175* w/ a couple hard pulls (I went 3/4 throttle every chance I got) and it seemed solid.

W/o cooler on the same trips I was running same as ect.

If that doesn't work, try the earls 82500

adapter fittings may or may not be needed...IIRC your fittings from the old cooler should unscrew and screw right into the earls...

That looks like a B&M cooler. I ran one and swapped it out for an EARLS because the temps weren't much better than with a stocker. Only the bottom half of it ever got warm. The EARLS uses the stock -10 fittings with o-ring seal, the B&M uses 1/2" pipe(there is no 5/8" pipe thread, and 5/8 flare is -10).

Back