• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Allison peed her pants today

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
06 LBZ 6 speed:

I've been having issues w/ limping in 2nd under load w/ over 1/2 throttle for over 1yr. Monday it limped harder than I had ever felt, didn't feel right the past few days but it kept going and was full of fluid.

That brings me to today. I was climbing through a sand hill w/ a 1600# bale and it limped. Cleared the codes and mashed it when I got out the truck felt like it dropped to N. Got out and a oil cooler line had cracked and blew all of my oil out...

Just taking a guess but it looks like nows as good of time as any for that Inglewood tranny.

Any advice is appreciated

Not so sure Inglewood is the BEST choice for what you do. Not saying it isn't but you probably need to do some research as to who else has a quality Allison that is for something you actually need. You can probably get yours rebuilt. If nothing else, I hear of quite a few going to the LML spec converter because it's less prone to fail.

Not so sure Inglewood is the BEST choice for what you do. Not saying it isn't but you probably need to do some research as to who else has a quality Allison that is for something you actually need. You can probably get yours rebuilt. If nothing else, I hear of quite a few going to the LML spec converter because it's less prone to fail.
The LML converter is only marginally better than a stock LBZ converter, but it's looser so it's a trade off(better lockup clutch, but higher stall). Need to decide what you want from it, then find a builder if your not comfortable doing it yourself. Be honest with your power goals for it so you don't end up spending more in the long run. Also now keep in mind, you may need other hard parts if you've limped it a bunch of times as well as running it out of oil. So plan on some extra added onto it.

I know what your saying but I figure after I get 10-30 over injectors, get the lp installed, get the tuning bumped back up, and try to use it for play more than work then I better back it w/ a solid trans.

I'm up for opinions on a good trans for towing heavy and getting stupid at times.

Limped maybe a dozen times over the past 2yrs, I typically run out of fuel before I limp the trans.

The fuel issue will be dealt with this winter and any other issues will be taken care of. I have $ set aside for it from when I was considering getting a new truck. I had the tranny closer to the bottom on my to do list. I guess it will be closer to the top now haha.

To make the situation worse....

b7e0edbcfd1de3a82525abbd2ba35c72.jpg

No its a pro-spear/pro-fab. Deweeze is too dang expensive.

That was dads first and last pro spear. Typically run bramco or butler (local). There is a local machine shop that just patented their own arm beds, looking forward to them getting rolling, they have 6 beds out and going and have had very few issues to fix so far.

OK, I'm going to patch up the line and see what it does. Not a permanent fix, just try to get by until I get a new trans or at least so it can get to a shop under its own power.

Do these take Dex 4 or 5? I can't remember what the standard cheap stuff is

For the 6 speed the factory says Dex VI but Allison says TES295 Transynd. If I were in your shoes, I'd put Dex III in it for now.

I have about 5 gal of transynd and still have 2.5 gal amsoil. I just don't want to waste good fluid.

I'll get Dex 3 and report back

I have a wix brand spin on filter to use too.

6-8 qts with pulling the drain plug depending how much the TC dumps. 16 total IIRC

Thanks

I'll get 2.5 gal just wanted n case. I'm sure between being ran dry and draining the last dribble possible out of the plug it will need quite a bit.

Unhooked the crimps, cut the line on the metal end past the rub hole/crack, getting hyd hose and a pile of clamps, wish I could buy a jug of good luck... Haha

Took 11qts....

After 3 burnouts and a boosted launch all is well, or at least back to normal if there is such a thing. I will get braided lines heading my way and Limp along as is until further notice.

I'd like to repaint, get a bale bed, drw conversion, and do injectors before I need to do the tranny.

Truck is off heavy load duty for now, the 93 and 02 will pick up that slack soon I hope.

I definitely did a little dance. Hope she holds together for at least a couple more months.

Should I just keep running Dex 3? Will it hurt anything more than what's already been damaged?

Back